Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Not a thing wrong with Thunderbolts. I have run them through my 10/22, H&R, Smith and Ruger MK2 and they run just fine.
Your one of the lucky ones. They shoot fine out of my rifle, but they are freeking dirty. I spend much more time cleaning after using thunderbolts than any other ammo. Look online nad you can find videos of people scraping strings for lead out of their guns after shooting Thunderbolts.

Soft lead and dirty powder, not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 03:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Your one of the lucky ones. They shoot fine out of my rifle, but they are freeking dirty. I spend much more time cleaning after using thunderbolts than any other ammo. Look online nad you can find videos of people scraping strings for lead out of their guns after shooting Thunderbolts.

Soft lead and dirty powder, not for me.
Its a 22 I though they were supposed to shoot dirty.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
A local person was selling Remington Thunderbolt .22 LR bullets, which used to sell for $1.50-2.25 for a 50 box barely 2 years ago, for the crazy price of $10. They acted like it had been that price for YEARS (no way) and heck someone there gladly paid that price for it.

The two questions I have: even with the shortage of .22 LR bullets that's going on, isn't that a really crazy price? Also, is the supply of .22 LR bullets EVER going to get somewhat back to normal, are we doomed to these shortages for all-time now? And are the prices for them EVER going to stop being so crazy?
Yes, it's absolutely nuts! If I came across that I'd tell the dealer it was nuts and that he had just lost my business. Are we always going to see these prices? Well, that's up to yourself and others. If people keep buying it at those prices, then sure, dealers will continue to sell it at those prices. Why wouldn't they? If you want the prices to go down, simply quit buying ammo for the time being, or buy only what is necessary. If demand drops, so will prices.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 AM

806 posts, read 876,366 times
There will be no unity on this . People are going to buy .22 at crazy prices because they think they need to . I have built my stock up to over 7k rds by being patient and only buying at " normal " prices . I won't pay over .10 cents a round right now .

Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
There will be no unity on this . People are going to buy .22 at crazy prices because they think they need to . I have built my stock up to over 7k rds by being patient and only buying at " normal " prices . I won't pay over .10 cents a round right now .
My line in the sand was nothing over 9 cents shipped and I took that down to 8 because I have seen more ammo and was getting better at finding it. I pained over the .072 cents a round I paid for one box shipped of the 550, but it was one box. There is nothing cheaper that I can find than the Walmart Federal 550s at 4.5 cents a round OTD. Where I live the population has swollen to twice what it is in the summer and many of the retired stand in line at 6am to buy ammo. It puts a lot of pressure on the ammo, but I am set if I dont' find much more. I have a lot of back orders in to on line sales and if they start to come through it will be more than I can use.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
...(2) why is it likely to not get back to normal for a long time? Such seems to already be happening to the other rounds, what gives with .22 LR?...
This is not the sub-forum to discuss politics, so I will try very hard to refrain.

In today's political atmosphere, there is a real fear that the purchase of ammunition will be severely restricted in the future. This has resulted in a run on available ammunition and because there is a larger profit margin on larger caliber rounds, that is where the manufactures are spending their factory capacity. When things become more "reasonable" in the national and many state governments, then things will return to a more normal supply/demand marketplace.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
This is not the sub-forum to discuss politics, so I will try very hard to refrain.

In today's political atmosphere, there is a real fear that the purchase of
ammunition will be severely restricted
in the future. This has resulted in a run on available ammunition and because there is a larger profit margin on larger caliber rounds, that is where the manufactures are spending their factory capacity. When things become more "reasonable" in the national and many state governments, then things will return to a more normal supply/demand marketplace.
While the "fear" may be real, the chance of it happening is not. I can't speak to state governments, but anyone who has a working knowledge of how politics work knows there is no chance of anything like this happening at the federal level, just like there was no chance at a new assault weapons ban. The GOP would have never allowed it to pass the House even if it had miraculously passed the Senate. As far as the makeup of each individual state? I don't know, but what I do know is over 100 new gun laws have passed throughout the states in 2013, and two thirds of those actually loosened gun restriction, so I think people just need to educate themselves and chill the heck out.

After November of this year? Who knows, the irrational fear may become a reality.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM

806 posts, read 876,366 times
I added another 1500 rds of .22 ammo to my stash in the last week or so . I'm up to a little over 8500 rds and finally starting to feel comfortable . I won't get caught short again like I did after the Sandy Hook school shooting . As soon as the weather warms up I'll start shooting some of it .

Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
This ammo shortage is no different than the so called gas shortage. ( started by gas market speculators) We get duped into believing there is going to be a shortage so many people decide to fill up their gas tanks every other day, just in case. The same thing is happening with ammo, the hoarders are buying more than they need because they are afraid the govt will ban ammo some day.

The people who convinced gun owners that there is going to be a shortage of ammo are to blame. Just who are those people? Could they be profiteering from that created fear?

My local gun shop establishments blame the shortage on hoarders.

BTW my local shop is selling 22lr for 4.99 for Foicchi HV and Amscorp HV for 3.99 for 50

Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
My local gun shop establishments blame the shortage on hoarders.
BTW my local shop is selling 22lr for 4.99 for Foicchi HV and Amscorp HV for 3.99 for 50
It appears your local gun shop has no problem making even more money for the prices you quote. I might look at other gun shops, not all are jacking up prices to demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting