Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times

Advertisements

Most of the gun snobs I've met were at the range...it's fun to out shoot them with my crappy hunk of steel!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Gun snob or not they are a gun owner and that's ok in my book.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
The AR snobs can be particularly annoying.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Talking Gun forum expert

Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
^^^^ he can keep his Block....I'll keep my Ruger! I do agree with him about 1911's though, just not the Block.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I am a gun snob, I have no problem admitting it. Guns fall into two categories for me 1. Tools 2. Collectors.

Number 1 are things glocks, AR's, sigs, pretty much anything with a matte finish and plastic. I own 5 or so guns of this type. I don't have to worry about them, they are a means to an end. I don't have pictures of them, I won't even talk about them because they are boring.

Number 2 are really nice guns that are limited production, high quality and rare. The pinnacle of my collection is my s&w registered magnum, built in the mid 1930's, completely hand made by craftsman with a deep blueing you could lose yourself in, less than 5k made and I even have the original (though worn) box.
Actually you seem to be a firearms aficionado.

That is one fine and delicious Smith you have there. Anyone who has ever smelled gunpowder would love to own it.

To me, a gun snob is someone who thinks their brand is the only way to go and everybody else's ain't worth diddly.... and has to announce it everywhere ad nauseum.

I like some "Tupperware" guns (have bought 5 - 3 Rugers, 2 Kahrs), all steel guns, stainless, blued, nickled, 1911s, wheelguns, Smiths, ARs, Colts, semiautos, single shots, bolt actions, lever guns, US made, foreign made.... and so on.

Heck, I even gave my late MIL's little bitty pot metal Titan .25 kudos for helping scare off an intruder at her house late one night.

To each his own, I say.

My Smiths aren't rare, but I think they are beautiful (except for the billboard on the Airweight)...

Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I love guns but hate gun people.
I see your problem

Old 02-27-2014, 04:35 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I see your problem
It was a blanket statement for affect. But there is a seed of truth in it. I know a lot of gun people who are great. But many like some here even who whine about what ammo and how much I buy, or those who will call another person crazy for buying a Taurus pt92 vs buying a Beretta 92. You know I had years ago a Davis 380 auto. Yes it was a zink gun, bulky not high quality but it did what it was supposed to do every time I pulled the trigger. I sold it but I also paid 80 bucks new for it. I always think of the person who wants a gun for home defense but can not afford the Ruger for 400 bucks. Then there are the BMW people who think they are special because they can waste money on a car that delivers nothing for that money, or gun in this case. Such as the Rourbaugh. 1000 bucks and up for a gun that does nothing for that money. I would buy a Kahr CW9 long before that gun and pay about 1/4 the amount and have IMO a better gun. Just like BMW has a low reliability rate I have seen many of the so called high end guns do not have a great reputation or at the very min. no better than guns that cost 1/2 to 1/4 the price.

I then hear the gun snobs say but I can afford it. Sure you have every right to waste your money in any way you want. I have the right to say its a waste of money and you got nothing for your money but to brag you wasted it.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I suppose I am a snob as I do not like modern blocky type hand guns since the inception of the Glock. But that is only my preference and I do not care what others purchase. My brother owns a few glocks, a P88, and some other euro lego designs. I dislike the grip and none point naturally compared to a Browning Hi-Power.

It is like a Chevrolet vs. Ford. vs Mopar thing. You enjoy what you own and the other fellow enjoys what he owns but you would never own what he owns.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I suppose I am a snob as I do not like modern blocky type hand guns since the inception of the Glock. But that is only my preference and I do not care what others purchase. My brother owns a few glocks, a P88, and some other euro lego designs. I dislike the grip and none point naturally compared to a Browning Hi-Power.

It is like a Chevrolet vs. Ford. vs Mopar thing. You enjoy what you own and the other fellow enjoys what he owns but you would never own what he owns.
Your post is the exact opposite of a snob. Everyone has a preference and likes and dislikes on most everything. A snob is one who thinks that what he/she has is the only right choice, like if you don't wear Air Jordans you would be better off going barefoot. I can not tell you how many times I have hears someone rail against a Taurus, or Highpoint as being worse armed than throwing stones. LMAO I have a Beretta and a Taurus 92, and out of the two I prefer the Taurus. I have had some junk guns by Taurus, the slim line gave me problems on the 40 and the 9 I had. But then so did Beretta, my Tomcat gave me problems and I got rid of it. If you like the Beretta over the Taurus thats fine, but what you cant say with a straight face is that its night and day difference between the Taurus 92 and Beretta 92. Or that if you have a Taurus you have wasted your money. Its like in the knife arena, if you don't have a 500 dollar Microtech you have a lump of scrap steel. I would not pay 200 for a Microtech. Nutinfancy did a review of the 20 dollar Lighting and found for an OTF it was extremely reliable. I have 4 of these paid as little as 9 bucks 10 years ago at a flea market and it still works like the day I bought it and I have many hundreds in my picket that I could have bought Conoco Phillips and made 5 percent plus a price rise and splits. LOL If you want a Microtech that's fine also but most knife people are snobs and if you don't argue about one of three knives you are summarily dismissed as a crank who knows little about the aristocracy of knives. snob is an attitude not what you buy. If you buy a BMW but think the guy with the Chevy Spark has a good car that can service him for many years just fine and fits a customer who either can not afford or can afford but chooses not to spend his money this way, then that is the opposite of snob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting