Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Here's a question, if you have 10 seconds to arm yourself, what possible use is your gun if it's locked up in a safe, unloaded?
10 seconds In a self-defense situation you will likely have a second or less. Simulations show that a bad guy can cover 20 - 30 feet in a second, and demonstrations have show that even the time to chamber a round in a semi-auto handgun takes too long to defend yourself.

My self-defense guns are loaded, and chambered and immediately accessible, both when I carry, and at home. They are secured either on my person or in a gun safe when the grandsons (11 & 13) are here, even though both have been trained in gun safety, and under supervision shoot our handguns frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I will answer one of you questions.I had to get a background check for purchase and also pass a handgun safety course for CCW. If you can't pass the basics you don't deserve to own a gun.
Great, that's your criteria, now suppose they demanded criteria that I meet, would you still be happy, given you do not decide what criteria need to be met?

Would you also agree on a set of criteria being established for voting and speaking in public?

Quote:
People will never agree about who should and who should not own one but reasonable people should agree that there are certain mental abilities one should have in order to own a gun.
For example? What mental abilities should one have? What mental abilities are needed for a car? Can the average person do more damage with a car or a firearm? (I'll give you a hint, it's not the gun)

Quote:
You said you are firearms instructor, I am sure you have run into people that you thought should not be allowed to handle a gun. If not you have not run into too many people.
Nope, the issue isn't the people it's the training, they've already set the first foot on the right path by coming to any good training course. Everything after that is my responsibility to ensure that they're fully competent in all aspects of firearms after my course. Now people do drop out on occasion, that's their choice, and no longer my responsibility, they took that responsibility back by leaving my course.

Quote:
If I lived in Alaska I would certainly want to be well armed so I can see your point there but we have 10M living here in NC and the situation is very different.
Why? Possession of a gun is not legal license to use it. The same restrictions on use apply to both Alaska and North Carolina.

Quote:
Living in a state where we are the fourth from the bottom in public education spending it is easy to see why so many are paranoid here.
The children of NC deserve much better than that but the Republicans in charge in Raleigh are not education friendly, Gun friendly yes, education friendly not so much.[/quote]

Paranoia and public spending on education are orthogonal, and not a topic for this forum.

However that said I will say ignorance leads to fear, which can lead people to act irrationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
10 seconds In a self-defense situation you will likely have a second or less. Simulations show that a bad guy can cover 20 - 30 feet in a second, and demonstrations have show that even the time to chamber a round in a semi-auto handgun takes too long to defend yourself.

My self-defense guns are loaded, and chambered and immediately accessible, both when I carry, and at home. They are secured either on my person or in a gun safe when the grandsons (11 & 13) are here, even though both have been trained in gun safety, and under supervision shoot our handguns frequently.
Agreed, but to a person making a claim that guns should be locked away when not in use, 10 seconds appears a reasonable figure enough so that they won't try to pick the fly-poop from the pepper . The Tueller Drill often, if they're interested, demonstrates the actual time constraints you need to operate under. Good fun with airsoft and a sharpie.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Quote:
I had to get a background check for purchase and also pass a handgun safety course for CCW. If you can't pass the basics you don't deserve to own a gun.
So you agree then that before writing something here you should pass a spelling and grammar test too right?

Rights are rights...you don't need to pass a test to enjoy them and you only lose them if you've proven yourself unable to handle that right. If your expression of that right injures another then you are liable.

THAT is the cost and benefit of freedom.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
But I still am offended that law-abiding gun owners are required to have a license (& pay fees) to exercise their right to self defense in most states, including Texas.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
As a left leaning voter and gun owner( I only have one because that's all I need to stop an intruder into my home) I find it interesting that many right leaning voters are so easily duped by their political leaders.
Duped, as in, "If you like your insurance plan, you can keep it. Period."

I can go on and on about how both parties dupe their constituents, but if you want to pretend that it's only those on the right, give your unicorn two scopes of fairy dust so he can fly you twice as fast.

Quote:
If one just looks at the political maps of the USA you can clearly see where the Democrats are in control and where the Republicans are in control.
The Democrats control the Northeast, West coast, and the wealthy area of the Midwest.
The Republicans control the South, Midwest and most of the rural areas where the less educated and less wealthy are the majority.
It's pretty simple the Republicans don't have enough well educated, wealthy voters to control congress.
Oh, you mean areas heavy with union voters. And wealthy? That's is a good point. The rich liberals do a marvelous jobs of building their wealth in the Democrat enclaves where the Democrat politicians pass laws that favor their wealth accumulation. Big government is a friend of big business. Big government needs very complicated and complex tax codes that allow them to get the breaks that regular people don't receive. The Tea Party people on the right want to go to a simple tax code that would take away these loopholes and corporate mega-breaks. How many on the left are calling for a simple code without it? Of course there are far more degrees and advanced degrees in the areas where money businesses rule the roost. Money businesses are the ones that don't really produce that much in terms of goods but make money off the labor of others. You know, like Wall Street. OWS members certainly have the education to know that they are getting hosed, but it's by the people they love. What has George Soros ever produced other than mass wealth for himself via things like currency trading? Who does currency trading hurt more, the wealthy or the middle class and poor? But like good little sheep, the liberals in New York and Chicago don't even understand that the wolves are living amongst them and having them vote for them to retain control.

Quote:
So how do they get lower educated and no so wealthy on their side? Scare tactics and it has been working for years.
Scare tactics? The left has made several key voting bases by telling people they are going to lose their welfare, eat dog food and have an uninhabitable planet unless hundreds of millions are given to car companies making products they can never possibly afford.

Quote:
You convince all those hard working but lower educated folks that the evil Democrats want to take your guns away.
Democrats are always heard saying they want to take guns away. Any educated person can look at history and see the horrible situations created when people don't have the ability to defend themselves against a government.

Quote:
If your a Republican you know that's true right?
If you're a partisan boot licker, you don't understand the dangers of an overbearing government controlled by either the left or the right; you just see the other "team" as the people you want to defeat. "We can beat them, rah, rah, rah."

Quote:
Contrary to what the Republicans would have you believe there are many left leaning gun owners. Not because they want to protect themselves from the govt. but because many of them are hunters, target shooters and many of them like myself just like to have a weapon to defend against home intruders plus target shooting is fun.
The reason the founders added the Second Amendment was specifically to allow the citizens to protect themselves from the government. Some people today think they are extremists as well.

Quote:
The Republicans need voters for many of their religious influenced policies that left leaning voters do not agree with.
Example please?

Quote:
The left wants to keep religion out of the voting booth and the right wants to keep your there.
So they use guns as one of their scare tactics along with forced abortions, forced gay marriage because after all most people would really rather marry their own sex, forced health care (Oh My Gosh the horror of everyone having health care)
Lol, you argue "fear mongering" and then follow it up with essentially, "The right wants to force their religion down everyone's throats!" Yeah, no hypocrisy there.

And as far as the dribble that follows, it would be as ignorant, misleading and goofy as me saying, "The Democrats enjoy killing babies."

Once again, you're trying to demonize the "opposing team" with inflammatory accusations.

Quote:
If your one of those former Southern Democrats who finds them selves in the Right Camp and you are buying every gun in sight along with thousands of rounds of ammo you are doing exactly just what the Republican leaders hoped you would.
And they thank you for your votes.
The majority of those on the right are fiscal conservatives and strict constitutionalists. But if you must believe the rhetoric of "we're number one, can't be number two; our team is awesome!", you just go ahead with that.

Quote:
Flame away.
Just trying to extinguish one.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:33 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
But I still am offended that law-abiding gun owners are required to have a license (& pay fees) to exercise their right to self defense in most states, including Texas.
Texas isn't nearly as unregulated with respect to guns as people think. I'd estimate that Texas is probably closer to the middle quarter in terms of looseness and strictness of firearms laws by state.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
I'm simply amazed that TX doesn't have open carry. Yea, I had to pay for the class, and my CHP, and will have to renew and pay again, but at least before I got my permit, I could open carry without asking for permission.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm simply amazed that TX doesn't have open carry. Yea, I had to pay for the class, and my CHP, and will have to renew and pay again, but at least before I got my permit, I could open carry without asking for permission.
Personally, I'd never open carry. I know if I were a bad guy out looking for trouble with a gun, the person I'm aiming at first would be the one I know has a gun.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:16 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Quote:
Personally, I'd never open carry. I know if I were a bad guy out looking for trouble with a gun, the person I'm aiming at first would be the one I know has a gun.
Such a valid point and with many many examples of that happening daily in open carry states too!

Here in the real world we refer to that as a red herring...

Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
ScoPro,

(I have roughly a dozen challenging questions, all of which directly pertain to our Bill of Rights. Let's start with this one.)

Are you just as offended that law-abiding citizens must register with the government before they can exercise their right to vote?

Yes? No? Why or why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting