Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,608 times

Advertisements

I carried this to its own thread because I think its very important.
We do our selfs no service when stupid people among us do things like open carry of an AR or AK around their neighborhoods for the stupid reason of so called "education" Wayne Lapierre did us no favors with his sophomoric speech. If we can not get people who are not white old men out front to show we are a diversified group and we are not trying to agitate people who do not understand that a gun is not a death ray then we may as well give them up now.
Men armed with rifles walk through Portland to 'educate' - KPTV - FOX 12

Just how does this "educate" anyone? I am a gun owner and I would be alarmed at seeing this. What the hell do you think Grandma or socker mom on her way to dropping off her kids while the radio reports on 20 kids shot with assault weapon does to 'educate" anyone? It in fact does a tremendous amount of damage to our side. If we can not at least act like we give a rip about peoples feelings then I totally understand if they don't give a rip about our gun rights. We push many people into the anti gun camp then sit down and cry like baby's that we are misunderstood. The NRA needs to stand up and distance them self from people like this. If they said we support their right to own these guns but we don't see the need to cause alarm in the neighborhood at least that would be something. We are going to go down in a sinking ship because everyone wanted to stand on the most extreme principal.
Attached Thumbnails
Two men carry "assault" rifles to "educate"-20548025_bg1.jpg  

Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
....so I'll copy and paste MY thoughts from your original post:

I am of the opposite opinion - attitudes such as yours have led us to hide our guns - thereby denying the general public the opportunity to see how many are actually "out there". If folks see something daily, it no longer alarms them - it's human nature.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
There is already a long post on this in the P&C forum. No comment except when will the press and public learn what an "assualt rifle" really is? I think we can conclude that these are not assualt rifles. Even the more vague "assualt weapon" term I have a problem with. Why don't the press use a proper description - "scary looking small caliber long guns with black plastic parts, that look something like the military might use",

Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There is already a long post on this in the P&C forum. No comment except when will the press and public learn what an "assualt rifle" really is? I think we can conclude that these are not assault rifles. Even the more vague "assault weapon" term I have a problem with. Why don't the press use a proper description - "scary looking small caliber long guns with black plastic parts, that look something like the military might use",
It is attitudes like this and Texas that have made the Republican party the party of exclusion and that can not win an election. They have stuck to extreme principals so hard that they have excluded large segments of the Nation. I don't care if your definition of an Assault weapon is a cartridge in-between a battle rifle and sub machine gun and select fire bla bla bla. You can cry about that all the way to a gov. turn in. You remind me of all the idiots who whine about the 16th amendment is not legal bla bla bla, well guess what, don't pay your taxes and they take your home and put you in jail. This idea we don't play ball is just stupid. I am not saying to give up the farm, but we don't have to poke a stick at people by carrying an AR around in public.

I would bet tomorrows rent money that not one thats NOT 1!!! person saw these two guys and thought, now there goes a couple of upstanding men with assault weapons, I guess they are OK. But I also be the same rent money that there are people reading the article or who saw them that said, WTF is this crap? We need to stop this. So you have done nothing to help and everything to hurt.
As I said, The West Boro Baptist chruch has done more to hurt the first amendment than help support it.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM

651 posts, read 705,283 times
I also don't think people toting around any guns open in public does much to help our gun rights. I know many people who do not want to see guns banned but think that these are too dangerous for private citizens to own. When you see people walking around with a black gun and 30 round mag it makes people grab their kids and run. Now we are seen as extremist nut jobs like Alex Jones.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There is already a long post on this in the P&C forum. No comment except when will the press and public learn what an "assualt rifle" really is? I think we can conclude that these are not assualt rifles. Even the more vague "assualt weapon" term I have a problem with. Why don't the press use a proper description - "scary looking small caliber long guns with black plastic parts, that look something like the military might use",
There's a fundamental lack of knowledge about firearms in the national media. The fact that they still don't know the difference between clips/magazines, automatic/semiautomatic and the fact that their focus is primarily on rifles that are hardly used in crimes is all we need to know about their expertise on the issue.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 AM

The point is you can ride that car off the cliff like Thelma and Louise on your strict definition of principal or you can work to stop the bleeding. I don't want to see a gun ban and still don't think there is a chance of passage. But a mag ban has a lot of support and momentum. You want to talk about hiding your gun, lets see how you have to hide all those over 10 round mags if they make them illegal to own. I would rather say we support back ground checks on all sales as very reasonable and we don't want to ban any mags. But to do this kind of crap is poking a stick at an open sore. You can do it but your stupid if you do.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
There's a fundamental lack of knowledge about firearms in the national media. The fact that they still don't know the difference between clips/magazines, automatic/semiautomatic and the fact that their focus is primarily on rifles that are hardly used in crimes is all we need to know about their expertise on the issue.
This is not the point, it does not matter, laws are made by a lot of people who don't know which end the bullet comes out of. So you beating that dead horse does absolutely nothing to help the cause. You can all you want about what the real definition is of an assault weapon all the way to Obama signing a ban on them. Quit trying to defend stupid positions. Start to fight smart. You keep tilting wind mills and wonder why you get knocked from your horse.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
But a mag ban has a lot of support and momentum. You want to talk about hiding your gun, lets see how you have to hide all those over 10 round mags if they make them illegal to own. I would rather say we support back ground checks on all sales as very reasonable and we don't want to ban any mags. But to do this kind of crap is poking a stick at an open sore. You can do it but your stupid if you do.
Mag ban has zero chance of passing. The Republicans are done negotiating with Obama on anything after his bad faith negotiations during the fiscal cliff debacle. The Republican House sure as hell won't give in on guns considering their constituents would give them the boot in about 30 seconds if they do.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Then call me stupid.....because every time we retreat in the face of a "reasonable" restriction, they come back for more.

I'd suggest that those supporting "reasonable" further restrictions grow a backbone.

Colorado - both theatre and school - gun-free zones
Sandy Hook - a state with some of the strictest gun-control laws in the nation - gun-free zone

Time and again, nuts drive legislation detrimental to the freedom of the law-abiding. Every time someone uses a firearm in the commission of a crime, they have broken AT LEAST one federal gun law....how many are ACTUALLY prosecuted for that? Few to none!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting