Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 12:40 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

What state has a good hunting tourism/game ranch industry, and state regulations that support it?

A state like Texas is a good example. There are lots of game ranches, and is easy for out of staters to come in and patronize. Not much red tape even if you dont have gun license or hunting license. Texas even has some game ranches that import animals from other continents for you to hunt.

What other states are like that? I want to hunt feral hog, but I dont mind deer. I like deer meat more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 06:33 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Try to meet up with locals in Hawaii for some federal hog fun.

You don't need a game ranch to bag those invasive dangerous pests. Those jokers are everywhere.

Should be really easy to find.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Most all Western states, outside of California, have good game management and hunting programs. Idaho and Oregon are pretty high on the list.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:58 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Game ranches are breeding grounds for chronic wasting disease. It's no coincidence many of the western states have major problems with chronic wasting (CO and WY are especially bad).

Old 12-03-2019, 07:09 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Hawaii for hogs, NJ for deer. Generous long season (into February?).
In NY, some counties like westchester have unlimited Doe tags. Take all you want. No need for a ranch here.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:00 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Game ranches are breeding grounds for chronic wasting disease. It's no coincidence many of the western states have major problems with chronic wasting (CO and WY are especially bad).
It's in Montana too. The muley I took was in a CWD zone. I took it to Fish and Game to have them test for CWD. While there the biologist I spoke with suspects our incidence (up in north MT) came from Canada.

Right now the rate of incidence is 3% or lower. They said if the sampling rates hit 5% they'll be freaking out. They just discovered a positive elk last month too.

While I can't speak for Montana hunting tourism- I do know it's big money. As compared to other states I don't know.

I do know this- where I was hunting there must've been a joint operation between the CA and WA National guard- cause I saw an incredible number of out of state trucks and hunters on the northern border. The were mainly hunting public BLM which is fine, but what struck me was seeing all these guys harvest TINY bucks and a bunch of does.. One guy had a 4x4 muley with no more than a 9" spread and he was getting it mounted!

Man- these folks spend $600 just for the out of state big game deer tag, all that $$ on fuel, food etc and take a tiny buck that hasn't even bred yet.. Blows my mind..

If that's the kind of 'tourism' we're going to get, well wow....

Old 12-03-2019, 10:26 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Surprisingly, California has decent game ranches N of LA and near Sacramento. There are good sized bucks up there too.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 12-03-2019 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Surprisingly, California has decent game ranches N of LA and near Sacramento. There are good sized bucks up there too.
Are you talking about Tejon Ranch? They only offer fowl hunting.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:00 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Try to meet up with locals in Hawaii for some federal hog fun.

You don't need a game ranch to bag those invasive dangerous pests. Those jokers are everywhere.

Should be really easy to find.
Not sure the problem with Texas hunts, they have the hog thing all wrapped up in a bow (bad pun) for weekend warriors like me. It seems that way; will have a fuller report by next summer if I can carry it through.

Cost seems low, and you bunk in a bunkhouse a couple days and take dinner at the ranch. So, I don't care if it's cornbread, black beans and rice a couple days. At worst. I'm sure there's bacon in there too, in every sense of the phrase!

Check your weapons at the airline. I have Pelikan-like travel cases for a handgun and rifle, paperwork is easy enough and you'll pay fees for extra bags, but so what. Ammo stays at the ranch, bought there or shipped by you which is easy.

Take couple three days, with night and day hunts from blinds mostly so they don't have guests wandering the place at night, and negligent shootings. I see most require hunter orange which is probably for the ranch's safety (and your own) vs. state law...but who knows.

If it's your land you can destroy hogs using most any method you want, but controlled hunts they keep it humane I'm virtually sure with certain requirements of the weapons used. Wow, that seems fair enough to me. While not really a "hunt" per se, an arguable point, humane destruction seems the decent thing.

In short, it should be a NON hard-core dip into the water, and maybe (wild guess) $< 1,000 for 3-5 days of hog hunts w/ranch guides. I probably get a dressed hog out of it, too, in some cases. So what? Problem solved.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
You can hunt in PA and as far as I know a non resident hunting license gives you access to the millions of acres of game lands controlled by the PA Game Commission. Don't expect to be shooting fish in a barrel, you actually need to hunt. Crazy, I know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting