Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times

Advertisements

Actually, you're misstating fact. There ARE guns - both in civilian and military hands - in Vietnam. They're just not as prevalent. There's also significant restrictions to free speech, assembly and governmental protests.....

Thanks - I'll keep what I have here.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM

335 posts, read 334,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Actually, you're misstating fact. There ARE guns - both in civilian and military hands - in Vietnam. They're just not as prevalent. There's also significant restrictions to free speech, assembly and governmental protests.....

Thanks - I'll keep what I have here.
Until some gunman kills you child or your wife.

I didn't say there were no guns here; I presume there are (just far, far fewer), and of course the police and military have them.

Vietnam is not a democracy, I never said it was. I just say that the situation here regarding guns is far better than in the States. People are safer. They worry about having their mobile phone snatched, not about getting shot.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
The vast majority of Americans aren't too worried about being shot. I never think about it.
Anyway, as a law-abiding citizen, I must accept whatever laws are on the books, even if I find them largely counterproductive. I really see no point in them.

Want to reduce violence, gun and otherwise?
Return to high moral standards, an enormous sense of personal responsibility, respect for other humans and life in general, and teach children how to he grown ups, especially when handling anything that can be used as a weapon.
No gun control can ever match any of that.
America can be a violent culture and always has been for a variety of reasons. I have a feeling we had more violence than many other countries even before gun control was so widespread. So stories about Canada, the UK and I suppose Vietnam now, have little sway on my opinions.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM

335 posts, read 334,867 times
Gun control works. Telling people to be moral and not be violent doesn't.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
Of course it works - it also tends to create governments that become overbearing.....

And being moralistic doesn't require some entity to tell us to be that way - it's called self-control and maturity. It can - and should be - encouraged by society, but if we did that, half the so-called "personalities" would become pariahs.

Wait........

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Of course it works - it also tends to create governments that become overbearing.....

And being moralistic doesn't require some entity to tell us to be that way - it's called self-control and maturity. It can - and should be - encouraged by society, but if we did that, half the so-called "personalities" would become pariahs.

Wait........
I don't think gun control makes for oppressive governments. Do you plan to invade Canada, England, and France to liberate them? I think they feel its us that needs help. The morality police are more dangerous to me then gun control. Let me say I am not really for more gun control but I can see the need to regulate guns to some deg. its just how much I am not quite sure about. That said I can't stand the people as the above poster who thinks we need to "return" to the good old days. What when Women could not vote? Blacks could not go to school with Whites? Interracial marriages were illegal? These are the same old types who want to ban gay marriage and make it hard for any religion not Christian to practice in this country because they try to push the lie that this is a "Christian" nation.

Its not a Christian nation, it was founded by Deists. Look it up and understand that the men who founded this country did not like organized religion or even the bible. You had Thomas Paine who was an Atheist if not so close it would be hard to tell the dif. Thomas Jefferson who wrote his own bible called the Jefferson bible that took out all the supernatural things of the original as in his words it made it uncredible. I have a list of quotes from many of the founders to even Lincoln that did not see the bible as the inerrant word of god.

So all this good old day crap is a load that never was. There are no more gays today then there were years ago, they just can be who they are without hiding in the shadows, same with people who practice witchcraft, they would have been burned years ago now if you want that kind of mumbo jumbo [no different IMO than any other religion] knock yourself out. With freedom you have to tolerate others beliefs that are not your own.

Todays religious right wants to return to the days when anyone who thinks differently then them self is beaten and afraid to disagree. But at the same time they want no one to even say wait lets talk about limiting your gun buying to 100 a month. Freedom of and from religion in before the second amendment.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
You're right on the part about telling people to be moral and not be violent not working, but gun control? I don't think so - Put plenty of gun control laws on the books and criminals will still find ways around those laws and get weapons. Gun laws will not keep guns out of the hands of a violent criminal who is capable of killing an innocent human being. If such criminals can't get a firearm, they'll find something else. As I mentioned in a previous post, violent individuals have been killing others since the beginning of time, long before guns were invented.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
If gun control works, explain how there could be shootings in gun-free zones, cites, states and countries!

The only guns gun control laws control are the guns controlled by law abiding citizens...

Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Now I will speak up again.

There seems to be a big division that I don't understand, maybe somebody can clarify it.

Rights. It used to be that if you were convicted of a felony, you lost your rights. You lost the right to own a firearm, you lost the right to vote, you lost the right to speak freely, you lost your right to freedom. You lost your rights.

That is much different than the "gun control" that you ask about. To me, gun control is controlling how many guns I want to purchase in a month, controlling the number of rounds I have in a magazine, controlling how I purchase and how long I have to wait, controlling the use of, controlling the carry of, controlling of anything, above and beyond my rights.

Who's business is it if I buy 27 guns in one month?
Who's business is it if my magazine holds 40 rounds?
Who's business is it if my weapon shoots a .50 cal round?
Who's business is it if my weapon has a surpressor?
Who's business is it if my weapon has a selectable rate of fire?
Who's business is it if my weapon has a bayonett lug?
Who's business is it if I want to build my own weapon?
Who's business is it if I want to shoot armour piercing rounds?
Who's business is it if I want to stock pile weapons?
Who's business is it if I want to carry a gun in a courthouse?
Who's business is it if I want to carry a gun in a school?
Who's business is it if I want to carry a gun in a church?

As long as I am a law abiding citizen.

If I do not shoot others, other than in the line of defense, who's business is it?

That is where I draw the line. You mentioned that I had "stupid thinking" or that I "Couldn't have been thinking clearly", when in fact, I was thinking very clearly. You mistook me for a criminal. You mistook me for somebody that has had my rights taken away from me. You mistook me for somebody that is mentally incapable. You did not understand that I was a law abiding citizen that had no intention of wrongfully shooting somebody.

You ask why I want to purchase more than "X number" of guns a month. Who cares? As long as I have not ALREADY committed a crime, who cares? Do they they take away a drivers license because some day, some where, you might speed? Do they charge a person child support before they are even married? Do they limit you on the amount of insurance you can buy? Do they limit you on how many cars a month you can purchase?

No. It seems that guns are the only thing that you are penalized for, before you ever do anything wrong.

So with that, my answer is still the same. NO GUN CONTROL.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
It is my opinion not my regulation. I am simply saying I agree with some of the gun regulation. The reason I agree with some regulation on how many guns you can purchase a month is because no one needs to buy that many guns.
Mmmm, the old "well, I don't need X, so nobody else does" argument. How about these:

I agree with regulation on how much food can buy a month. The nation is a bunch of lardasses and nobody needs more than $USDA_calorie_figure_for_age per day so we will limit you to that.

I agree with regulation on how many children you can have. Children are extremely expensive and require more care and effort to turn out as something better than another idiot on the dole than the than the average schmo is willing/able to give. Therefore I need to tell you how many children you can have, if any.

Sounds pretty scary, huh? But that's exactly the same statement as above, replacing "guns" with something more pertinent to you.

Quote:
Its not a restriction on you, its because the people who do want that many guns for the most part are straw buyers that are reselling for profit to people who can not get guns.
How is it not a regulation on me if it applies to me? There are many people who are firearms enthusiasts and buy and sell a lot of guns for fun and profit just like some people buy and sell coins, antiques, cars, comics, or anything else. Go look at a big outdoor forum website like 24 Hour Campfire or The High Road and look around, it will certainly open your eyes if you think that anybody who buys more than one gun ever in their lifetime is a "straw purchaser."

Quote:
It does not restrict your right to have a gun. Was it you or someone else who said you can only hold two guns anyways? So how does this restrict you buying or owning a gun if you can buy ten a month? How many of us really with out lying have bought 10 guns in a single month? The truth is not many if any. So its helps curb straw buyers and does not really infringe on your right to have and own and buy guns. I have no problem with it unless some politician tries to use it to stop gun sales period. And it is the gov. business to try to stop straw sales.
Straw buyers = straw man argument. There are millions of pounds of illegal drugs and hundreds of thousands of illegal people being brought into this country illegally via smuggling. Don't you think that is how a lot of illegal *weapons* get into the country as well? It's a heck of a lot harder to defraud legitimate channels to get large quantities of things you are not supposed to have rather than simply buy them on the smuggled black market. How much cannabis is purchased that was illegally smuggled in from/through Mexico compared to people getting it from a fraudulent script for legal medical cannabis? I rest my case.

Quote:
If you don't care about straw sales quit whining like a baby about fast and furious.
Oh you mean the political charade designed by the Democrats to crucify gun dealers by painting them as being a major pipeline for illegal guns as well as to satisfy the hoplophobic Democrat base by finding an excuse for yet more unconstitutional gun regulation. Yeah, so we have to accept that or we are "pro-crime." Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post

Judging by how people drive, we should also place more restrictions on car ownership as well. They are nothing but 2-ton rolling pieces of deadly weaponry.
Our current licensing process allows for way too many crazies on the road. Maybe we should put a 1-ton limit on the size of cars and save the heavier, more lethal stuff for military and police.
Ssshhhhh, you're just giving him ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
I don't think gun control makes for oppressive governments. Do you plan to invade Canada, England, and France to liberate them?
Yeah, England is such a free place. It's not like you are tracked everywhere you go by a multitude of government cameras or anything. France is also such an awesomely free place to start a business as well, it's as easy as falling off a log to do that.

Quote:
I think they feel its us that needs help. The morality police are more dangerous to me then gun control.
The morality police anymore are the people that say that it's immoral to drink more than 16 oz of a sugar sweetened beverage at one sitting, earning more than $200,000/year is evil, driving a car- especially a larger one- is evil, being religious is bad, etc. They are the same ones in favor of all of this gun control stuff. The old morality police were the various Christian churches and they have all but been obliterated and replaced with The State. If the church morality police are so onerous, why can I go buy a bottle of booze at 8am on a Sunday, then go down the street to get an abortion on demand, and finally go get paid by the federal government to desecrate religious symbols and call it art (Andre Serrano's "**** Christ" comes to mind here.) But dare to say something bad publicly about The Anointed One Barack Hussein Obama and you're instantly branded as a "racist" (regardless of what you actually said) which is the scarlet letter of today's P.C. climate.

Quote:
Let me say I am not really for more gun control but I can see the need to regulate guns to some deg. its just how much I am not quite sure about. That said I can't stand the people as the above poster who thinks we need to "return" to the good old days. What when Women could not vote? Blacks could not go to school with Whites? Interracial marriages were illegal? These are the same old types who want to ban gay marriage and make it hard for any religion not Christian to practice in this country because they try to push the lie that this is a "Christian" nation.
As opposed to the current days when we let anybody who's not a white or Asian male or in the military vote as many times as they want, make it much harder for whites, Asians, and males to go to school, punish males severely through the courts for being married to women, significantly limit Christians and Jews from practicing their faith? And then try to push through the lie that we are a non-discriminatory, religiously tolerant, free country?

Quote:
So all this good old day crap is a load that never was. There are no more gays today then there were years ago, they just can be who they are without hiding in the shadows, same with people who practice witchcraft, they would have been burned years ago now if you want that kind of mumbo jumbo [no different IMO than any other religion] knock yourself out. With freedom you have to tolerate others beliefs that are not your own.
There is very little tolerance for any Christian religion and Judaism from the leftists. They are trying to strike religion from the public awareness by renaming holidays, taking down old monuments and such which had anything to do with religion, and so forth. They also constantly denigrate Christians as being stupid and backwards and Jews as being evil money-grubbers.

I am not religious at all and in fact think that organized religion is pretty hoky. Powerful organized religion is not a good thing either as it does lead to abuses like what you see over in the Middle East. What has happened here is that leftism has become its own very powerful religion and attacks the other established religions in the country as they see them as a threat, as pretty well all other organized religions view other organized religions as threats. They have gotten very powerful as well. The comment above about saying something bad about Barack Obama is literally being treated by the left as blasphemy, just as if you said something bad about the Pope in medieval Europe.

Quote:
Todays religious right wants to return to the days when anyone who thinks differently then them self is beaten and afraid to disagree. But at the same time they want no one to even say wait lets talk about limiting your gun buying to 100 a month. Freedom of and from religion in before the second amendment.
And how is that any different than the leftists ostracizing and ending the careers of anybody who dare thinks differently than them? I really wish we did have real freedom of and from religion, we would be free of the nasty leftism.

Quote:
Yes, gun control works so well that there are never any crimes committed using firearms, because the government has controlled them so well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting