Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 07:04 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My tendency is to avoid places that require a RSO to begin with. However I have that luxury as I’m literally surrounded by 1mm acres of USFS.

I like the range on MacPass. Often I’m the only one at the 200-400 range, so I can put out a flag and jump in the golf cart and go down range at will. However I just don’t use it all that often. I have too many better options. I generally only go there if it’s snotty out and I want a covered range.

I am going to a range in Townsend MT that has long range capabilities out to and I believe past 1,000 yards
Lucky you. I bought a LRR before I retired with the idea of trying some 1,000 yd and maybe beyond. It was an impulse buy, rare for me, and probably a mistake in retrospect because I’ve found there is no where local to stretch it out. Everything I’ve found involves a day trip at least and probably entering a match. I’ve shot competition before, not interested. I just wanted someplace to enjoy it on my own. I should have done my due diligence. In MT, you can probably just step off your porch, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 10:51 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Lucky you. I bought a LRR before I retired with the idea of trying some 1,000 yd and maybe beyond. It was an impulse buy, rare for me, and probably a mistake in retrospect because I’ve found there is no where local to stretch it out. Everything I’ve found involves a day trip at least and probably entering a match. I’ve shot competition before, not interested. I just wanted someplace to enjoy it on my own. I should have done my due diligence. In MT, you can probably just step off your porch, LOL.
When I lived outside of Harpers Ferry/Martinsburg I would trek over to Sleepy Creek WMA when they had an open (non-supervised) range. However that place got REALLY unsafe really quickly when the 'black gun' craze hit hard. DNR shut it down and turned it into shotgun only..

Quote:
The public shooting range at Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area (WMA) in Berkeley County will reopen for the use of shotguns only beginning June 29, 2009. Last month, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR) had to temporarily close the rifle range on Sleepy Creek WMA because of a safety problem involving bullets intermittently hitting a home approximately ¼-mile down range.

The DNR determined certain individuals were illegally placing targets on top of the bunkers instead of in front of them. In addition, some shooters were engaged in the rapid firing of semiautomatic rifles, which resulted in the rifle muzzles rising over a safe line of sight toward the bunkers. These unsafe and illegal actions created a downrange hazard and are direct violations of the posted range rules. Other safety violations were discovered, including indiscriminate firing, failure to control muzzle direction, shooting from non-designated areas on the range, shooting after range hours, etc.
Public Shooting Range on Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area to Reopen June 29 with Restricted Use

The alternative (for me and my friends) was to simply pack up for a camping trip and head off to GW National Forest. We'd go via Wardensville or Mathias- we had a little spot you had to hike in about 5 miles to a creek bottom. We'd set up targets on one side of the hill, cross the creek and shoot from the other side. We never shot past 400 yards back then but you could easily make a 1,000 yard lane.

I also had a buddy that owned property near Bloomery/Great Cacapon and we would set up targets on the transmission line ROW's and have fun.

But here, where I live now- yes I am lucky. However idiots abound as well. In fact this summer me and my family had to evacuate our home because a dingleberry thought it would be a GREAT idea to go onto BLM land and shoot reactive targets during the driest and hottest part of July.

https://helenair.com/news/local/susp...2a69a72ee.html

So now there is an upcoming public meeting with BLM and I'm quite sure there is going to be a push to shut down public access to the areas known as North Hills as yet another result of utter STUPIDITY.

Last edited by Threerun; 12-23-2019 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 11:54 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post

In some places, yes. In fact, I can go out on the deck on the rear of the house and shoot at the irrigation ditch bank without bothering the neighbors at all. In fact, my neighbor to the East fires his hunting rifle(s) for sighting in at 100 yards several times a year. Another neighbor to the North fires his in his front yard fairly often.
That is why (one of the reasons, anyway) we bought this place about 20 years ago.
However, my skills have deteriorated over the years. 50 or 60 years ago I could shoot the bottom out of a pop bottle shooting at the opening. Now, I would be lucky to do it with a wide mouth Mason jar!

Old 04-16-2021, 11:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I have a foreigner friend coming to America for visit. He is amused by the guns since it's not legal where he is.

He will be visiting SF, Alaska, and NYC.
NYC does not have ranges that rent guns. Alaska will most likely.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:03 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,221,791 times
Quote:
I have a foreigner friend coming to America for visit. He is amused by the guns since it's not legal where he is.

Look them up and give them a call some of the ones I go to do but I'm in Texas.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:

You guys should visit Las Vegas. They have FULLY AUTOMATIC machine guns for rent.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:57 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You guys should visit Las Vegas. They have FULLY AUTOMATIC machine guns for rent.
Yeah, right across the border in Arizona. You can rent an Uzi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Charles_Vacca

Old 03-19-2023, 10:31 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post

In Cody, WY you can visit Cody Firearms Experience and shoot a fully automatic firearm on their indoor range.
Come to think of it, it has been a couple of years since I did that; maybe they still exist, I don't know.
If they are, I want to shoot the 1862 Gatling gun again. That was FUN!!
Maybe I will visit Cody this summer..

EDIT: Come to think of it, there is an indoor range here in
Billings that has sub-machine guns available to rent. I think they are still open...

Old 03-19-2023, 11:08 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Ranges in my area, southern Missouri, are mostly outdoor ranges and are not even manned.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:57 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post

Renting/shooting an Uzi is a waste of bullets and money, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting