Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This is some how a good thing?
Glocks can run and run and run. There are people who have taken them to 2,000+ rounds without any cleaning other than maybe taking a paper towel or something and wiping the carbon buildup off the end of the gun. There are also people who do this on purpose and have found out that a Glock can be taken to 5,000 rounds with nothing more than a drop or two of oil, and you don't even have to take the gun apart for that.

With all of the information on modern handguns out there, it still amazes me that people recommend revolvers. I know there are some nice ones out there, but I highly doubt a revolver could make it even a quarter as far as some of the modern offerings out there from Glock, Walther, HK, FN, Springfield Armory, Ruger, etc, and I would be highly suspicious of anyone that said otherwise.

Quote:
With in reason I know what these parts are.... This of course can't happen on a Colt Govt model
I have a Colt 1911 and I KNOW that it isn't even on the same plane as the Glock, as far as reliability goes. Most 1911s seem to have a hard time getting to 500-600 rounds without cleaning, and even then those are typically 1911s put together by top end manufacturers. I read a lot about torture tests and whatnot and hang around gun sites online... people post a lot of pics.

Quote:
What does 'C' mean as in Glock 19 and Glock 19C ?
Compensated. Comes from the factory with a compensated barrel and a cut slide. Totally unnecessary for a concealed carry firearm, especially one that isn't chambered for a "hot" cartridge e.g. 10mm Auto or .357Sig

Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Glocks can run and run and run. There are people who have taken them to 2,000+ rounds without any cleaning other than maybe taking a paper towel or something and wiping the carbon buildup off the end of the gun. There are also people who do this on purpose and have found out that a Glock can be taken to 5,000 rounds with nothing more than a drop or two of oil, and you don't even have to take the gun apart for that.

With all of the information on modern handguns out there, it still amazes me that people recommend revolvers. I know there are some nice ones out there, but I highly doubt a revolver could make it even a quarter as far as some of the modern offerings out there from Glock, Walther, HK, FN, Springfield Armory, Ruger, etc, and I would be highly suspicious of anyone that said otherwise.

I have a Colt 1911 and I KNOW that it isn't even on the same plane as the Glock, as far as reliability goes. Most 1911s seem to have a hard time getting to 500-600 rounds without cleaning, and even then those are typically 1911s put together by top end manufacturers. I read a lot about torture tests and whatnot and hang around gun sites online... people post a lot of pics.

Compensated. Comes from the factory with a compensated barrel and a cut slide. Totally unnecessary for a concealed carry firearm, especially one that isn't chambered for a "hot" cartridge e.g. 10mm Auto or .357Sig
All of mine posted here..... //www.city-data.com/forum/guns-...addictive.html .........

can and have done 1,000 rounds. Only one is a run of the mill, and even it has been tuned by a 1911 gunsmith.

I also use the special Wilson synthetic oil in all of my 1911s. It does make a difference. It was designed just for 1911s. It won't burn off like other oils will. It's also very very slippery and is even "sticky" so it won't run. Wilson Combat Ultima Lube II and Ultima II Universal.

Regular Wally World Breakfree or WD-40......forget about it.

Even Bill Wilson and Les Baer recommend cleaning and relube every 300-500 rounds like you said though.... That's for max reliabilty.

Their guns can go further though.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
I think all of these " torture test - testimonials " are irrelevant . Go back and read the original question .

Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I think all of these " torture test - testimonials " are irrelevant . Go back and read the original question .
Why is that?

They seem relevant to most of us. Even have PROOF of our claims via YouTube tests.

I own pistols I've sent over 20,000 rounds down the barrel by my own hands.....

I know what works and so do many of these other guys.

Just a observer here, but I'm seeing all the right makes and models listed.

Real advice by REAL shooters.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Thanks you guys.....
being a 1911 guy I just never looked at Glocks. I am not exactly made of money either.

This link is a place where you can look up used guns, and the glocks look pretty steep used.

What do you think of these prices?

And you should be able to navigate around for other guns all you like.. I am sure they will send FFL to FFL

Kittery Trading Post Used Guns Search Results

Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Why is that?

They seem relevant to most of us. Even have PROOF of our claims via YouTube tests.

I own pistols I've sent over 20,000 rounds down the barrel by my own hands.....

I know what works and so do many of these other guys.

Just a observer here, but I'm seeing all the right makes and models listed.

Real advice by REAL shooters.
Because the OP does not care about 20,000 rounds....the OP wants to shoot 1 - 2 when absolutely needed...not what happens 20,000 rounds down the road.

Yea, I'm sure I posted in this thread, but the OP wants a reliable 1 - 2 shot pistol....not a 20,000 shot pistol....

Just saying....

Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Because the OP does not care about 20,000 rounds....the OP wants to shoot 1 - 2 when absolutely needed...not what happens 20,000 rounds down the road.

Yea, I'm sure I posted in this thread, but the OP wants a reliable 1 - 2 shot pistol....not a 20,000 shot pistol....

Just saying....
I trust your posts on Hi-Point Chuck. You know them like the back of your hand. For under a $200 pistol, I believe what you tell me (us).... because I have never owned or shot one. You have though....I trust ya.

Quote:
Thanks you guys.....
being a 1911 guy I just never looked at Glocks. I am not exactly made of money either.

This link is a place where you can look up used guns, and the glocks look pretty steep used.

And you should be able to navigate around for other guns all you like.. I am sure they will send FFL to FFL

That's high Mac, they sell 3rd Gen 9's, .40's, 357 SIGs everyday at the gunshows for $489-$500 brand new. A .45 ACP (G-21, G-30) or a 10mm (G-20, G-29) costs more. No more than $600 brand new. The last G-21 I bought, I think I paid $540 brand new for it.....Shop around my friend.

Also guys....CLP (Military lube) and Shooters Choice FP-10 works great in 1911s. You gotta use something other than Wally World crap if you want it to run 1,000 rounds WITHOUT cleaning.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Thanks you guys.....

Well it all depends Mac. Some of those Glocks have extra's like laser guide rods, extra mags and ported barrels.

The ones that are 450-475 95% or above stock are a good price since your getting it from a FFL dealer.

If you were to buying directly from a private party I suspect in the 400 range would be about right for a G17-19. It also depends on the State your in as well. The fly over States going rates are usually about 10-25% cheaper than on the Coasts.

I picked up a stock G19 in August for 395 from a private party here in California. The gun was manufactured in June and maybe had 200 down the pipe.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Reliability comes from practice and quality ammo ,not name brand alone .
Certian .22s are ammo sensitive , I am sure it is true with many guns available.
Even thouigh I have been dissapointed with ruger in the past I still will chance them first against many other brands, including colt and smith .
Every piece of machinery has it's own flaws ,if not dimentionally , then metalergicly ,or design compromises .
Other factors often ignored are fowling and jambing issues after extensive use or neglect for that matter.
I would bet that most here are very dilligent about cleaning their gun after being at the range , but life is not always that smoothe, is it ?
On the the way home you get a call that takes you attention some where else and now that project is post poned till another time , but that time is forgotten .
Do the powder residues have an adverse effect on the works and the metal ?
Life just got really busy ,and then it happens ,you reach for the gun and it's still dirty,It's not your fault, life just got more complicated , there is no time to clean the gun it is time to put it to action. This is the moment of truth. This is a worst case senario,never the less a real one .
On any gun I intend to buy pistol or revolver ,I want to see how tight it is how loose it is what areas are prone to build up debris and change reliability.
Revolvers I look at the clocking of the cylinder to see that it has a solid lock on it when the hammer is back. I have gottent rid of smiths that were slopy and ther is no fix for it and you get lead spitting between the cylinder and barrel. even a slight mislaignment can damage the bullet in it's path. I have a beretta that depends on the wood grip to support part of the trigger mechenism,and this has failed.
Had a colt that couldn't hit the broad side of the barn standing inside.
Best advise , go the the range meet people and learn how a bad/good gun feels mechaniclly , Discuss the issues . offer to buy a few rounds and try the gun ,some will, some won't ,asking don't hurt, if they see your and adult and sincire.
One thing is sure the price is only going up as we write .
My .02 cents

Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Well I am just snoopin' around to see what guys say about Glock.

A next step for me would be go see as many in shops as i can....

The hardest part is i don't want another round type really since I have so much of .45acp now.

Maybe the 10mm would be interesting to me, since it would be something like a magnum in a smaller pistol. I have never had the chance to shoot one, but sort of assume the 10 would shoot point blank to 100 yards.

pretty much I would say a 44 mag would from a std Ruger Super Blackhawk.

For sure the .45 acp will NOT

Anyway the point is I am just learning about Glock. I will admit the underwater thing got to me, and peeked my curiosity.

There of course is never enough guns , but I have all I need.... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting