Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times

Advertisements

Well, well, I talked to my son on the phone this morning, and he hit a deer on the out skirts of town at about 10 AM. He said his speed was probably 50 MPH, and the deer ran down a steep slope next to the road and on to the road. He didn't even have time to put his brake on before he hit it, it damaged the right front fender, right side door, hood, and went over the top of his pickup. So, like I said before, sometimes this happens so quickly you don't have a chance to stop. There haven't been a lot of deer in the area where this deer was hit, there's one less now. Hitting the deer didn't kill it, but it left him on the side of the road near death. His throat was cut and ODOT was called to pick him up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Well, well, I talked to my son on the phone this morning, and he hit a deer on the out skirts of town at about 10 AM. He said his speed was probably 50 MPH, and the deer ran down a steep slope next to the road and on to the road. He didn't even have time to put his brake on before he hit it, it damaged the right front fender, right side door, hood, and went over the top of his pickup. So, like I said before, sometimes this happens so quickly you don't have a chance to stop. There haven't been a lot of deer in the area where this deer was hit, there's one less now. Hitting the deer didn't kill it, but it left him on the side of the road near death. His throat was cut and ODOT was called to pick him up.
dang, shoulda chucked it into the back

Old 08-18-2014, 03:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Hunting and killing deer (if you're eating them, I have no issue with that) has no relationship to you being a less than alert driver. 2nd time in a year you've hit a deer says to me that you're not very attentive. It could have been a child. Slow down and look for the deer.

wish you would tell that to the idiot city people who just happen to drop off their unwanted cats and dogs in the wilds. I noticed that I am starting to have feral cats on the property.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
I have not hit anything. Do I think 2 accidents in a year is not a good driver? It is a sign of not cautious enough and that is exactly what I said.

I have been driving for almost 50 years and have had 3 accidents that were reportable and 2 that caused no appreciable damage. Only 1 was my fault: I backed into a stanchion - over 40 years ago. The others were being rear-ended and one t-bone from a guy who ran a red light - and nothing in the last 10-20 years including having driven cross-country (through rural Wisconsin and TN) and along the coast, repeatedly. I have driven on 2 lane county roads through deer and other wildlife country as well as in NYC - where the other drivers are far worse and unpredictible than any deer.

I think my 40 years' qualifies me to criticize someone else's driving for having 2 accidents in one year. Don't kill the deer! or the puppies or kitties. I hate having to stop and clean up your mess with the small hope that there is life to save.

PS, I only wish it were all legal deer hunting. Those shots I hear at 4 am are not legal hunting - nor the ones at 8 or 9 pm - 12 months out of the year. But people need to eat - and we are in a very poor area of the country. I'm not a "kill plants not animals" person - eat/use what you kill - we are all part of the food chain.
Lady, you don't get it. Sometimes you have no choice but to hit the deer. They come out of the forest at a dead run right in front of you, there is literally nothing you can do, there isn't enough time or space to avoid them. I'm convinced they are committing suicide.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 AM

177 posts, read 338,689 times
You did good two deer in one year But you haven't matched my record Two deer one day One going to work almost totaled a Grand Am one on the way home front end grill damage on 2000 Silverado neither deer usable. (For NY Annie I was traveling at the posted Speed limit of 55 MPH 60MPH =88 feet per second Deer run at about 30MPH Highway full right of way = 88 ft woods on both sides. Running Deer has to be visible more then 100 ft ahead to be able to avoid if it is crossing) Rural Highways Different roads. Morning deer jumped from ditch by a Golf Course evening deer was being chased by a loose dog. Only good thing is the dog was following too close and was hit by the car behind me. BTW before commenting I'm a responsible dog owner. I believe the owner who was called let the dog loose to chase deer (illegal in this state and it was not deer season either) He lived over 10 miles away.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
You did good two deer in one year But you haven't matched my record Two deer one day One going to work almost totaled a Grand Am one on the way home front end grill damage on 2000 Silverado neither deer usable. (For NY Annie I was traveling at the posted Speed limit of 55 MPH 60MPH =88 feet per second Deer run at about 30MPH Highway full right of way = 88 ft woods on both sides. Running Deer has to be visible more then 100 ft ahead to be able to avoid if it is crossing) Rural Highways Different roads. Morning deer jumped from ditch by a Golf Course evening deer was being chased by a loose dog. Only good thing is the dog was following too close and was hit by the car behind me. BTW before commenting I'm a responsible dog owner. I believe the owner who was called let the dog loose to chase deer (illegal in this state and it was not deer season either) He lived over 10 miles away.

If someone gets caught chasing a Deer with a dog they'd do prison time in CA.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Hunting and killing deer (if you're eating them, I have no issue with that) has no relationship to you being a less than alert driver. 2nd time in a year you've hit a deer says to me that you're not very attentive. It could have been a child. Slow down and look for the deer.
I'm just now finding this thread and this post had me laughing line crazy. I had an early morning paper route for a year and hit 2 deer, 1 racoon, 3 possums, and a horse! Yes I was alert and, after the first deer, I was very attentive. But you go down some roads where the trees and brush are almost right on the road. A deer can be standing out of sight, hear the car, get startled, and run for the other side of the road...right in front of you. The second deer ran into the driver side door. The side view mirror took the hardest hit.
As far as the horse, I was driving about 45 MPH, went around a curve and didn't see the dark brown horse till it was almost too late. Hit him broadside and what I call the politician end of the horse (the horse's a**), flattened the top of the passenger side of my Mercury Grand Marqui. That's the only one that wasn't repairable.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:14 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
...2nd time in a year you've hit a deer says to me that you're not very attentive. It could have been a child. Slow down and look for the deer.
I was driving at 30 mph in a small Washington state town when a gang(herd?) of dear came out of nowhere and I almost hit one. I was shocked at how quickly they bounded onto the road and in front of my car.

It's not just about slowing down or being more careful. Sometimes you just have to be lucky.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:

go to Wisconsin some time, where deer are more numerous than people are. Also come out here where I live now, where wildlife is way more populated than human beings are.

I know you people in your concrete jungles do not have much wildlife, but please do not tell us what to do when people in NY are in their 10+ story apartment buildings and have not seen green grass in a decade or more, and I don't mean some park where it is grown to look nice for the populace, I mean out if the rural areas.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:12 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If someone gets caught chasing a Deer with a dog they'd do prison time in CA.
Quote:
"It is unlawful to permit or allow any dog to pursue any big game mammal during the closed season on such mammal, to pursue any fully protected, rare, or endangered mammal at any time, or to pursue any mammal in a game refuge or ecological reserve if hunting within such refuge or ecological reserve is unlawful. Any employee of the fish and game department may capture or dispatch a dog causing injury to wildlife without liability.

CA Fish and G. Code § 3960"
The entire statute is found here: CA Codes (fgc:3950-3961)

Quote:
3960. (a) As used in this section:
(1) "Pursue" means pursue, run, or chase.
(2) "Bear" means any black bear (Ursus americanus) found in the
wild in this state.
(b) It is unlawful to permit or allow any dog to pursue any big
game mammal during the closed season on that mammal, to pursue any
fully protected, rare, or endangered mammal at any time, to pursue
any bear or bobcat at any time, or to pursue any mammal in a game
refuge or ecological reserve if hunting within that refuge or
ecological reserve is unlawful.
(c) (1) The department may take any of the following actions:
(A) Capture any dog not under the reasonable control of its owner
or handler, when that uncontrolled dog is pursuing, in violation of
this section, any big game mammal, any bear or bobcat, or any fully
protected, rare, or endangered mammal.
(B) Capture or dispatch any dog inflicting injury or immediately
threatening to inflict injury to any big game mammal during the
closed season on that mammal, and the department may capture or
dispatch any dog inflicting injury or immediately threatening to
inflict injury on any bear or bobcat at any time, or any fully
protected, rare, or endangered mammal at any time.
(C) Capture or dispatch any dog inflicting injury or immediately
threatening to inflict injury to any mammal in a game refuge or
ecological reserve if hunting within that refuge or ecological
reserve is unlawful.
(2) No criminal or civil liability shall accrue to any department
employee as a result of enforcement of this section.
(3) This section does not apply to the use of dogs to pursue bears
or bobcats by federal, state, or local law enforcement officers, or
their agents or employees, when carrying out official duties as
required by law.
(4) Owners of dogs with identification, that have been captured or
dispatched, shall be notified within 72 hours after capture or
dispatch.
Highly unlikely any prison time would result to any individual if their dog was pursuing game. Maybe a civil violation if the animal destroys game.

In most states it is illegal to shoot a collared dog, however in some states if the dog is harassing livestock, then it may be dispatched by the property owner, but then again that is not the norm.

Montana Law-
Quote:
Except when using dogs to chase stock-killing predators, a person may not chase with a dog any of the game or fur-bearing animals as defined by the fish and game laws of this state. Anyone authorized to enforce Montana game laws may kill such a dog. The owner may be guilty of a misdemeanor.

MT ST § 87-3-124
Montana game chase laws are specific. You chase game (not authorized) you get a misdemeanor and possibly a dead dog. If your dog harasses livestock- different story.
Quote:
(1) As used in this section, "harasses" means worries, chases, or runs after livestock, including ostriches, rheas, and emus, in a manner that may lead to subsequent injury to the livestock.
(2) A dog, whether licensed or not, that, while off the premises owned or under control of its owner and on property owned, leased, or controlled by the livestock owner, harasses, kills, wounds, or injures livestock not belonging to the owner of the dog is considered a public nuisance and:
(a) may be killed immediately by the owner of the livestock or an agent or employee of the owner; or
(b) the owner of the dog, when reasonably notified after due process, shall kill the dog within 24 hours of notification. If the owner fails to do so, an officer may be notified and shall kill the dog or cause the dog to be killed.
(3) A dog may not be killed in a manner that will endanger a person.
(4) This section does not apply to a dog herding livestock under the direction of its owner or the agents or employees of its owner.
(5) This section does not apply to a dog engaged in legitimate sport hunting or predator control activities under the direction of its owner or the agents or employees of its owner.
(6) The owner of a dog that harasses, kills, wounds, or injures livestock is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not more than $500. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/mtcode/8....BqeHdHHF.dpuf
I only illuminate this because I have owned hunting dogs most of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting