Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 02:24 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times

Advertisements

I ran across this sidebar article in a gun mag. A writer said that in Oct, 2011 an exotic-animal farm owner in Ohio let all his animals out of their cages, then committed suicide. I vaguely remember hearing about it. The writer said that he lives only 20 minutes from the farm. The animals included lions, mountain lions, leopards, panthers, black bears, and grizzly bears.

The writer's wife is blind, and had a guide dog that needed to be walked. He decided that he would take a rifle on the walk, but didn't know what to take. He had ARs and shotguns, but not being a hunter, no high-powered hunting rifles. He did have a Springfield Amory M1 Garand in 30-06, so that's what he selected for the walk. "As I look back I can hardly think of a better choice for our defense," he concludes.

What would your zoo-mbie gun be? I would keep the dog home, and let him miss a day or two of walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 04:41 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times

Also for Lions, Tigers and Bears... Oh my.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM

537 posts, read 739,891 times
It's pretty hard to beat a good old AK-47 variant with a 30-round magazine holding soft-point 7.62x39 on a 2-point sling when surrounded by scary creatures on four or two legs. Of course a tactical shoulder bag with five extra mags would be a comforting accessory.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
Hard to beat a Remington 870 12 ga. Between 00 buck, and slugs it sure has a lot of creature stopping power!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
It's pretty hard to beat a good old AK-47 variant with a 30-round magazine holding soft-point 7.62x39 on a 2-point sling when surrounded by scary creatures on four or two legs. Of course a tactical shoulder bag with five extra mags would be a comforting accessory.
An AK against a Grizzly? With Soft points?

No...
Just no...

FMJ would be preferable in an AK for deeper penetration. Both suggestions are inadequate.

Basically what the OP's scenario comes down to is, if you can take out the Grizzly, your good to go with everything else.

Puma, Jaguar/Panther, you don't need too heavy a hitter, Lion you'll need something with a little punch but an AK would likely do the job with a couple of shots, Tiger would depend on the sub-variant if it's a Siberian, I'd want something hefty, because then it's a toss up between it and the Grizz, even so you're still topping out at the Grizz which would be 45-70 or at least a 300 Win Mag, a 30-06 can work if you're good but it's on the lower end of rounds I'd suggest. Ideally you'd want a 338 Magnum cartridge to be sure. The alternative is a good ol' pump action Magnum shotgun with slugs, which for defense is pretty solid, can't beat 1 1/4 of an ounce of projectile travelling at 1600fps from the muzzle, it's only at 1100 ft.lb at 100 yards though (although a weighty 2600 ft.lb at the muzzle), so they're for close quarters on a Grizzly. Moreover a shotty can also unload buckshot into the face of any attacking animal too, if it can't see you or smell you, it could either run off, or at least stagger it long enough for a follow-up shot with a slug.

That's my $0.02 on it.

45-70 or 338 Win Mag, or a pump action 12 gauge with 00 buckshot and slugs.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM

537 posts, read 739,891 times
We could go on ad nauseum about the "best weapon" for beasty XYZ. I'm just thinking about what weapon I would want for any number of scenarios. Frankly, I don't think a grizz would pursue too enthusiastically if I were too unload a magazine of 7.62x32 into his center of mass/cranium. We're not talking one-stop kill here. Just enough firepower to provide personal protection and make it not worth a critter's self-interest to continue the pursuit. Got it? I'd bet MY life on it.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 PM

Grizzly's aren't thinking when they are in a rage. The only surefire way to stop them is to make them physically incapable of continuing to chase you and tear you to pieces.

You'd need something big enough to put them down permanently, and with plenty of ammo capacity if you are being attacked by an entire zoo. If a minigun won't do it, a military style .308 (m14, SCAR 17, FAL, HK G3 or other full size battle rifle) would be best. A 12 ga with slugs would be OK too; don't bother with buckshot or an assault rifle round (7.62X39 or .556) though... you'll just pi$$ a grizzly off with those.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Also for Lions, Tigers and Bears... Oh my.
Why we have some people calling gun owners gun nuts.

We create our own problems then want to blame others for the way they view us. We call them stupid and all kinds of things and then look at what we do.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
AK-47 and a 12 gauge shotgun are all the average joe would need in a zombie apocalypse. I'd also get a ruger .22lr rifle and 10K rounds... I do have one but do not have 10k rounds... I maybe have 500 rounds.. and no AK-47 either... I don't believe we will have a zombie apocalypse.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why we have some people calling gun owners gun nuts.

We create our own problems then want to blame others for the way they view us. We call them stupid and all kinds of things and then look at what we do.
Sorry, I just have a hard time taking the premise of the thread too seriously.

Maybe in your world an attack from a horde of all the worlds most dangerous predatory animals at the same time is serious stuff. Maybe you lost your entire family and favorite pet dog to just such an attack. I didn't consider the possibility so so I sincerely apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting