Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times

Advertisements

So my second time at the range, about 100 rounds total through it, and I keep hitting the mag release I have big hands. Obviously this could be a real problem in a SD situation. Today was worse, I could only get 1-2 downrange before mag slides out. Factory ruger mag, I think it's my hands. Range master popped off 5 and no issues.

I really like this gun is there any solution to this? I almost thinking of loading 6+1 by the bedside and cover the mag release if possible. I know what are you going to do if you need to reload? Well if I can put 7 on target vs 1-2 mag slides 7 wins.

I don't even know if the gun store would buy it back. Originally I wanted the G19 but being sold out and much bulkier to carry I passed. Now I am regretting no range in Denver Metro had an LCP for rent before I bought mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,644 times
Adjust your grip, your thumb is riding too low. Now if your thumb is as thick as an Italian Sausage perhaps you need a larger gun. LCP's are tiny and I'm sure there are people with big thick fingers who would have trouble with them. My hands are large but not to the extreme and I have not had this problem with my LCP.
The gun is as small as any resonable person could hope to shoot. I carry mine everyday as a last resort belly gun. I tell my friends it is basically a multi shot derringer.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
I am unfamiliar with that particular gun, however, my dad gave me a gun years ago that I did the same thing. I ended up making my own grips for it so the grip was thicker and it almost made it seem like the mag release was recessed. It was still easy to get to so I could switch mags, but just enough to not cause me to drop them anymore. I made it maybe an eighth of an inch thickers, just in the upper part of the grip.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
You might try the Hogue Handall Hybrid grip sleeve. I don't have large hands but it makes the grip more comfortable and the additional thickness might be just enough to reposition your thumb away from the release.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,973,934 times
I would suggest selling your LCP and buying the LC9. its bigger and will fit your hands much better. And its a 9mm. Win win
Attached Thumbnails
I love my LCP but my big hand drops mag a lot-img_7767.jpg  

Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the great tips. I will try the grip, I think I saw on YT people like the Hogue, because I am good with this gun. From 10 feet, realistic SD, I just reflexively point shoot and center mass every time.

I was going to buy the LC9 but it was a bit too big in pocket.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Adjust your grip, your thumb is riding too low. Now if your thumb is as thick as an Italian Sausage perhaps you need a larger gun. LCP's are tiny and I'm sure there are people with big thick fingers who would have trouble with them. My hands are large but not to the extreme and I have not had this problem with my LCP.
The gun is as small as any resonable person could hope to shoot. I carry mine everyday as a last resort belly gun. I tell my friends it is basically a multi shot derringer.
Yes grip is the problem. I was always told I have large, piano player hands. I love the gun. I am big enough I can 2 finger shot with 1 hand center mass from 10 feet, when I don't hit the mag release

The other thing the mag was having a bit of a hard time seating with range ammo, fmj, opposed to my Hornady CD. The gun is so small in my hand I have a hard time locking the slide back so I typically put 6 in rack slide chamber and fire.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,973,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Yes grip is the problem. I was always told I have large, piano player hands. I love the gun. I am big enough I can 2 finger shot with 1 hand center mass from 10 feet, when I don't hit the mag release

The other thing the mag was having a bit of a hard time seating with range ammo, fmj, opposed to my Hornady CD. The gun is so small in my hand I have a hard time locking the slide back so I typically put 6 in rack slide chamber and fire.
Its like trying to make your size 12 feet fit into size 10 shoes, don't waste time trying to cut out the toes just get one that fits. Simple as that. Go to a range and play with some guns, rent the ones that feel good and shoot a few rounds thought them. Then sell your gun on Armslist, its a popular gun if you did not over pay you can most likely get all or most of your money back. Then buy the gun that fits you. I had a Sig 238 380. I am left handed and my index finger kept hitting the slide stop and holding open the slide with rounds still in the mag. I was told to hold the gun different ect. The solution was I sold the gun, made 50 bucks and bought a TCP same size but has a hold open that my finger does not hit. Its been a great gun ever since.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Its like trying to make your size 12 feet fit into size 10 shoes, don't waste time trying to cut out the toes just get one that fits. Simple as that. Go to a range and play with some guns, rent the ones that feel good and shoot a few rounds thought them. Then sell your gun on Armslist, its a popular gun if you did not over pay you can most likely get all or most of your money back. Then buy the gun that fits you. I had a Sig 238 380. I am left handed and my index finger kept hitting the slide stop and holding open the slide with rounds still in the mag. I was told to hold the gun different ect. The solution was I sold the gun, made 50 bucks and bought a TCP same size but has a hold open that my finger does not hit. Its been a great gun ever since.
Good advice. I would have rented but there was no LCP to rent anywhere in Denver. I am going to rent the G19 next time. The range is awesome they say I can rent all guns for $12 flat. The G19 was my first choice but because I sweat a lot from the torso appendix carry or IWB sounds uncomfortable, esp in summer.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM

If I buy something else no take down pin either PITA, took 20 minutes to field strip and clean and 30 min to get the pin back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting