Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Shouldering a Handgun with a Sig SB15 Brace - YouTube

I saw this contraption in a gun mag and immediately dismissed it as a useless gimmick. Who is going to have time to wrap a Velcro strap around his/her forearm in a self-defense situation, I thought. But it turns out that that is not necessary under the law. Due to BATF ruling, this is basically an SBR with no annoying paperwork.

My friend told me that he had built an AR pistol w/ arm brace, and that it was his ATF (all time favorite) AR. He can legally carry it in his vehicle, even carry it concealed under a coat if he wants.

It is undoubtedly clever, but is it practical? You're losing a lot of velocity with a 10 inch barrel in .223, and it's still not really a substitute for a handgun. Who is going to carry it under a parka? Walter Mitty? If you're going to carry such a thing, why not have a real rifle with a 16, 18, or even 20 inch barrel?

What's your assessment? Gimmick or game-changer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 06:30 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times
I want one for my Draco, but I want it to also fold for concealability (hey, it's still a pistol!)

Old 01-24-2015, 09:21 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATFE
The pistol stabilizing brace was neither “designed” nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock, and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a “redesign” of the device because a possessor has changed the very function of the item. Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked.

Any person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol (having a rifled barrel under 16 inches in length or a smooth bore firearm with a barrel under 18 inches in length) must first file an ATF Form 1 and pay the applicable tax because the resulting firearm will be subject to all provisions of the NFA.
https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi...ing_braces.pdf

Be careful out there.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:42 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Further proof the BATFE rules are as crazy as that 7 round limit in a magazine joke in New York.

They'll probably have drones watching AR pistol shooters everywhere one of these days.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
I bought one on a lark, and was putting a parts order together to build it....then looked again. The buffer tube takes up a lot of territory on the back side - almost as much as a buttstock. The shortened barrel is of interest, but the buffer tube just sticks out like a sore thumb - so I've opted to put in the paperwork on a SBR instead, and will mount the suppressor on it as well. I'm not so foolish as to think that it's going to serve any practical application for me, it's just something that would be interesting at the range.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
There was an earlier ruling that a Sig-brace (or those short-stock mini-rifles) were completely legal. But then they reversed their earlier position.

You won't have to worry about ATF drones patrolling around gun clubs. What you have to worry about is someone posting a picture to Facebook or Instagram with your Sig-brace shouldered. According to ATF rules, as soon as you shoulder that weapon it instantly becomes a SBR instead of a pistol. And once a rifle, always a rifle, so that rifle is illegal forever unless you get it registered and pay the tax.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
I have an SBR, so I have no need of it, but I have a friend who tried one, and he said that until he actually used it, he thought it was a stupid gimmick, but after using it, he was impressed and dubbed it genuinely functional. I still have no desire for one, personally, but for those who can't own SBR's or who are disabled (who it was made for...), it seems legit.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Arm brace really helps to steady a larger heavier pistol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting