Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRhodes View Post
Well, Yes!! There are several of us here in N. Carolina with lifetime hunting licenses and staunch Democrats. I don't know many Democrats who are anti-gun. I have met several republicans who claim to be pro-gun who can't shoot.
You can be pro gun without owning one or being a crack shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:36 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's really a mistake to associate gun rights with mainstream religious or political groups. Gun control has been restricted to the realm of liberal extreme policies and movements only - like "occupy wall steet", "save the whales", "hug a tree" type movements. This is one reason that you don't see the issue any longer as a big potical debate topic, or talking point platform for the democratic party.

Polls have indicated this - we are at an equilibrium point with our gun laws, most americans are happy with the scope of gun control that they have been regionalliy and nationally. In effect, those extremests on the issue (those with ideas to make guns outright illegal in the US) have lost the debate, and the debate is over. Most politicians won't touch the topic anymore. It's a no-win topic to bring up greater gun control and one will loose votes on both sides.

So you will find all sorts of gun ownership groups - both democratic and republican, and not associated with any religious group.

Franky, I am confused why even the association with religions, strange statement.

Religion is part of the US, no doubt, but don't let it scare you. I have no problem dissassociating one message from the other, you shouldn't have any problem either. But anyways, in contrast to the perceived lack of gun rights groups on the left, those groups dedicated to stronger gun control are regulated to the extreme left of the democratic party.
Thanks Dd714. I can't quite agree with you in that there is a measurable attachment between gun ownership & use and a distinct southern American religious majority. Why is all I ask. Frankly and logically, it's probably very simple, that the folks who have long been associated with, and are happily familiar with guns and their safe & proper use, (as well as being active hunters & fishermen) are also country types, and that cohort is also significantly more religiously oriented. I wish they'd keep religious zeal "in their pants", so to speak. Again, I wanted to see it debated, as to why that seems to be so loudly and constantly denounced such use by the more fervent Dems, but many here have given some very good explanations.

Following is an excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm very close to being an Independent but some of my views put me in the Democrat camp.

I'm for full universal healthcare for our citizens believing that we are only as strong as our weakest link.

I'm for same sex marriage and full GLBT rights in all aspects of life in this country.

I've given financial support to minute man groups on the southern border and actively talk about and promote militarization of that border.

I'm for full deportation of all illegal immigrants and their offspring regardless of their offspring's age.

I'm for the suspension of student visa's sighting the most recent attempt at terrorism in NYC.

I'm an NRA member and fully support our 2nd amendment rights.
My hand gun collection currently stands at 122 guns and counting.

If Republicans would just stop the bigotry against the GLBT community and the fundamentalist Christian B7llSh7t then I would join the party.

Sadly you still see the disease that eats at the Republican party introduced by the animal Jerry Falwell.

He's long since dead but the cancer lives inside the host to this day and eats away at the heart and soul of the party.

Instead of me liking the membership of the GOP, many of it's members make me physically ill and disgusted.

Remove the diseased religious dogma and the bigotry and you'd gain many many members.
As I noted with that hideous YouTube presentation. That boy has his own gun-positive YouTubes, and it also makes me ill to listen to his illiterate and ignorant denouncements, and to be in any way politically associated with such brainless drivel.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Thanks Dd714. I can't quite agree with you in that there is a measurable attachment between gun ownership & use and a distinct southern American religious majority. Why is all I ask. Frankly and logically, it's probably very simple, that the folks who have long been associated with, and are happily familiar with guns and their safe & proper use, (as well as being active hunters & fishermen) are also country types, and that cohort is also significantly more religiously oriented. I wish they'd keep religious zeal "in their pants", so to speak. Again, I wanted to see it debated, as to why that seems to be so loudly and constantly denounced such use by the more fervent Dems, but many here have given some very good explanations.

Following is an excellent post.

As I noted with that hideous YouTube presentation. That boy has his own gun-positive YouTubes, and it also makes me ill to listen to his illiterate and ignorant denouncements, and to be in any way politically associated with such brainless drivel.
Guns have always been part of the south due to it's history and legacy as a rural culture and living off the land, so has military service. At the same time, religion has been part of the south as well. They just go hand in hand. You just have to dissasociate one message from the other, it's not that difficult. But you have to realize, even if you consider their views crazy, they have a right to say it. As much as I hate to hear from religious zealots as well, I find it confusing how much others almost FEAR hearing from them, almost to the degree of wanting to supress free speach and the freedom of religion, why is that? As I see our country turning more and more a-religious, I see them having no lasting effect on the countries culture. So all and all they are harmless. I simply close my ears when they talk, I certainly don't try to supress them.
However, it's interesting that in contrast when I visit all the internet gun forums - I do not see religion mentioned. It's more of a male culture and the topic usually run to - guns (of course), babes, and cars. How much do we discuss religion in this forum? There you go. So I think your fears about religion is overstated.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
To answer the rifleman question, the above post gives a link to the only group of Democrats I've ever heard of that actually support the second amendment, and this group is not well know enough to know for sure that it's whole purpose isn't to undermine groups that are pro 2nd Amendment. From reading your thoughts, rifleman, I suspect you are a staunch liberal, my thoughts are most Conservatives are against more government control and for the Constitution. Most liberals are for more government control and re-writing the Constitution to fit the 'present day needs'. Not all of our founding fathers were Christians, not all of them were conservatives, but most all of them were great men who had a vision. That vision has lasted for many years and helped to make American a great nation. The man in our highest offiice has asked people to join him in changing the greatest nation on earth. Most of his fellow liberals who call themselves Democrats will indeed take our firearms if they can find a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting