Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:46 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

You know, there seems to have been a constant debate going on over the last year about gun control. We can see and participate the debate going on on our TV's and here on the internet. I've posted in countless threads about the merits or lack thereof of these so-called gun control measures. One recurring theme is to call criminals "bad guys" and hearing that makes me cringe. Even the NRA in their response after Sandy Hook came out and said "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".... When I hear phrases like that, I half expect a bunch of kids to run out of somewhere and start playing cops and robbers. We got to get the "bad guys".... "we got to stop the bad guys"..... Even high profile politicians use this phrase. Am I the only one or does it just sound foolish? I don't think it does anything to advance the cause and minimizes our argument to a child-like nature.

We're all adults, so le's call them what they are: Criminals.

Just my 0.02

Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
I agree that it is a childish term, but it also just assumes everything is black and white which is also ridiculous.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
I call them sub human filth but hey that's just me.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You know, there seems to have been a constant debate going on over the last year about gun control. We can see and participate the debate going on on our TV's and here on the internet. I've posted in countless threads about the merits or lack thereof of these so-called gun control measures. One recurring theme is to call criminals "bad guys" and hearing that makes me cringe. Even the NRA in their response after Sandy Hook came out and said "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".... When I hear phrases like that, I half expect a bunch of kids to run out of somewhere and start playing cops and robbers. We got to get the "bad guys".... "we got to stop the bad guys"..... Even high profile politicians use this phrase. Am I the only one or does it just sound foolish? I don't think it does anything to advance the cause and minimizes our argument to a child-like nature.

Just my 0.02
So, new speech code:
'bad guys' is unacceptable. The new, acceptable term is 'criminals'

That's called political correctness. That's what political correctness is: speech codes. The use of acceptable words of phrases and the opposing of unacceptable words and phrases.

And demanding a speech code is exactly what you've done here.

Funny, but I searched on your userid and 'politically correct' - you endlessly whine about political correctness in your posts. But as with most people who whine about political correctness, you're unable to see your own political correctness, undoubtedly because you narcissistically define political correctness as "speech codes, except for those speech codes I happen to like".

PS - 'criminals' doesn't bother me at all, I just enjoy the spectacle of a poster who complains regularly about political correctness demanding political correctness. Hilarious!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
What do you want to call them?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Are you bored tonight? A thread on terminology? I choose to call them whatever is handy at the time. Please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Political correctness - the attempt to pick a piece of poo by the clean end. Good luck with that......

bad guys
criminals
criminally insane
perps
whack jobs
hooligan
gangsta

Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Well, since "politician" and "criminal" are interchangeable, "bad guy" or "perp" should suffice for the gun control/freedom debate.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Political correctness - the attempt to pick a piece of poo by the clean end. Good luck with that......

bad guys
criminals
criminally insane
perps
whack jobs
hooligan
gangsta
Yep, PC has gotten us to the point of you cannot call anything what it really is....

However,

I prefer dumb ass....ignorant....stupid....and what ever I feel at that point in time, depending on the situation....

Old 01-31-2014, 07:50 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Just my 0.02
I like the sound of "bad guys". It's more fun to say. I would say "bad guys and bad girls", but there would probably be some politically correct do-gooder that would suggest it's wrong for me to pick on women. So I'll just stick with "bad guys" as a general, inclusive term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting