Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,576,360 times

Advertisements

Congratulations! You picked a good gun for your introduction to handgunning.

Now, let me give you a bit of advice. .22 handguns often have distinct preferences in ammo. Therefore, I suggest that you try as many different as you can find to start. Since you have an auto your first concern is reliability; find the stuff that feeds. Then learn what's most accurate in your gun. This takes a while unless you have an expensive machine rest. Don't worry so much about reliability for the first couple hundred rounds. Those first cartridges will to a great extent remove little burrs as they move through the gun and as you manipulate the gun.

Next, do not dry fire any rimfire. The firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber and eventually damage it. Some people use a fired case and keep turning it to solve the problem. You can also buy snap caps as I do. You can pull the slide back just a little to recock without ejecting the case.

Finally, go have some fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Rimfire...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,971,684 times
I have replaced the spring assembly with the Brass stacker captured spring. Makes it much easier to reassemble my p22. Its only 25 delivered. You can buy them for the sr22 also

Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,359,521 times
Congrats I bought the same one recently, well not purple but the same gun. So far I like it.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,315,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
"Private" and "dealer" are mutually exclusive terms when discussing gun sales - there's no such thing as a "private dealer."

If it was a private seller, the rules are different than if it was a federally licensed firearms dealer. I don't know what the laws are like in Virginia, but here in Nevada, there is no obligation for a private seller to run a background check or transfer a firearm through a licensed dealer. Virginia may be basically the same.

Note that this has nothing to do with gun shows. The term "gun show loophole" was made up by anti-gun types to try and further their agenda. The same seller could have placed a classified ad in the local paper, or he could have stood on the side of the road with a sandwich board over his torso, and all the same laws would apply. A gun show is just a convenient venue.

Was this form one of the papers you filled out?
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/downl...f-f-4473-1.pdf
Yes that is one of the forms. I have no idea what he should be called and I am not for or against gun shows. My main thing is how easy it is for any person to get a gun at a venue like this without any type of background check or even waiting period.

I am obviously not an anti-gun person, so lets not go down that road. I don't know what Virginia laws are, either.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,315,079 times
Too bad I don't live out in the country anymore........

Old 03-23-2014, 12:48 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,211,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
"Private" and "dealer" are mutually exclusive terms when discussing gun sales - there's no such thing as a "private dealer."

If it was a private seller, the rules are different than if it was a federally licensed firearms dealer. I don't know what the laws are like in Virginia, but here in Nevada, there is no obligation for a private seller to run a background check or transfer a firearm through a licensed dealer. Virginia may be basically the same.

Note that this has nothing to do with gun shows. The term "gun show loophole" was made up by anti-gun types to try and further their agenda. The same seller could have placed a classified ad in the local paper, or he could have stood on the side of the road with a sandwich board over his torso, and all the same laws would apply. A gun show is just a convenient venue.

Was this form one of the papers you filled out?
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/downl...f-f-4473-1.pdf
There is one minor distinction to point out, I to live in Virginia, but the difference is there can be a FFL dealer and a private sale from the same person. If the dealer bought a weapon and did not use their FFL number to record it, then it is out of their private stock, and selling that type of weapon would not require a background check. I have been to so some gun shows, and at a licensed FFL dealer, and they would indicate 2 or 3 of the purchases would not have to pay any sales tax since it was from their private stock, where others would be the normal background check, and applicable sales tax.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM

30,235 posts, read 23,684,601 times
Congratulations! Happy shooting.

I've always wanted to get one with a Hello Kitty emblem on it. They can all laugh at me at the range all they want...they'll stop when they see my nice, tight grouping.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 PM

501 posts, read 1,048,732 times
Use high velocity ammo, or there is a higher change of malfunctions.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,879,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have had rifles in the past but today I f\got my first handgun. My SO and I decided the .22 would be fine for what we do.

I do think what bothered me more was holding up my arms for so long and that the 9mm would have been just fine, but I don't really need it.

Got the Ruger SR22.

Congrats on the purchase! I think you're going to enjoy the SR22.... It's a great little gun!

Old 03-23-2014, 02:32 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,879,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Congratulations! You picked a good gun for your introduction to handgunning.

Now, let me give you a bit of advice. .22 handguns often have distinct preferences in ammo. Therefore, I suggest that you try as many different as you can find to start. Since you have an auto your first concern is reliability; find the stuff that feeds. Then learn what's most accurate in your gun. This takes a while unless you have an expensive machine rest. Don't worry so much about reliability for the first couple hundred rounds. Those first cartridges will to a great extent remove little burrs as they move through the gun and as you manipulate the gun.
The SR22 prides itself as being one of the few semi-auto's that will feed anything In my experience, it's true. Have never had a problem with mine.

Quote:
Next, do not dry fire any rimfire. The firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber and eventually damage it. Some people use a fired case and keep turning it to solve the problem. You can also buy snap caps as I do. You can pull the slide back just a little to recock without ejecting the case.
According to the SR22 Users Manual, dry firing is perfectly acceptable and will not damage the gun. Of course, just as a matter of good practice, I rarely dry fire mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting