Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
That is BS. You can have guns in NYC. Federal law gives you 24 hours to move them through any state/city as long as they are unloaded and cased and locked in the trunk of a car of other safe place. I hear this all the time. Don't get caught with that rifle for hunting if you drive through NYC. BS. Federal law gives you safe transportation from where your gun is legal to where your gun is legal.
Yadda-yadda..

Legal guns en route to New York are cause for arrest before the flight home « Hot Air Headlines

Usually people get popped on the way home, but NY doesn't respect federal laws in this regard, and their standard practice is to arrest you for a felony (which would endanger the O.P's green card status!), seize the gun, and make it too expensive to fight in court. They haven't been spanked in court for this yet, better to avoid this situation entirely by flying to a free state..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
NY is currently not a great place to bring fire arms into the country. If they are irreplaceable - ship them. Depending on what they are check into the 90 day residence rule. Otherwise - what you posted in #1 can probably easily replaced and upgraded for what you can sell them for.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM

155 posts, read 248,564 times
ok, I've just chatted with my wife, we better land in charleston. I guess we will have no problem there, becouse this is our final destination, were we want to live in the USA.
frds, there are sentimental reason not to leave this items in italy.
I'm selling a lot of firearms here, but not this four.
Doesn't matter how much it will cost; I just don't want to spend the first month in a jail

Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
ok, I've just chatted with my wife, we better land in charleston. I guess we will have no problem there, becouse this is our final destination, were we want to live in the USA.
frds, there are sentimental reason not to leave this items in italy.
I'm selling a lot of firearms here, but not this four.
Doesn't matter how much it will cost; I just don't want to spend the first month in a jail
well plan accordingly for all, have a safe journey, and best of luck in Charleston -- it is a beautiful city.
On a side note, Charleston does have it's own forum here, and as it does get it's share of transplants from all over there may be someone to help give suggestions for there as well.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
You might not get harassed or arrested in NY
You might not get harassed or arrested in NJ
You might not get harassed or arrested in DC

If you ship to a FFL in the state where you are moving you definitely will not get harassed or arrested.

Ask the poster here that tell you NY and NJ observe federal laws if they are willing to come bail you out if they turn out to be wrong.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
An advanced welcome to the US! As a gun enthusiast, you ARE gonna enjoy yourself! Some of us on this side of the pond even have more firearms than some local police departments.....

If you want to "check out" things a bit in advance, I'd direct you to:

THR - Powered by vBulletin

Texas Shooting Sports - Index

Disclosure: I own Texas Shooting Sports forum - we're a new one, but with a pretty diverse group of folks, including LEO's (law enforcement officers). Our LEO's are all verified/validated as fully credentialed ("real") police officers, and have badges in their ID boxes so that our members can be assured of the accuracy of their statements. The rest of us are pretty much there to talk about guns of all types/kinds....from 1700's flintlocks to the newest guns on the market.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Wrong - neither Dulles or Reagan are in Washington, D.C. Both airports are in Virginia. As long as your declarations/paperwork for the weapons is in order, you can safely and legally land with them in Virginia. I've flown out of Reagan with handguns in my checked luggage with no problems or hassle (flying into Charleston, incidentally).
Never been there, I've seen Dulles called a "DC airport", my mistake.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Ask the poster here that tell you NY and NJ observe federal laws if they are willing to come bail you out if they turn out to be wrong.
More critically, it's not just the guns that may go if the local constabulary get their panties in a bunch, if the OP were convicted the USCIS have pretty strict policies on crime and visa holders (and a Green Card is a visa). It could lead to imprisonment followed by deportation, or deportation and imprisonment in their country of origin, or just plain deportation. It's hard to appeal if you're deported, and prohibited from returning because you're a deportee. Even if you successfully fight it, it will not automatically return your ability to regain your visa, that is at the discretion of USCIS.

While FOPA allows transportation of firearms from point A to point B transitioning through states regardless of the state law provided they are carried in accordance with the provisions of FOPA and legal in the state of origin and state of destination. The law isn't clear about international transportation, would your point of origin be NYC if you arrive at JFK? Chances are that it's never even come up in court, a prosecutor could argue that FOPA coverage began on entry to JFK thus it is the point of origin, and there is no violation of FOPA, since the accused was non-compliant in the first instance.

Guns and Immigration are tricky, I know I went through it, and my Immigration attorney just about had an aneurysm when he found out during my naturalization I was an affiliate of the SAF, GOA, and NRA, because almost all gun offenses will result in deportation on conviction or after any sentence is carried out (and if you don't have a gun, you can't logically commit any gun offenses).

Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I don't know if this can be done But I'd find a gun friendly state to land in and save the misery.
It's Feds you'll be dealing with at the airport.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's Feds you'll be dealing with at the airport.
....until you step out of the secured area. Then you'll be dealing with the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting