Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 04:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While it sounds sensible for restrictions on nut jobs owning guns how do you prevent mass shootings by a dedicated nut job?,at what point do you say some one has the potential to commit a mass shooting therefore we should lock him up for life? rules and regulations are kinda useless in a country with so many guns and so many seemingly normal people using them to settle their problems.Unless draconian legislation is enacted whereby all guns are made illegal which has absolutely no chance of ever happening, about all any one can do is watch or read about people dying everyday from gun related incidents..
I believe if you have any underage children then your guns should be locked up at all times where they can't get their hands on them. There are safes just for your home protection gun that can be opened quickly.

If you have a "slow" kid in your house it's OK for him to play the banjo but not with your guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:19 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I believe if you have any underage children then your guns should be locked up at all times where they can't get their hands on them. There are safes just for your home protection gun that can be opened quickly.

If you have a "slow" kid in your house it's OK for him to play the banjo but not with your guns.
I don't agree and think this kind of thinking is what leads to the hatred of guns. I grew up in North Michigan. My dad had several guns in his closet and 4 boys and we never had a problem as we were taught what they were and when we could use them at an early age. Its when people keep guns in a home and try to keep kids ignorant of what they are that problems happen. When I was in High School we took our fathers hunting rifles to class and laid them on our desks actions open to be inspected by the teacher before gong to the school forest and doing deer drives. The School had several 22 bolts and three or four shotguns in the school store room, and we loaded our own shot gun shells in class. Now its so stupid you get suspended if you bite a pop tart into a gun shape. LOL Its the idea that kids are so dumb you can't teach them properly, you may as well say to put knives in a lock box, you hammer and saws and the car keys in lock boxes. I think this is the start of a bad down hill degrading of our youth. IMHO

Old 12-15-2013, 07:50 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I don't agree and think this kind of thinking is what leads to the hatred of guns. I grew up in North Michigan. My dad had several guns in his closet and 4 boys and we never had a problem as we were taught what they were and when we could use them at an early age. Its when people keep guns in a home and try to keep kids ignorant of what they are that problems happen.
I tend to agree. Perhaps for different reasons.

Basically 99% of safes are used as a crutch so that the person who has one need not worry about family members having accidental access. They won't stop criminals stealing the guns or the safe, I had a friend who lost 3 safe's full of guns from his basement, they broke the concrete to release the bolts and dragged them through a half window with a tow strap and winch. However back to topic familiarity breeds contempt, and there will come a day when someone's gun is unsecured either left out, or in the safe but the safe isn't locked. Their kid (or a visiting neighbor or relative) walks by. However because said owner has a safe they've never really taken much time to drill their kid or visitors in don't mess with guns they're not toys, or taken much time to train them in safety or ensured their was proper supervision. When that happens it's literally Russian Roulette. Then in one instance a kid gets shot and it's an unresponsible gun owner leaving their guns lying around and they even had a safe, how stupid can they be? These people shouldn't be trusted with guns, because they're too stupid to secure them from their kids.

In reality all that happened is that life got in the way, they had a safe so they felt more comfortable putting off or went easy with the drilling of don't touch, and safety training. They weren't fully concentrating when they put their guns away, or were rushing to do something else. If they hadn't had that safe though, those kids would have either not been there without adult supervision (neighbors/relatives) or would know that any messing with a gun would result in a fate worse than death, and the don't touch training and safe handling would have been done.

There's actually quite a lot of studies done on this kind of thing, it's called Risk Compensation, if you believe that a level of risk is reduced, then you have a tendency to be more careless, until your perceived risk and target risk are the same (i.e the net reduction in risk is zero).

Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yawn

Taking my assault weapon to the range tomorrow, in CA no less LMAO. Might even buy another one while I'm there LOLZ
You cannot do that in New York, Maryland, and Colorado. Even the 22lr versions are no longer legal to be sold in those states.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
I am a gun owner and I don't want mentally disturbed to own guns. Why is it that so many paranoid gun owners just don't seem to care?

What is so bad about background checks or safety training to own a firearm.

Stop this nonsense about only criminals will have guns. Criminals will always have guns because they source them from law abiding gun owners either by stealing or buying them.

The real paranoid people are not the anti gun people they are gun owners.

Anti gun people are not going to gun shops and buying up all the ammo so gun owners can't get any.
It's the paranoid owners who are hoarding.

BTW I think every homeowner in every state should have a gun for home protection except for the nut jobs.

Keep guns out of the hands of nut jobs and the anti gunners will go away.
The problem is what constitutes "mentally disturbed" can very greatly and be twisted like a pretzel. For example, in PA you can be subjected to a 302, a 72 hour involuntary commitment, for simply stating that you contemplated suicide in the past 30 days. In reality you don't even have to ever say those words, someone simply has to have heard you say it(and I'm sure no one ever lies). If that happens? Bam, your second amendment rights are gone. This very same thing happened to Virginia activist early this year, as VA has a similar law. While I do think true nut cases like the kid in Connecticut should be kept away from firearms, the truth is it can hard to make that determination before they finally do something horrible.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
I am a gun owner and I don't want mentally disturbed to own guns. Why is it that so many paranoid gun owners just don't seem to care?

What is so bad about background checks or safety training to own a firearm.

Stop this nonsense about only criminals will have guns. Criminals will always have guns because they source them from law abiding gun owners either by stealing or buying them.

The real paranoid people are not the anti gun people they are gun owners.

Anti gun people are not going to gun shops and buying up all the ammo so gun owners can't get any.
It's the paranoid owners who are hoarding.

BTW I think every homeowner in every state should have a gun for home protection except for the nut jobs.

Keep guns out of the hands of nut jobs and the anti gunners will go away.

it is none of the governments business. if all they did was do a background check and then destroty all the paperwork that was connected with that firearm, then maybe, but do you really think that any paperwork was ever destroyed after the 90 days that congress told them.

hell no, they have all that paperwork stashed.

wish congress would have attached a federal felony to each piece of paperwork kept passed the 90 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting