Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:34 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times

Advertisements

First, we wouldn't be having this discussion if we lived in Nam.

Second, think Donner Party. My animals are family, but I'd eat them before I'd eat human flesh.

Most of us have never suffered that kind of hunger--so we really don't know what we would be tempted to do.

I just finished reading the book, Into the Wild. Great read, and sorta along the same discussion lines.

Fact: unprepared people are dangerous to themselves and everything around them.

A great quote (from a book):
"Only when we have abundance, opportunity, and security can we afford to be revolted by rotted food, an ugly potential mate, or a neighbor’s licentious behavior. When survival is the only thing that counts we will eat anything we can, mate with whomever we can, and enlist the help of anyone who is available."

Last edited by picklejuice; 12-17-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
Like someone else mentioned, I, too, wonder how well prepared this man was, or did the bear attack completely wipe out all of what he had packed to bring? Killing his dog with a rock poses questions in my mind.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I admit I didn't read all the posts - but has anyone here seen "A Boy and His Dog?"

Boy has dog, meets girl in post apocalyptic world, many adventures, last scene walking into sunset, just the Boy and His Dog.

Boy says to dog in reference to girl, "She wasn't much to look at , but she had good taste."

And no offense - but do ya think that maybe if Canada didn't have stupid anti-gun laws, the guy would have had like maybe a .30-60 or a .44 Magnum revolver and he could have shot and eaten the BEAR, and not starved for three months.

I'm sorry but I simply can't imagine someone being so stupid as to go into the wilderness, especially the northern wilderness, without at least a high powered rifle. He wasn't like in an expedition climbing a mountain, he was on a 3 month canoe trip in bear country with a pile of tasty food.

Kind of like walking through Detroit with a Rolex I'd say.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I am sure that there is much more to the story , but when push comes to shove hard choices have to be made .
If a bear ate all the provisions he had ,I am wondering what kind of defenses he had to begin with ?
Being poorly prepared to face those dangers is #1 problem.
Spending time in a predator's back yard ,is not to the time to go out there naked. That's just asking for trouble.
Having a weapon but being untrained or unpracticed is still unprepared.
In many cases that are means one can forage for food along the way, if one chooses to learn them.
There are a great many books out there for doing so .
But not all parts of the country are plentiful for food in the woods.
For those of you whom the dog greater than ones self ,by feeding one's self to the dog would then give him a taste for human flesh, there by becoming a greater threat to mankind , needing to be put down.
That`s absolute nonsemse.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I admit I didn't read all the posts - but has anyone here seen "A Boy and His Dog?"

Boy has dog, meets girl in post apocalyptic world, many adventures, last scene walking into sunset, just the Boy and His Dog.

Boy says to dog in reference to girl, "She wasn't much to look at , but she had good taste."

And no offense - but do ya think that maybe if Canada didn't have stupid anti-gun laws, the guy would have had like maybe a .30-60 or a .44 Magnum revolver and he could have shot and eaten the BEAR, and not starved for three months.

I'm sorry but I simply can't imagine someone being so stupid as to go into the wilderness, especially the northern wilderness, without at least a high powered rifle. He wasn't like in an expedition climbing a mountain, he was on a 3 month canoe trip in bear country with a pile of tasty food.

You'd be shocked at how many Canadians have shotguns and rifles. Ì'll bet he had at least one.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:55 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
If I am hungry and there is nothing to eat then I would eat any animal I could find.
If not found then I would eat the pets ... dog, cat, parrot, guinea pig, baby house pig,
pet snake, rabbit, mice, hamster, parakeet, etc.

I'll eat them Raw if Im have to including all of the innards,
because I eat rare steaks now ! ! !

If I live through it all, then I can always get another pet.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:05 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think it's crap that he ate his dog. His dog paid the price because this guy did not prepare properly. If you are going out in to the wilderness for three fricken months, do you not foresee that you might run in to wild animals? And what kind of defense do you have against those wild animals? Did he know NOTHING about hunting? Using traps? (Not saying he had to carry traps with him, LEARN how to make them), just in case something happened?

You can all stand here and applaud him for "being so wise" as to eat his dog to survive, just mere days after he had no food, but I will not. He was an idiot for going out there in the first place, not having a clue how to survive. And the dog paid the ultimate price for it.

Lest anyone forget that he planned to be out there for three months....
Please do not interject with the dreaded "personal responsibility" aspect of life. No such thing is this world. Just do whatever you want and everything else be damned.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think it's crap that he ate his dog. His dog paid the price because this guy did not prepare properly. If you are going out in to the wilderness for three fricken months, do you not foresee that you might run in to wild animals? And what kind of defense do you have against those wild animals? Did he know NOTHING about hunting? Using traps? (Not saying he had to carry traps with him, LEARN how to make them), just in case something happened?

You can all stand here and applaud him for "being so wise" as to eat his dog to survive, just mere days after he had no food, but I will not. He was an idiot for going out there in the first place, not having a clue how to survive. And the dog paid the ultimate price for it.

Lest anyone forget that he planned to be out there for three months....

He may have not been so wise but he did have enough wisdom
and did not go crazy, but instead he ate the dog and stay healthy,
and live, and did not starve to death.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

It's so anti-gun up here infact, that you probably can't even find a range that will let you shoot your .50 Barrett BMG that you bought, legally, in Canada.

Honestly, what in God's name do you think we do our hunting with up here? Snowshoes? lol

Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I wonder what he'd have done if his wife had been along for this adventure
He would probably eat his wife...uh..wait a minute....never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting