Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

I have a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. Neither are expensive guns but very reliable and pretty nice for the money. Both are great shooters. I bought the Mossberg in 1998 for $215 and the Remington earlier this year for $274 after a maker's rebate and retailer's discount. It's an express so the going rate NIB is about $340-$350. I have both in 12 gauge, but I liked the Remington so much that I may get one in 20 gauge for my wife and kids.

Someday I would like to have a nicer O/U shotgun, perhaps a Browning. Right now I just cannot justify the expense. I do love shotguns though, and can easily see myself with a pretty impressive collection in the next few years. Do to limitations in funding, my wish list will likely always be longer than my inventory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTIME View Post
I'm a Benelli M4 man and I also own a model 97 Trench gun.
I have a HK/Benelli M3 and a 1897 in 12 gauge. I like the novelty of the semi auto/pump action of the M3. My 1897 is a 1907 made I bought in 1997. My father bought a 1897 a few months ago and his is a 1907 make as well, only a 100 or so produced before mine. Mine has the eject buttons on the receiver where his does not. Winchester made the 1897 up to 1957.

Dad had a 1897 that he loaned to a friend back in 1977 and it was stolen. I had always had my eye on that shotgun being mine when dad passed. Looks like I might just have one more in a few years as dad has one again.

I also have a Parker Brothers double barrel 12 gauge and a Rossi double barrel 410 with exposed hammers.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
I use the Remington 870 Wingmaster. My Father in Law bought it when he was stationed in Japan about 50 years ago. It's gotten a little loose, and occasionally a shell jams, but it's a great gun. I have shot some trap with it, as well as killed quite a few birds and rabbits with it. I'm a lot better shooting a shotgun than a rifle.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ingmaster.aspx

Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Just received my shotgun license and i'm going to have a look at some over the coming week. I've never owned a shotgun but have fired quite a few in various circumstances over the years.

In the last few weeks i've tried various models in field and on range and at the moment i'm liking the Benelli M2 Field in 12 gauge.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Just received my shotgun license and i'm going to have a look at some over the coming week. I've never owned a shotgun but have fired quite a few in various circumstances over the years.

In the last few weeks i've tried various models in field and on range and at the moment i'm liking the Benelli M2 Field in 12 gauge.
Shotgun license? You need a license to buy a shotgun?

And what are you using it for? Hunting? Trap?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Shotgun license? You need a license to buy a shotgun?

And what are you using it for? Hunting? Trap?
In the UK you do need a license for a shotgun yes.

Primarily defense of my livestock, not many but still, they're mine. My property is rural and has an orchard and a paddock which is bordered by farmland (with a large amount of sheep) and woodland with wild deer. It doesn't happen often but there has been an issue in the past with dog attacks on the sheep and some (minor) rustling.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

Benelli is a good gun. How much does one cost in the UK. I suspect much higher than here in the US.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Benelli is a good gun. How much does one cost in the UK. I suspect much higher than here in the US.
£1046.81 ($1687.35) after tax so I strongly suspect it does.

Just in case your interested here is where i'm going tomorrow and what else they have in stock:Sportsman Gun Centre

Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
I own several shotguns, and I can't say any particular one is a favorite. I have two Remington 870's, one with a rifled barrel and one with a standard smooth bore. I have three 1100's, one with a rifled barrel and the other two with smooth bores. The 1100 are maintenance intensive when used a lot, they need to be clean and you need to stock a few parts to keep them shooting. One Benelli Nova with a smooth bore, bought it because it was cheap. One Valmet 412ST, this is a 12 ga over under that I use for Sporting Clays. Three Winchester 97 clones in 12 gauge used for Cowboy Action Shooting, two Stoeger Coach guns (SXS) one 20 ga the other 12 ga, used for Cowboy Action Shooting. Three muzzle loader shotguns, two are SXS and one is O/U, all are 12 gauge. Most of the shot shells I use are reloads loaded on my MEC 9000G reloader. For slugs I use those cast from a Lyman mold that are shaped like a pellet riffle pellet with a hollow base and most of the lead in the front end of the slug. These slugs are one of the few that are loaded in shot cups and easy for hand loaders to assemble. They also seem to be very accurate out to about 50 yards. They do produce a fair amount of recoil because the slug weights about 450 grains. They will shoot completely through a car body. They won't penetrate an engine block but they will make that engine beyond economic repair. They are fast to mold and the finished produce is cheap to make. Almost forgot to mention I just got a 12 ga Saiga with a drum magazine and a pistol grip butt stock, got it last April but haven't shot it yet.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 12-14-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 01:23 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
I have a Maverick 88, an old Guacha-IGA side by side, a Remington 870 Express (all 12ga) and an Ithaca Mag-10 that was a hand-me-down from my grandfather.

I like the Guacha-IGA the best, as it's light and fits, shoots and shoulders well. On the other hand the Maverick 88 has proven to be virtually indestructable and I find it outperforms the 870 Express, generally.

The Mag-10 I don't shoot very often. Frankly, I've only kept it because it's big, loud and exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting