Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,091,744 times

Advertisements

I'm a newbie, so forgive the dumb question. I previously bought some Lawmans 124 gr FMJ ammo. Today I ran across Lellier & Bellot 115 gr FMJ ammo. What is the difference, besides the L&B being cheaper? I'm planning to use it for range practice. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,237,854 times
Both would be good for practice. 124 and 115 refer to the weight of the projectiles, so if all things are equal with the loading, the 124 might kick/recoil a little more but otherwise there should not be much difference for your purpose.

Also I think you mean S&B Sellier & Bellot, I have shot thousands of those rounds and never had a problem with any. If I remember correctly S&B is a Czech company and Lawman is made by Speer which was a US company.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:29 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,206,190 times
What Lee said. Use whichever Full Metal Jacket practice ammo is cheapest that still reliably works in your gun. Assuming this is a defense weapon, and you said you are a newbie, you aren't trying for pin-point accuracy. You're working on achieving "minute of bad guy" groups and learning muscle memory for different activities like racking the slide, recovering from the shot recoil, and reloading.

For the bullets you actually use for defense, however, don't go cheap. Go with something like Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Remington Golden Saber, or anything hollow point by Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore. If your gun is rated for it you might even go for +P (over-pressure) ammunition.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:56 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,958,335 times
For range practice, nothing really, but like Mr. Lee said, the 124's may have a bit more recoil, but then, I've shot some pretty hot 115gr FMJ, too. If your pistol runs it, use whatever.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM

215 posts, read 349,594 times
You should also consider that using 115gr may not be powerful enough for the slide to do its job. You should be okay. It is something that can cause problems with pistols that have short, tight recoil springs.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,898,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
What Lee said. Use whichever Full Metal Jacket practice ammo is cheapest that still reliably works in your gun. Assuming this is a defense weapon, and you said you are a newbie, you aren't trying for pin-point accuracy. You're working on achieving "minute of bad guy" groups and learning muscle memory for different activities like racking the slide, recovering from the shot recoil, and reloading.

For the bullets you actually use for defense, however, don't go cheap. Go with something like Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Remington Golden Saber, or anything hollow point by Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore. If your gun is rated for it you might even go for +P (over-pressure) ammunition.
Agreed with the caveat that you do want to test whatever you use for self-defense to make sure that it and your firearm get along.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 PM

26 posts, read 30,960 times
124 grain are always more accurate out of 4"+ barrels...ALWAYS!

115 grain seem to work better in - 4" barrels.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:59 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,091,744 times
Thanks all for the education! I bought the last five boxes can never have enough ammo.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,237,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Thanks all for the education! I bought the last five boxes can never have enough ammo.
Agreed, I own ammo cans full of 9mm and 22Lr and also have plenty of other cal's that I shoot or carry.

As others have already written, use quality ammo for self defense and I will go one further, test your weapon with plenty of rounds of the ammo you carry in it for self defense. I have seen all too often a person shoots tons of ball ammo at the range and gets pretty good with it, only to load up with hollow point ammo they have never tested in their carry guns. While most quality modern firearms will digest just about any ammo, some other guns can be fussy and will jam with certain types of projectile configurations and bullet weights.

I never carry any handgun or self defense rifle that I have not run at a minimum of 100 rounds of the ammo that I carry in it.

Enjoy your shooting and since you are just starting out, a good way is to buy 3 boxes for every 2 you shoot until you have a nice backup stash.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,403,885 times
I have used Russian import ammo for target work, have some ammo designed to expand for defense in the pistol as a matter of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting