Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:10 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times

Advertisements

Answer: According to the NRA, the shortage is caused by everyone trying to buy mass quantities at the same time.

From March: American Rifleman - Where Has All The Ammo Gone?
From May: American Rifleman - Where Has All The Ammo Gone, Part Deux
From Sept.: American Rifleman - Where's the Ammo?

And the latest article, published yesterday:
American Rifleman - Why We've Had an Ammunition Shortage

This should convince everyone... unless you're the type who thinks even the NRA is too liberal or else is a government shill organization.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
22 lr is always the first to go. its been that way for years.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times
I've had no problem getting everything I need, but some calibers took me a month to get a sizeable supply of factory ammo, plus plated bullets, primers, powder. .357 was the most difficult to find. 9mm took a week to get a year's worth of ammo. I got more .40 than Illl use in my lifetime, in 2 weeks. Same goes for .45 and .223. And .22 is coming out of my ears. It took me a month to collect what is currently projected to be a 4-5 year supply of 22lr.
obviously 7.62x54r/39 were very easy to find.

And this is in California, where it's supposedly really hard to find stuff.

I feel like people are going to one gun shop, or hitting a single walmart and throwing their hands in the air.

Generally I:
Check cabelas
Check slickguns
Go to a couple walmarts at 9am
Watch for .22lr deals. HAve scored a couple 'buckets of bullets' and 'ammo cans of .22lr bricks' by favoriting and visiting product pages.

(PS - I'm not stock-piling, just keeping a good supply of factory ammo to make brass for reloading. I don't really shoot that much, maybe 200-300 rounds across all my calibers per month.)

Old 12-20-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
(PS - I'm not stock-piling, just keeping a good supply of factory ammo to make brass for reloading. I don't really shoot that much, maybe 200-300 rounds across all my calibers per month.)
Just a quick comment on this... those round counts add up to 2400-3600rds/year, and you claim that you "don't really shoot that much".

Add that to this quote from the article:
Quote:
Nevertheless, worries spread in some circles on the Internet when it was reported that the DHS had a contract for a maximum of 450 million rounds of .40-cal. jacketed hollow-points to be supplied during the next five years. Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.) investigated the contract and published a press release noting that, given all the agencies DHS buys for, “450 million rounds really isn’t that large of an order.” Westmoreland’s staff calculated that if the “DHS were to purchase all 450 million rounds over 5 years, then that would equate to only about 1,384 rounds of ammunition” per year per law-enforcement officer and so on.
Followed up a few paragraphs down by:
Quote:
Ammunition manufacturers back up the DHS’ explanation. For example, Federal Premium Ammunition, which has 1,400 employees making ammunition in Anoka, Minn.—some for federal contracts—published a statement saying that the rumor DHS is “buying excessive quantities of ammunition, thereby restricting availability to the commercial market,” is a “false and baseless claim.” Federal Premium says, “The Department of Homeland Security contract makes up a very small percentage of our total ammunition output. This contract is not taking ammunition away from civilians. The current increase in demand is attributed to the civilian market. Our production volumes on government contracts have been stable since the mid-2000s.”
Keep that in mind the next time some tin-foil-hat type starts spouting about how the the DHS is stockpilling massive quantities of bullets in underground bunkers for the upcoming UN takeover/apocalypse/military coup. The only way this would be possible is if ALL the ammo manufacturers, gun manufacturers, and major retailers were involved in a vast conspiracy.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Just a quick comment on this... those round counts add up to 2400-3600rds/year, and you claim that you "don't really shoot that much".
That's just a couple hours of active range time, really.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Quote:
so 3600/120 or a couple of hours in mins. is 30 rounds a min? Now that is waste.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Quote:
so 3600/120 or a couple of hours in mins. is 30 rounds a min? Now that is waste.
No, the 200-300 rounds per month is a couple of hours of active range time. I agree with that. The last time my wife and I went to the range we went through several hundred rounds (mostly .22LR, but also .380, .38Spcl, and 9mm), but it was more like 3 hours.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
NFN but it seems to me that many guys who are complaining about no ammo are the same guys who are buying more than they need at any one time.
In my way of thinking if I'm going to shoot 200 rounds today that's what I want to buy.
I have no need to stock up for the SHTF fantasy.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
I reload for myself and my wife, my father, brother and brother in law.
On average, about 50 rds per person per year, per caliber and usually i load for 3-4 calibers per person.

I don't have much of a stockpile of supplies, but at current rates I could do just fine for several years.

The only thing I can't do is reload 22s.

I went around my town earlier this year just out of curiosity and found that I could buy hunting rounds at much inflated prices from the last time I bought them, and a limit of 2 boxes per customer, but there wasn't a 22 shell in the whole town.

I can get a pound of powder, some 22 caliber bullets, small rifle primers and at 9.5 grains/load I can shoot my 218 Bee for a long time, but the only box of loaded cartridges in that caliber I found was a 50 round box for $72.00 Brass is normally hard to find in that caliber, but now I can't even afford the loaded stuff so I can get brass that way.

This situation is NUTS!!

I personally don't care what the reason is, we need to have access to ammunition. The manufacturers need to add extra shifts or expand operations, I don't care, but the current situation is not acceptable.

It doesn't matter if the 2nd Amendment is safe if all are guns are reduced to crowbars because we don't have anything to shoot out of them.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
the price of ammo is so expensive and hard to find now that I dont even waste my time going to the range, it's too hard to replace so I dont use any of what I have

Im surprised to see so many people at gun shops still buying guns when there isnt much ammo available , no use buying a gun if you cant even use it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting