Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,909,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
It was a blanket statement for affect. But there is a seed of truth in it. I know a lot of gun people who are great. But many like some here even who whine about what ammo and how much I buy, or those who will call another person crazy for buying a Taurus pt92 vs buying a Beretta 92. You know I had years ago a Davis 380 auto. Yes it was a zink gun, bulky not high quality but it did what it was supposed to do every time I pulled the trigger. I sold it but I also paid 80 bucks new for it. I always think of the person who wants a gun for home defense but can not afford the Ruger for 400 bucks. Then there are the BMW people who think they are special because they can waste money on a car that delivers nothing for that money, or gun in this case. Such as the Rourbaugh. 1000 bucks and up for a gun that does nothing for that money. I would buy a Kahr CW9 long before that gun and pay about 1/4 the amount and have IMO a better gun. Just like BMW has a low reliability rate I have seen many of the so called high end guns do not have a great reputation or at the very min. no better than guns that cost 1/2 to 1/4 the price.

I then hear the gun snobs say but I can afford it. Sure you have every right to waste your money in any way you want. I have the right to say its a waste of money and you got nothing for your money but to brag you wasted it.
What you said are all true but why let them bother you? There are things we can do something about and there are many that we can't. I focus on the things I can do something about; mainly my attitude & my actions.

I paid $69 for my Davis .380 That was in 1990 though (B&B guns in N. Hollywood, CA, what a great store back then!) , at the counter another guy lean over next to me and said "what kinda of junk gun cost only $69?" I did not confront him. I just smiled and go about my business.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,970,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
What you said are all true but why let them bother you? There are things we can do something about and there are many that we can't. I focus on the things I can do something about; mainly my attitude & my actions.

I paid $69 for my Davis .380 That was in 1990 though (B&B guns in N. Hollywood, CA, what a great store back then!) , at the counter another guy lean over next to me and said "what kinda of junk gun cost only $69?" I did not confront him. I just smiled and go about my business.
69 bucks good buy. I still have my Davis 38 special Derringer. Its a knock off of the old Remington 41 rimfire. Works like it did back in the day. The lever snapped on it and Davis sent on free to replace it. Shoots great although I don't carry it or shoot it much. I paid 35 bucks used from a friend. He had borken the lever by wrenching on it and sold it cheap to me. I fixed it in a week for free. My Sigma I had SS was a very nice gun. It was stout and worked well. Man did that gun ever get a lot of smack talked about it. To this day the Glock people trash it like it talked bad about their mother. I know Smith has to pay some consideration to Glock for pat. issues, but that aside its a good gun all round. I think the SD9 took its place.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:59 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,170,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

no to the 1st and yes to the 2nd bdd.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
no to the 1st and yes to the 2nd bdd.
Your video guy on the 1911a1 says every one is going to say he is full of sh!&, that is because he is. LMAO WTF is he even talking about? Tolerances. The 1911 is not designed to be mass produced. LMAO This has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I have a 1911a1 from WW2, had one from WW1, a 70s combat commander, a NRM SS Gov., and several others, including a Remington Rand. All shot just fine. The only thing I did was change my NRMs trigger from long to short, hammer to spur, beaver tail and ambi safety. Had to do a bit of grinding to get the beaver tail to work property but it shoots just fine with factory or reloads. This guy knows people are going to say he is full of it because he is full of it. You posting it is not a good sign of rational if you posted it as something to believe, if you did it to show a dumb ass, well then that's different.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 PM

1911's SUCK???? VR to James Yeager - YouTube

Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 PM

The quote "A properly functioning 1911 is as rare as a malfunctioning Glock" has to one of the dumbest things I have heard in a while about the 1911. He sure loves the sound of his own voice and to beat his chest about how great he is. If someone can not use a 1911 its more a sign of their inadequacy with fire arms and less about the 1911. Todays people want a gun that they do not have to learn how to use. The Glock fits that well. Its getting close to an idiot proof gun. I own two and they are great guns, but to say that they rarely malfunction is an over statement. I have seen frames crack on them as I have on several Poly guns. Very rare to see a Colt crack even when they have fired 10s of thousands of rounds. I don't really put one above the other, and both are good guns. The 1911 is for those who want to and can learn to use a gun and under stand and love the mechanical property's of how things work. Its like comparing a 1970 Chevelle to a Tesla. If you don't see the appeal to the Chevelle you will never understand cars. Something that sucks, does not last 103 years.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 PM

18,953 posts, read 13,843,099 times
Is there really anything comparable between 1911's and Glocks? I mean I can see comparing Glocks against other polymer-framed modern handguns, but a 1911? That's like comparing a Hyundai Elantra to a Jeep Cherokee. It makes no sense at all.

EDIT: Wow, I should have read the post above mine. Sorry for re-using the car comparison.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM

12,922 posts, read 13,256,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Something that sucks, does not last 103 years.

Truth!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,968,807 times
Once again, nobody can stay on topic.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.