Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,965,303 times

Advertisements

Both Ruger and S&W have decided they will no longer sell in California those firearms required to have microstamping technology incorporated into the firearm design.

It might be interesting to note that law enforcement is exempt from microstamping laws. So that makes sense that the technology can be used to identify the firearm that discharged the bullet except if a law enforcement officer does so.

Yes, lets insure that the bullets fired from firearms used by law enforcement can't be identified by the very technology mandate that everyone else will be subjected to. Makes perfect sense.

BTW, other states are going to adopt this law as well so thinking it is just California is folly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,431,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Both Ruger and S&W have decided they will no longer sell in California those firearms required to have microstamping technology incorporated into the firearm design.

It might be interesting to note that law enforcement is exempt from microstamping laws. So that makes sense that the technology can be used to identify the firearm that discharged the bullet except if a law enforcement officer does so.

Yes, lets insure that the bullets fired from firearms used by law enforcement can't be identified by the very technology mandate that everyone else will be subjected to. Makes perfect sense.

BTW, other states are going to adopt this law as well so thinking it is just California is folly.
Perhaps I should buy my guns like my cars, older and used?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
Hmmm.....I wonder if they'll be relocating to New York?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Here we see yet ANOTHER example of what liberalism does to the economy. Make it hard enough on a business, and they will pick up and leave the state--and take jobs and tax revenue with them.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,204,841 times
Good. It'd be nice if other manufacturers did this too, and refused LE sales and service until this is overturned or struck down.

California's testing costs and procedures for firearms "approval" are ridiculous. Don't they know they're keeping the poor and the minorities from their right to bear arms for self-defense, hunting, and recreation?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,965,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Perhaps I should buy my guns like my cars, older and used?
In California and probably every other state that adopts such a law, I imagine that they (the state) will prohibit the purchase of any firearm that falls within the affected categories new or used. I can see them saying that you can purchase a used firearm so long as you have microstamping added to it.

The incremental nature of gun control laws is such that eventually all firearms will be required to have microstamping or something similar. The costs to convert used firearms will probably make it cost prohibitive to own or sell one through a dealer. That leaves private transfers outside of a dealer which in California is illegal.

Microstamping doesn't solve any problems even if it can correlate a fired bullet to a specific firearm. It doesn't matter what gun was used, it matters who used the gun.

Since law enforcement is exempt, I wonder if after a time, any person shot where the bullet was found not to have been microstamped, would then law enforcement be held accountable? Regardless, microstamping is something that can easily be defeated by some readily available methods.

Like all feel good laws, this one accomplishes exactly what the proponents desired, more control, less availability and the ability to manipulate a market according to their own agenda.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:07 PM

46,328 posts, read 27,162,639 times
Good, when you have CA lawmakers telling lies to push an agenda, they very well should move out....

30 rounds in 1/2 second.......yes, that was said....

Old 01-24-2014, 01:35 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,431,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
In California and probably every other state that adopts such a law, I imagine that they (the state) will prohibit the purchase of any firearm that falls within the affected categories new or used. I can see them saying that you can purchase a used firearm so long as you have microstamping added to it.

The incremental nature of gun control laws is such that eventually all firearms will be required to have microstamping or something similar. The costs to convert used firearms will probably make it cost prohibitive to own or sell one through a dealer. That leaves private transfers outside of a dealer which in California is illegal.

Right but what about firearms that are already owned by someone. Are you telling me they want all 300 million firearms already in owner's homes to be retrofitted? Would they then fine 'ol man Johnson who's 85 years old who didn't get the memo? Going through all those guns and determining who owns them would be a logistical improbability.
Maybe they are "grandfathered" like "assault weapons" ? (But then when a crime happens, how do you determine which gun was a grandfathered one vs one that just illegally doesn't have microstamping?)

Then you have to wait several decades, maybe a century before those grandfathered firearms are removed from circulation by either age, lost in the woods, end up in criminal's hands then confiscated after a crime.... or maybe we just continue to be more controlled and society progresses to totalitarianism that they are someday forcefully removed from our homes by the government?

I agree that this doesn't solve any problems, especially when they pick and choose whose firearms get microstamped.
In a grim view of the future, I can see them wanting to track not only each individual bullet a person buys, but also register every single gun like a vehicle. Couple that with cameras at every turn, tracking in cell phones, monitored conversations and emails...The government's logic is there could be zero crime one day, so long as they watch us remotely from our 3AM REM sleep to our mundane conversations about favorite coffee while at work to our choice of radio programming on the drive home, whilst monitoring our vehicle's speed.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM

836 posts, read 1,663,867 times
Glad to see it- I bailed Cali in '78 & never looked back.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,977,044 times
Just watched a video on this, its not as easy as just doing some dremel work. Its recessed in the firing pin and its also on the breach face, and its in two or more spots. The technology is also made so its around the outside of the FP so if you do grind down the surface the outside is still there. If this goes through old guns will be a premium. The California law seems to only apply to semis for now, and it also provides for two micro serial numbers to be stamped inside the gun. It looks like a mess. The left is doing to guns what Texas is doing to abortion, making laws so restrictive as to shut down what they can not outright do. I hope a lot of people move out of California.

Last edited by saxondale351; 01-24-2014 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting