Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

Some are more guilty than others. It's supply and demand. CTD was a big one who did. Lucky G did it to a lesser degree.

Midway and Sportsman's Guide never did.

I don't go to the gougers myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM

34 posts, read 59,228 times
I will continue to buy from whoever has the products I need in stock at the lowest prices at the time that I need them. As I said before - I buy ammo and gun parts too and high prices are frustrating. But market prices are simply a form of information. It doesn't make sense for me to hold a grudge against the people who delivered the information to me, just as it doesn't make sense for me to curse the weatherman for telling me that it's going to rain today.

If CTD intentionally cancelled pending unshipped orders and asked customers to place the orders again at higher prices, that's dirty and a legitimate reason to not want to do business with them ever again. A deal's a deal and once an order has been placed and approved it should be fulfilled as long as the item is in stock. If they were selling financial instruments instead of gun parts and they pulled a stunt like that they'd probably end up getting arrested.

Kreutz seems to be the only other user in this thread who agrees with my stance on the topic, but that doesn't surprise me. I actually expected to have no one agreeing with me. When it comes to markets, understanding is not a prerequisite for participation.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times
Although I would not spend more money to go to a place that had treated us better, I do not look at Cheaper than dirt. I don't like that company, but I would buy if it came up on a general search and saved me 5 percent or more.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 AM

29 posts, read 27,993 times
It depends on how I like their services. If they do something like: 'well, if they charge 1/3 my price, go shop there..oh, wait. They do not have anything to sell you.' Then No.

On the other hand, I blame the panicky consumers and the local soldiers who have nothing more to spend their money on, that they pay those prices.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
I saw two options during the run (and continuing for 22LR).

Stores could choose to keep their prices at or close to "normal", resulting long lines at stocking time and bare shelves the rest of the time. This was great if you had the time to camp out at the right stores on the right days. Or were sitting at a computer ready to pounce when an online retailer sent out email notices to the thousands of people on the wait list saying they had 200 boxes in stock. Walmart, Academy, Midway, Cabela's, etc.

Or, stores could choose to sell at "market price" and always have ammo in stock. The advantage to consumers with this method is that if you absolutely needed a box for a class or hunting trip you could get some... if you were willing to pay for it. "Cheaper than Gold", is the most famous of these, along with many local gun shops.

My area had both types of retailers. I hold no grudge against either.

The flippers, on the other hand... those guys are scum. Running to a half dozen big-box stores at stock-up time to pay $0.05/shell for .22LR then listing it on Gunbroker the same day for $0.15/shell. Those type of guys actually helped prolong the run. Because people weren't able to get ammo at their local stores they believed all the conspiracy theories about gub'mint interference with ammo production and were willing to pay the inflated prices to "stock up". Every dime of profit the flippers made was taken directly out of the pockets of every shooter in the country who was forced to pay inflated prices because the retail shelves were bare.

[oops... just noticed this was a thread necropsy... sorry about that]

Old 05-13-2014, 05:58 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Wink I hold a grudge

Mark me down as another former CTD customer. But my personal boycott goes back 6 years to when they price gouged in 2008. Up to that point, I was a regular. Matter of fact, they still send me catalogs - just got another one yesterday. It's in the garbage today.

They'll never see another dime from me.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:52 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
I don't buy from price gougers and I really don't buy from people that pulled their black rifles because of political correctness. I will net set foot in a Dick's Sporting Goods again.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:06 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Some old gun threads never die....

Quite a coincidence - a CTD store just opened here in Round Rock a few weeks ago, so I walked around in the place for the 1st time today to check it out. They sure had a lot of inventory, but pretty high prices. Only saw one pistol (a Kahr CW9 @ $353) that I'd consider buying, but will wait for Bud's, Kentucky, or PSA to put it on sale at a better price.
Their S&W M&P AR15 Sport was well-priced @ $595, but I already have one. Same with their Ruger LCP.

I too recall how they screwed a lot of their old customers, not because of the price gouging, but cancelling their orders and telling them to re-order at the higher prices.

Academy or PSA get my ammo business.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I got hosed by an FFL. Won't be using them again. Gougers. Sooner or later it was going to return to normal.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:48 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
From reading on several gun boards, Cheaper Than Dirt lost a lot of long-time customers because of their gouging.

Never have bought anything there myself.

CTD is dead to me !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting