Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you go to gun shows
Not any more, I used to but I stopped no deals 17 19.54%
I do once in a while, I don't buy but its nice to look. 21 24.14%
Yes I go not because of deals but to see a large inventory of guns 23 26.44%
Yes, I think there are great deals that can not be had anywhere but a local gun show 26 29.89%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM

309 posts, read 348,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
They don't want you to know that they are charging way above retail.
But nobody uses Blackberries anymore; it's 2014

See the tables with the "Ask for gun show special prices" signs?
They'll charge you as much as they think they can get away with.

Then there are the dealers displaying used guns with higher than new gun prices; I guess those guys never get a chance to walk around the rest of the gun show themselves.
I've got a show coming up in a few weeks. I'm going to take some pics of price tags and items so people can see these "retail" prices and post em right here in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM

966 posts, read 1,345,706 times
I go to a number of them, but I am into odd ball stuff like Arisakas, Krags, I can still find deals on the Arisakas, if people only knew how strong they are they would buy them up. I have been looking for a bubby krag to use as a load test gun. If you ever have a chance to shoot a Krag, there is nothing sweeter or smoother.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
I go to a number of them, but I am into odd ball stuff like Arisakas, Krags, I can still find deals on the Arisakas, if people only knew how strong they are they would buy them up. I have been looking for a bubby krag to use as a load test gun. If you ever have a chance to shoot a Krag, there is nothing sweeter or smoother.
Ammo availability scares me away from such exotics.

More for you

Old 05-01-2014, 07:01 PM

966 posts, read 1,345,706 times
I could always find 30/40 on the shelf at cabellas, and most of the time the same with 7.7 ***.
They are easy to reload for as they both are .30 caliber, in a pinch 30/40 brass can be made from 303 british, and 7.7 from 30-06.

I might buy 1 new box of each a year to get some new brass into the pot, I shoot each about 500 rounds a year or more.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 PM

I'll tell you what guys, if you have never been to an NRA convention, you need to do that as well. The prices for venders direct are unbelievable. I'm into a deal that started Saturday while there going to be finished up tomorrow. It's 50% off a venders MSRP.

The price is so low, I can't even post what vender or the items.

I'm going in $3,000 deep worth of their products though if that tells you anything.

It's $6,000 worth retail.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I live close to a smaller town (18,000) that has a couple gun shows a year. I go when they are here. I think the door is $3.

It's not like the shows I went to in Dallas, Ft Worth, Oceanside, Atlanta, etc... but it's a decent show. There are normally about 75 or so booths. Most are guns, yet some are jerky, knives, etc... Of the gun booths, about half are dealers and half are private sales.

I don't mind the fact that there are booths with knives, jerky seasonings and such, if they didn't rent those booths, it would be a pretty boring show and the take at the door wouldn't be enough to keep the gun show coming back when it does. Like shopping at a store, if I didn't go in there for Jerky, I can walk on by the booth. I don't know why people are freaking out about a gun show that has a few booths that are not strictly guns. You can walk on by those booths if you really are dead set against seeing what they have.

I have found that the dealers charge the same at the show as the do at the store. There is no break for buying at the show. The private sales have some pretty good deals. Lots of antique guns available. I have bought handguns, rifles, and shotguns at shows, however, I don't buy something at every show.

The bottom line is, even if they charged $10 at the door, I'd go, just for the support so we can keep getting up enough capital to keep them coming here. If I want to go to a bigger show, I can always run up to Billings Montana, they always have a good show, or I could run down to Casper Wyoming, their show is pretty decent.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I live close to a smaller town (18,000) that has a couple gun shows a year. I go when they are here. I think the door is $3.

It's not like the shows I went to in Dallas, Ft Worth, Oceanside, Atlanta, etc... but it's a decent show. There are normally about 75 or so booths. Most are guns, yet some are jerky, knives, etc... Of the gun booths, about half are dealers and half are private sales.

I don't mind the fact that there are booths with knives, jerky seasonings and such, if they didn't rent those booths, it would be a pretty boring show and the take at the door wouldn't be enough to keep the gun show coming back when it does. Like shopping at a store, if I didn't go in there for Jerky, I can walk on by the booth. I don't know why people are freaking out about a gun show that has a few booths that are not strictly guns. You can walk on by those booths if you really are dead set against seeing what they have.

I have found that the dealers charge the same at the show as the do at the store. There is no break for buying at the show. The private sales have some pretty good deals. Lots of antique guns available. I have bought handguns, rifles, and shotguns at shows, however, I don't buy something at every show.

The bottom line is, even if they charged $10 at the door, I'd go, just for the support so we can keep getting up enough capital to keep them coming here. If I want to go to a bigger show, I can always run up to Billings Montana, they always have a good show, or I could run down to Casper Wyoming, their show is pretty decent.
Ours are never advertised nor misrepresented as "gun shows". It's a Gun, Knife, Military Surplus and Outdoor show.

Some up to 1500 tables. If it's made or was ever made, you'll find at least one there. I've even seen unfired Colt Army single action .45s new in the box before. The cylinder has never even been spun. Yeah, it was over seven grand.

Anything you want!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
It is like going to the yearly new model auto show...you can touch, test fit, etc new models without having a salesman bother you.

Pricing is through the roof compared to what I am accustomed to.

More WW2 stuff is becoming available as vets pass and families sell their souvenirs. At least in my part of the country where there are many retirees.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 13,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0317 View Post
Ours are never advertised nor misrepresented as "gun shows". It's a Gun, Knife, Military Surplus and Outdoor show.
Respectfully, the term "gun show" is used more as a generic shorthand term here. Yours may be officially different as are many others, but as a practical matter they're going to get lumped in with "gun shows" on this board for ease of discussion, albeit at a loss of clarity.

I have nothing against any of them. At this point, it's more retailers and shop owners than private sellers, and at any rate we're in the second year of an unprecedented surge in demand for guns and ammo, so why is anybody complaining that all they see is MSRP or higher prices than they're used to?
Isn't that what you'd expect in a situation where demand outstrips supply?
If it isn't, it surely ought to be.

And are people honesty complaining that prices are higher now than nearly 30 years ago when they went with their dads, or even 10 years ago? Honestly, it's like some people here don't know how prices work.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogrel View Post
Respectfully, the term "gun show" is used more as a generic shorthand term here. Yours may be officially different as are many others, but as a practical matter they're going to get lumped in with "gun shows" on this board for ease of discussion, albeit at a loss of clarity.

I have nothing against any of them. At this point, it's more retailers and shop owners than private sellers, and at any rate we're in the second year of an unprecedented surge in demand for guns and ammo, so why is anybody complaining that all they see is MSRP or higher prices than they're used to?
Isn't that what you'd expect in a situation where demand outstrips supply?
If it isn't, it surely ought to be.

And are people honesty complaining that prices are higher now than nearly 30 years ago when they went with their dads, or even 10 years ago? Honestly, it's like some people here don't know how prices work.
I think it's more disappointment than anything else - around here, gun shows are $15 per person admission, plus parking (around $8), and to go to one and see much higher prices than you can find online with a little google-fu is a bit anticlimactic.. The "tactical jerky" is just icing on the (bad) cake..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting