Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Word!!!

So, assuming 9mm muzzle noise is 3dB higher than the .38spcl, it is twice as loud.
That is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Matix was hit by three 9mm and three .38spcl. Platt received more 9mm hits.

The FBI didn't develop the 10mm. It was the brainchild of Jeff Cooper, then slightly modified and first loaded commercially by Norma for the Bren Ten pistol.
FBI shootout:
- The FBI wasn't happy with the performance of .38Spc+P and 9mm handguns against an AR-15 and a shotgun. Go figure.
- A study was started to find a replacement handgun cartridge with more power. The massive full-power 10mm (10mmx25mm) cartridge was selected.
- Many agents subsequently had problems with the recoil of the full-power 10mm, plus the gun itself was too large for small-handed agents.
- The FBI did more studies, and as a result commissioned a special reduced-power 10mm cartridge.
- Smith & Wesson realized that the reduced powder charge and bullet length of the "10mm Lite" cartridge didn't need the capacity of the full-size 10x25mm case, so they cut it down to 10x22mm and called it the .40 S&W. This shorter case could fit into small-framed 9x19mm handguns with a few simple changes.

Back to the OP's situation: first time gun-buyer getting a bedside table gun.

Yes, the .38Spc was considered "underpowered" against two hardened criminals with superior weaponry. I'm sorry, but if two hardened criminals armed with an AR-15 and a shotgun break into your house in the middle of the night then it doesn't matter whether you get a .22LR or a .38Spc or a .40S&W. If you are alone you will likely die.

Yes, it is possible to defend yourself against any reasonably realistic scenario, but only at the expense of lots of money and training time. In the case above you would need a minimum of a shotgun or AR-15, plus a reinforced and locked bedroom door to give you time to wake up and ready your weapon. Instead, you have to look at probabilities. Unless you are actively involved with the drug trade, or else you are known as someone with access to lots of money, the chances of a full-on armed home invasion by several criminals are very slim.

Much more probable is a burglary or a drugged up single invader, in which case a .38Spc revolver should be more than adequate to get the job done.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 03-03-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Just for reference, 3db is twice power.

Ex Navy Sonar Tech here.

Exactly and there are many loadings for the .38 that are much lower.

In the equation of what works insofar as using a handgun for defense, where the individual is shot has as much to do with the effectiveness of the defense as anything else.

Good judgement

Speed, accuracy and power combined give the best result. Good judgment is always first. The rest can be jumbled in sequence but power has the most leeway. All the power in the world does you no good if you can't hit what you are shooting at or can't shoot in time to save yourself.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Unless you are actively involved with the drug trade, or else you are known as someone with access to lots of money, the chances of a full-on armed home invasion by several criminals are very slim.

Much more probable is a burglary or a drugged up single invader, in which case a .38Spc revolver should be more than adequate to get the job done.
^^^^ This ^^^^

It is easy to let your imagination run wild when it comes to home invasion self defense scenarios.

Now let us suppose the home invaders wear bullet-proof vest... What caliber handgun should I get....

Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
at least .357 .... or better yet, 10mm.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
if you are talking new, then I would say get a semi auto.
if you are talking about used, then get a revolver.
I bought a S&W 686 for $75 a few months ago. it did not come with any ammo, but I did get 9 speed loaders with the pistol too.
The .357 is in really good shape and I got quite the deal on it.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Many home invasions are committed by multiple people. When 3 or 4 guys or more bust down the door to do harm and rob me, I sure want more than 6 rounds in a revolver. My home defense guns are semi-auto's, are chambered and provide 13 (12 +1) or 17 (16 +1) rounds depending on which one I grab.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:20 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Many home invasions are committed by multiple people. When 3 or 4 guys or more bust down the door to do harm and rob me, I sure want more than 6 rounds in a revolver. My home defense guns are semi-auto's, are chambered and provide 13 (12 +1) or 17 (16 +1) rounds depending on which one I grab.
If you have "many home invasions" going on in your neighborhood against ordinary non-drug dealers (or if you have that many neighborhood drug dealers), you might want to think about moving.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:52 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Anything to back thiat up?

Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Anything to back thiat up?
Common sense. If it's done by a single perp then it would not be called an "invasion", but rather an "intrusion"

Back in California 10~15 yrs ago home invasion robbery happened a lot. A friend's stepdad's was "invaded", but he drew his gun started shooting and these "invaders" scrambled out of doors. He was only one guy against 3~4 guys but, as I said before; criminals are like cockeroaches and scatters at the first sign of danger. They only prey on the weak & the helpless (and the liberals who don't have guns ). You fire that first shot and they will run. Nobody is going to stand there and count your shots until you expended your first 6 shots. They are not very good in math in the first place.

But you got to be able to get your first shot off. If you draw your weapon and it does not go bang, or you are fumbling with your safeties, then the element of surprise and threat to the bad guys is gone. They sense either your weapon doesn't work or you don't know how it works and that emboldens them to be aggressors again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting