Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times

Advertisements

Having been forced (being just a bit under the weather...) to sit in front of my big LED TV for the last 10 days or so, I've been watching many of my favorite old Westerns. Silverado (pretty good story!), and many other old Western series on Hulu/Netflix, as well as many of the past favorite law series. True, that's fun enough, but see... there's this technical problem!

I've been amazed at the seeming script requirement that EVERYONE always has to Kochk and re-Kochk their firearm, even as the fight rages on. I've even seen this problem on Revolution, that dramatic new high-end mystery series about the world without any electricity, as well as NICS and all the others!

And so on. And so on. And so on.

Right in the middle of a full-on fire fight with their rifle, shotgun or 1911 or DA revolver in use, when they enter a room to check it out for the guys they've just been shooting it out with, all of these dudes' guns have to be noisily Kochk'd first. Cah-Click!

Well heck me! Say....does it still have any ammo in it, one asks? Must be for the dumb-a$$ph audience, a special show and tell time, huh?

Can we come up with some name for this stupidity? The Holly-Kochk? Nahhh... to many alternate images come to mind there! The Faker Loadup? Too long. Shorter? FakeLo?

How's about jist plain "Loadin' It All Right, Stuppitt!" ? LIARS??

Yeah; that one!

http://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/vid...man-s-back.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
That's almost as bad as the long-haired blonde bimbos on TV who constantly toss their hair or run a hand through it to clear their eyes.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Having been forced (being just a bit under the weather...) to sit in front of my big LED TV for the last 10 days or so, I've been watching many of my favorite old Westerns. Silverado (pretty good story!), and many other old Western series on Hulu/Netflix, as well as many of the past favorite law series. True, that's fun enough, but see... there's this technical problem!

I've been amazed at the seeming script requirement that EVERYONE always has to Kochk and re-Kochk their firearm, even as the fight rages on. I've even seen this problem on Revolution, that dramatic new high-end mystery series about the world without any electricity, as well as NICS and all the others!

And so on. And so on. And so on.

Right in the middle of a full-on fire fight with their rifle, shotgun or 1911 or DA revolver in use, when they enter a room to check it out for the guys they've just been shooting it out with, all of these dudes' guns have to be noisily Kochk'd first. Cah-Click!

Well heck me! Say....does it still have any ammo in it, one asks? Must be for the dumb-a$$ph audience, a special show and tell time, huh?

Can we come up with some name for this stupidity? The Holly-Kochk? Nahhh... to many alternate images come to mind there! The Faker Loadup? Too long. Shorter? FakeLo?

How's about jist plain "Loadin' It All Right, Stuppitt!" ? LIARS??

Yeah; that one!

http://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/vid...man-s-back.jpg
LOL...

Bit frustrated being laid up RM?

However, you're totally correct, we'd call it the "Lets go - Rack".

Example...
Scene is some people discussing some act of preservation or attack scene ends "lets go - rack". Following scene sneaking down tunnels, through burning streets or through woods quick communication scene ends "lets go - rack". Find target step out discuss plans with target lets go rack, discuss some more (firefight or surrender) if taking captive point gun at them "lets go - rack" and walk them off.

There is also the "pull hammer back", and "release safety" plot events on handguns, which is a nice event except when you know that the gun the person is holding is striker fired and has no manual safety, I even remember one movie where the guy having the gun pointed at him tells the pointer that the safety is still on and the gun used has no manual safety. Happens all the time with Glocks in movies which are pretty ubiquitously used in movies too.

I do find it funny at times, and it can totally destroy your suspension of disbelief, so I do feel your pain a little, and also derive a large degree of amusement that it drove you to post about it. Embrace the fakery we used to hold a Wednesday night gun owners "Mystery Science Theater 3000" style movie night with 4-5 buddies some beer and pizza and action movies (from A-Z list) just focused on guns and munitions.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:36 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
2 examples of Movie firearm OPPS, in the Movie Under Siege, Gary busy enters the CIC in the process of taking it over with other armed personal, and he was using a Beretta 92F, and it had the safety engaged, in that position, it would not fire since it turns the firing ping away from the hammer.

In the other case in Lethal Weapon 2, when Mel Gibson is going down the space between containers almost at the end, and is firing multiple shots at 1 person, showing 1 shot for each police officer killed during the movie, you can see the guy getting hit and bullet holes increasing in the bad guy. When he gets to the end, there is almost no bullet holes in the same bad guy (Big OPPS)

And I love to see someone using a 1911, with the hammer down on the firing pin, and then not pulling the hammer back before firing, and it fires.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
I was watching Indiana Jones, and the Temple of Doom, and in the bar fight scene he switches back and forth from a revolver to a 1911 style gun

Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
And I love to see someone using a 1911, with the hammer down on the firing pin, and then not pulling the hammer back before firing, and it fires.
Easy ta do if it's a Double Eagle.....

Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Sometimes I wonder if they did enough research on the firearms that were depicted in a movie that was based on actual events. In some cases they don't.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Sometimes I wonder if they did enough research on the firearms that were depicted in a movie that was based on actual events. In some cases they don't.
Most movies are real bad, especially when you see rifles that are missing the sights. All I think is who is in charge and I should become a consultant.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I was watching Indiana Jones, and the Temple of Doom, and in the bar fight scene he switches back and forth from a revolver to a 1911 style gun
I love in Indiana Jones... how the bad guy's guns are little plink...plink sounds... even Machine Guns s are no mor rat-a-tat-a than your average lawn mover, but Indy's revolver sounds like a freaking cannon when he shoots. Wonder what those rounds are loaded with?

Anway, worse than cocking their guns for dramatic effect... I can't stand how movie guns seem to rattle and click like a mariachi band everytime someone even picks one up. That would be flipping annoying in real life!

I'm also bugged when I hear "gun sounds" that aren't physically possible; I remember one scene in "I am Legend" where Will Smith runs out of ammo with his M4 but keeps pulling the trigger, making a clicking sound every time he does. I don't think the bolt even stayed open.... better find a zombie gunsmith Will, something's wrong with your rifle.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Most movies are real bad, especially when you see rifles that are missing the sights. All I think is who is in charge and I should become a consultant.
This is not Hollywood, but one of the so-called Spaghetti Westerns.. and one of my favorites. I've always wondered about this scene, which has Tuco (Eli Wallach) firing his weapon in the water, or at least that's what it looked like. Firing a gun in the water can create extra pressure and will damage the weapon, but Tuco may have had the gun above the water, hidden in the soap bubbles, he gets out of the tub and says "When you have to shoot, shoot - Don't talk".

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting