Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
So here is the scenario: You're in your local convenience store picking up some items. As you step around the corner you see a "customer" standing at the counter with his hand in his pocket. It quickly becomes obvious that you have stumbled upon an armed robbery. He does not know you are there. Of course you have your EDC weapon on you. What would you do? Do you have the right (or obligation) to draw your weapon to stop the crime and potentially saving the clerk's life? Under what circumstances would your answer change?
First things first.

The answer to that question is asking yourself why you carry a concealed firearm in the first place. That answer is is your answer.

Many people carry a concealed firearm and don't ask themselves the question of why beyond the fact they can do it or the standard "self defense" answer. No kidding, of course it is for self defense. Past that though, why do you carry it? Everyone who carries should know that before they step out the door and if they don't, something is missing.

Now to the scenario. If the suspects hand is in his pocket, how do you know the have a firearm or other weapon? You said it becomes obvious you stumbled upon an armed robbery yet you can't see a firearm or other weapon. It could be a strong arm robbery, ok but that is much different than armed robbery.

Everyone has the right to protect life, that isn't even a question. How you do it does however, matter.

In your question one must make a lot of assumptions in order to complete the thought that it is an armed robbery and assumptions often lead to bad things happening when firearms are involved.

How about detailing more of the situation because as it is, how can anyone give you a good informed answer without making up things to suit their answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:01 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
First things first.

The answer to that question is asking yourself why you carry a concealed firearm in the first place. That answer is is your answer.

Many people carry a concealed firearm and don't ask themselves the question of why beyond the fact they can do it or the standard "self defense" answer. No kidding, of course it is for self defense. Past that though, why do you carry it? Everyone who carries should know that before they step out the door and if they don't, something is missing.

Now to the scenario. If the suspects hand is in his pocket, how do you know the have a firearm or other weapon? You said it becomes obvious you stumbled upon an armed robbery yet you can't see a firearm or other weapon. It could be a strong arm robbery, ok but that is much different than armed robbery.

Everyone has the right to protect life, that isn't even a question. How you do it does however, matter.

In your question one must make a lot of assumptions in order to complete the thought that it is an armed robbery and assumptions often lead to bad things happening when firearms are involved.

How about detailing more of the situation because as it is, how can anyone give you a good informed answer without making up things to suit their answer?
Actually I think the scenario is just fine because it brings into question of what do you do if you just suspect an armed robbery is taking place? No gun or knife means no armed robbery so what do untrained but armed citizens do?
This is just one of the reason I am reluctant to carry.

I am curious how a LEO would handle this situation.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Actually I think the scenario is just fine because it brings into question of what do you do if you just suspect an armed robbery is taking place? No gun or knife means no armed robbery so what do untrained but armed citizens do?
This is just one of the reason I am reluctant to carry.

I am curious how a LEO would handle this situation.
Untrained but armed people are dangerous. Just saying.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:35 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Untrained but armed people are dangerous. Just saying.
No argument here.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
You don't have an obligation to do anything.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:15 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
This is one of those troublesome threads where you are forced to think of the choices you might have to make in the future, as the economy dims and people become more desperate. If you can fathom taking a life 5 minutes after making a decision to stop and pick up milk on the way home, because now you're in a situation you didn't intend to be in. I sometimes carry a unregistered 4" Ruger .357 filled with corbon 132gr jhp's when I go out late or I know I'm going into a unfamiliar area. Expecting trouble? No, but not immune to finding myself in it. The Ruger simply presents an option to use lethal force and allowing me to disappear without leaving ballistic evidence, other than a spent round. If I'm forced to take a life to save myself or an innocent, then I'm NOT sticking around afterwards for the aftermath from the media or LE.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Think of the cost of defending yourself in criminal or civil court...then ask yourself what might be worth that cost.

Most times the answer that will wind up being that only a life is worth risking that cost and potential loss of freedom/rights.

That's MY answer. I will only shoot someone if my life or another is in immediate risk. I will not draw at any time unless I plan on pulling the trigger. If there's room for a standoff there's room for retreat! Let the cops have standoffs...I'll retreat.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:42 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
This is one of those troublesome threads where you are forced to think of the choices you might have to make in the future, as the economy dims and people become more desperate. If you can fathom taking a life 5 minutes after making a decision to stop and pick up milk on the way home, because now you're in a situation you didn't intend to be in. I sometimes carry a unregistered 4" Ruger .357 filled with corbon 132gr jhp's when I go out late or I know I'm going into a unfamiliar area. Expecting trouble? No, but not immune to finding myself in it. The Ruger simply presents an option to use lethal force and allowing me to disappear without leaving ballistic evidence, other than a spent round. If I'm forced to take a life to save myself or an innocent, then I'm NOT sticking around afterwards for the aftermath from the media or LE.
You should contact Mr Finch and see if he needs your services.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:13 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Interesting. The answers (here and other places on the web) are all over the map. Personally, I side with those who say that having a CCL is not synonymous with being deputized as (or defacto) LE. Every situation is different, but unless my or someone else's life - especially the life of a loved, one is in danger, I'm erring on the side of caution. Bad things happen. They happened before I got my CCL and they'll continue to happen after. My reason for getting a CCL was to lower the odds of the bad things happening to me or mine. If that makes me weak or selfish, so be it. As someone else pointed out, too many bad things can happen when well meaning, but untrained (or under trained) people take matters into their own hands.

Last edited by dmills; 03-23-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You should contact Mr Finch and see if he needs your services.
I caught your drift, and NO you're not funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting