Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 11:54 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,804,054 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to check the long guns like AK-47, shotguns, bolt actions, or M-16s etc, etc are chambered without expelling the round if in there?

On pistols, you can pull the slide back just a little. Can you do that with long guns? How do you check the shotguns? I guess it depends on the gun too.

I have shot long guns before, but never had the need/chance to actually do that kind of check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 12:06 AM

10,464 posts, read 5,551,983 times
You can (and should) check the chamber on any gun.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You can (and should) check the chamber on any gun.
The way I do is bring bolt all the way back but ejects round. I never "half ****" it. Is that how normally done in order to save round?

Old 12-31-2019, 04:08 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,247,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The way I do is bring bolt all the way back but ejects round. I never "half ****" it. Is that how normally done in order to save round?
Why not?

Pull back the charging handle just enough to see brass, or empty space through the ejection port. Some handguns and rifles have cartridge indicators too, that tell you if there's a cartridge in the chamber, but never rely on them to check for an empty chamber.

It exactly the same principle as with a handgun you yourself describe using.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:36 PM

17,140 posts, read 56,846,882 times
Depends on action type, easiest of all are break-opens, where you just break it open and the round or empty chamber is staring right at you. Most lever, bolt, pump, other manually operated repeaters you just unlock the action and sneak the bolt back enough to see, but not enough to eject the round if it's there. Autoloaders are the most difficult, you have to pull against spring pressure, but the principle is the same.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Why not?

Pull back the charging handle just enough to see brass, or empty space through the ejection port. Some handguns and rifles have cartridge indicators too, that tell you if there's a cartridge in the chamber, but never rely on them to check for an empty chamber.

It exactly the same principle as with a handgun you yourself describe using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Depends on action type, easiest of all are break-opens, where you just break it open and the round or empty chamber is staring right at you. Most lever, bolt, pump, other manually operated repeaters you just unlock the action and sneak the bolt back enough to see, but not enough to eject the round if it's there. Autoloaders are the most difficult, you have to pull against spring pressure, but the principle is the same.
ok great. I live in NYC so dont have access to gun to try myself. I check on internet/youtube but none of the methods keeps round in chamber.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
ok great. I live in NYC so dont have access to gun to try myself. I check on internet/youtube but none of the methods keeps round in chamber.
You must not have looked hard.

Its formally known as a press check...

https://youtu.be/Zl4i7CvUu7Q
https://youtu.be/3jvScb_M2l4

Old 12-31-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You must not have looked hard.

Its formally known as a press check...

https://youtu.be/Zl4i7CvUu7Q
https://youtu.be/3jvScb_M2l4
Incidentally IIRC both also cover the crossover check for double stacks by dropping the magazine and checking the top round is now on the other side (meaning the former top round is in the chamber, unless it vanished into thin air).

Old 01-01-2020, 07:49 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,144,006 times
Default Black powder method

On a muzzleloader it is difficult to discern. Put in the ramrod and see how far it drops. If only a half inch is showing, then the gun is empty. Otherwise, you probably have a charge in the barrel.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:21 PM

17,140 posts, read 56,846,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
On a muzzleloader it is difficult to discern. Put in the ramrod and see how far it drops. If only a half inch is showing, then the gun is empty. Otherwise, you probably have a charge in the barrel.

Well, if it's your own personal weapon, you can try the ramrod on an empty barrel/chamber and see where it ends up, maybe mark it if you are that worried about it.

A note - if you find an old muzzle loader, I am thinking most of them have been found already, but if you somehow lay hands on a really old one - while according to Rule One all guns are always loaded anyway, you have every reason it's loaded and "on standby" for whatever shooting task might come up suddenly - while competitive shooters can do better, I would figure at least a minute to load a muzzleloader, and for a gun "on standby" that's way too long. So you can bet great-great grandpa put that thing away loaded when he put it away for the last time, years ago.

Rule One: All guns are always loaded. (Only when you have just unloaded it yourself or checked it unloaded can you have any confidence it is not loaded. Put it on the table and turn away, it's loaded again. )

Rule Two: Never point a gun at anything or anyone you are unwilling to destroy.
Rule Three: Keep your finger outside of the trigger guard till the sights are on target.
Rule Four: Be certain of your target and the backstop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting