Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 AM

195 posts, read 186,327 times

Advertisements

IF the bullet gives adequate penetration and if you can get 4 or more hits per second (ie, .25 second repeat hits on the chest, at 5 yds) such a .40 bullet is a great choice. I am not familiar with this load, but the .40, in it's lighter bullet loadings, is a pretty good choice in a pocket gun. In a full=sized belt gun, you can do better,with the 10mm or .460 Rowland. With those calibers, too, for defense, the best choice is the lightest bullet, at the highest speed, as long as you get at least 8" of penetration in actual flesh and blood targets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 AM

plenty of rifle soft or hp experience on game, however, shows that at about twice the speed of sound, 2200 fps, the temporary gas cavity actually DOES have the ability to damage fragile organ tissue (lungs, liver spleen, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, kidney) beyond what is actually crushed or torn by contact with the bullet. Actual live target testing also proves that the 2 full length segments of the Split Nose HP, at 2200 fps, really tear up a lot more tissue, and create a lot more shock than any single bullet load.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:39 AM

As the 2 segments yaw and diverge, the MachII+ temporary cavity causes the tissue in between the 2 segments to be severely damaged, until the segments are 2" or more apart. A 2.5" x 3/4" (or so) wound channel in you is pretty hard to just ignore! :-)

Old 03-10-2015, 07:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I generally carry a S&W, airweight, hammerless .38 +P snubby pocket revolver loaded with Hornady CD ammunition. Sometimes it's a Walther PPS 9mm also loaded with Hornady CDs. My wife has a Walther PK.380 and in the house I like my old S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece in .38 Special with frangible ammunition. It's a model I first shot at about age 8 and carried in the military in the 60s and 70s because I didn't have confidence in the 1911. It's my comfort weapon.

The bottom line is that what to carry is a very personal issue, what you're comfortable with, trust and prefer. Everyone has their own preferences.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 AM

yeah, but only rarely are those "preferences" based upon actual flesh and blood tests, along with comparison hit times with people using a very easy to hit with, very easy to obtain .22 or .25 auto. That's how fast you have to be, and a lot of guns and loads, in lot of hands, aint that fast, and when you hit animals with them, the jhp doesn't expand and they don't have much power. 250 ft lbs that doesn't expand (ie, wastes 1/3rd of its power on overpenetration) and 500 ft lbs that really does what it should do, in 8-10" of flesh and blood, really do show differences in % of effectiveness, on live targets.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I just carry my 40sw with 65g FTXs. It's a compromise between mass and velocity that this round produce over 500 pounds of energy.
Whoops, make that 165g.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
My real favorite, and it really shoots. Move over, Duck Dynasty!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:42 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My real favorite, and it really shoots. Move over, Duck Dynasty!
That should be quite effective on giant sized black bears.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:46 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,309 times
How about a 4 gauge shotgun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJouw9uh84

Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
yeah, but only rarely are those "preferences" based upon actual flesh and blood tests, along with comparison hit times with people using a very easy to hit with, very easy to obtain .22 or .25 auto. That's how fast you have to be, and a lot of guns and loads, in lot of hands, aint that fast, and when you hit animals with them, the jhp doesn't expand and they don't have much power. 250 ft lbs that doesn't expand (ie, wastes 1/3rd of its power on overpenetration) and 500 ft lbs that really does what it should do, in 8-10" of flesh and blood, really do show differences in % of effectiveness, on live targets.
I consider people the ultimate test. That is where I have derived my opinions from. Lots of GSW's involving dead/wounded people. Since I don't shoot people for a living, I go to those who compile said statistics. That would be Dr. Roberts, on a personal level, and the FBI (which I do not have personal access to, but who does publish their findings), on an institutional level.

Interestingly, Dr Roberts study of OIS's indicates that the 147gr 9mm JHP is just as efficient at ending aggressive action as the 125gr 357 JHP fro ma 4" revolver (what the department he based this off of, over the course of years, issued prior to the 9mm loading).

We see the same thing with the FBI. They are transitioning back to the 9mm.

With a handgun, it's the hits in the vitals that count, and so-longer as penetration is adequate, caliber and velocity are much less a concern.

There aren't any real performers that work very well in the 1800fps+ arena regarding handguns. It's all gimmick stuff like the Glaser, Magsafe, etc. which can "blow up" and cause superficial wounds on some individuals. Reference the shooting that killed officer Coates, after he shot his assailant 5x COM with his 125gr JHP 357 Magnum at near point-blank range (assailant lived with no real deficits after receiving medical care). THe rounds failed to penetrate far enough, and the assailant returned fire with a .22 derringer. Killing the officer (it struck him in the area under the sleeve of his vest, from the side, perforating his brachial artery, as I understand).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting