Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:38 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times

Advertisements

Survey information from a defensive carry related forum.

• With a round in chamber2,054 or 90.17%
  • No round in chamber 224 or 9.83%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I know that in some states, you must disclose that you have a gun and a permit, immediately. My state is not that way. I have been pulled over, spoke with the officer, he left and never knew I had a gun, loaded, in my holster. In Wyoming, we do not have to disclose that information, so as far as I am concerned, it's none of his business.

I went through the Penn. laws and could not find if you are required to disclose the info. If you are not, I wouldn't. Now, if an officer specifically asks me if I am carrying a weapon, I will respond properly, but not until asked. Once I was pulled over and he did ask. I told him I had a pistol, loaded, in my holster. He just went on with his job, never asked me to place it on the dash or anything, just wanted to know.
NC is a must notify, thus both hands on the wheel and tell them. They take if from there, come say OK and go on with why they stopped you, some get a little uptight. Of course most of the time they already know if you are a permit holder before they light you up, they just don't know if you are currently armed.

I will not touch the gun in the presence of the officer even under his direction, and tell him so. If he is so hell bent on disarming me, he will have to do it.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 AM

82 posts, read 173,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

I tried to explain that an empty gun offers no protection and she is slowly coming around.
Anybody else have to make the argument with their wife?

Any tips?
No I've never had that problem with my wife...Actually quite the opposite, but I've heard this many a time, including several friends of mine...I guess you have to get to the root of her fear and figure out where the disconnect is...Especially if there are no kids, the fear is completely illogical and irrational...Usually the more involved she is, the cooler she will be about it, but you already have her at the range shooting...Perhaps get a smaller gun just for her...Putting a 357 in the hands of someone who is skittish about them in the first place may not be selling her on the idea...Pick up a .380 for her and keep her shooting, she'll likely come around...

Old 02-02-2014, 02:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I assume you are talking about a concealed safe in your vehicle? Not that it matters, because you have a license/permit law enforcement has access to that information. What if you get stopped with some gestapo thugs like the Maryland Transportation cops, and decide to make an example of you. Seems to be a lot of that type in the corridor from DC to Boston.
How Did The Maryland Transportation Police Know An Unarmed Man From Florida Was A Concealed Carry Gun Owner Before They Pulled Him Over? : Personal Liberty

I know every state is different, but I know that my CHP is linked to my drivers license, and anytime a check of my license is run, the fact I have a carry permit also comes up.

A friend that is a deputy sheriff said that they always know the status before pulling over a vehicle, if the vehicle is registered to the concealed carry permit holder. They call in the tag, the dispatcher runs the tag, then the registered owner and informs the deputy. I heard dispatchers inform deputies all the pertinent info, including they are a CHP holder.

He also said "you carry chambered of course"

glad that will not happen to me. CCW in Wyoming is a Constitutional carry state, or a no permit required to carry state. took me a couple of months to get used to this.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
glad that will not happen to me. CCW in Wyoming is a Constitutional carry state, or a no permit required to carry state. took me a couple of months to get used to this.
Does Wyoming still issue permits so you can carry outside of your state (assuming reciprocity)?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijamez View Post
No I've never had that problem with my wife...Actually quite the opposite, but I've heard this many a time, including several friends of mine...I guess you have to get to the root of her fear and figure out where the disconnect is...Especially if there are no kids, the fear is completely illogical and irrational...Usually the more involved she is, the cooler she will be about it, but you already have her at the range shooting...Perhaps get a smaller gun just for her...Putting a 357 in the hands of someone who is skittish about them in the first place may not be selling her on the idea...Pick up a .380 for her and keep her shooting, she'll likely come around...
Never "pick up" a gun for your wife, especially if she is hesitant about guns and shooting in the first place. If they don't like it, they will never carry it, and or even have any intention of using it for home defense. Find a range that rents guns, especially if they have female staff that will work with her at first. My wife shot a number of different types and calibers before deciding on an XD9 sub-compact for her carry gun, and an XD9 service for home defense/bedside.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Does Wyoming still issue permits so you can carry outside of your state (assuming reciprocity)?
Yes, you can still get a Carry Permit in Wyoming. It helps when you purchase firearms, and of course, when you travel.

It makes for a polite society when you realize that every adult you encounter, could be carrying a loaded weapon.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
OK so here is the situation.
We have a 357 magnum for home protection and target shooting. The wife is kind or nervous about a loaded revolver in the house. We have no kids at home so that is not a problem. I tried to explain that an empty gun offers no protection and she is slowly coming around.
Anybody else have to make the argument with their wife? We both go to the range and shoot but she has not taken a CCW and safety course and the only safety training she gets is from me.

BTW We live rural and the chance of a home brake in is low but the gun WILL be loaded I just need to be more convincing with my arguments.

Any tips?
ALWAYS keep it loaded! I don't care if she screams divorce, an unloaded gun is like a flat tire in your trunk! WHAT good is it??

Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Knowledge is going to help you here. Take her to the range, have her shoot it. Once she see's it isn't as evil as the media makes it out to be she might actually have a little fun shooting it. Then she will understand... hopefully.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
I really like my Sig-Sauer P226, "Designed for the U.S. Army and carried by U.S. Navy SEALs, Texas Rangers and many other elite military and law enforcement professionals..." which has no "safety" and is designed to be carried with a round in the chamber.

What makes the gun safe to carry this way is the decocking lever, which safely lowers the hammer, plus a heavy-pull (10 pounds) Double Action first round, followed by light-pull (4.5 pounds) and semi-automatic functioning on subsequent shots. And a firing pin block that can only be moved by a trigger pull completes the package to make the gun drop safe.

What this means, in practical terms, is that you must be very deliberate about firing the first shot. But you can get off that first shot single handed, without having to rack the slide first, making it superior for combat or self-defense situations. In my personal opinion, this is a superior system to a safety.

Having said that, the question becomes how to store this loaded gun safely and legally at home. And that's where a fingerprint GunVault comes into the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting