Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 09:17 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I would’ve strapped it to the roof and brought it home, lol. Ours is the place for wayward IH things, lol.
I'm surprised that you can get parts for those? I own, collect and have restored pre-war cars for the greater part of my life but I've never heard of people collecting and restoring old refrigerators? At any rate that's pretty cool if you don't mind the pun. All of that stuff is part of our history and needs to be preserved. They come from a time when damn near everything was made in the U.S.A.

But I doubt that I'll be hauling that out of the desert anytime soon. It was at least a mile or more hike from where I parked my truck in some pretty rugged terrain. It was at least from the outside in surprisingly good shape. But then again nothing rusts out there. But judging by its condition it probably wasn't out there for that long. But who knows? It was just kind of a shock to stumble upon something like that in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:55 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I'm surprised that you can get parts for those? I own, collect and have restored pre-war cars for the greater part of my life but I've never heard of people collecting and restoring old refrigerators? At any rate that's pretty cool if you don't mind the pun. All of that stuff is part of our history and needs to be preserved. They come from a time when damn near everything was made in the U.S.A.

But I doubt that I'll be hauling that out of the desert anytime soon. It was at least a mile or more hike from where I parked my truck in some pretty rugged terrain. It was at least from the outside in surprisingly good shape. But then again nothing rusts out there. But judging by its condition it probably wasn't out there for that long. But who knows? It was just kind of a shock to stumble upon something like that in the middle of nowhere.
Well all of mine are on the original compressors with original coolant. Keep the condenser area clean and oiled. They are very robust. The condensers can use mineral oil in a pinch. You can find door seals and general hardware items anywhere. Lights are still available etc.. I have 3 IH fridges in total- they all work. They are so simple that if my pride and joy fails I can simply remove the compressor and lines in one shot and replace it with another in good working order- maybe half a day. If I had to - you can retrofit modern compressors to run the unit. It's not that hard.

Modern refrigeration relies on high pressure/speed condensers with the crappy refrigerant, thus they tend to simply burn out. The old pancake compressors are low speed/low pressure with R-12. You can hear the refrigerant flow through the lines.

Ironically, my old IH fridge draws waaaaay less current than my 5 year old Whirlpool fridge. Granted the Whirlpool is larger, but the difference is amazing. We are remodeling our kitchen and I am putting the IH fridge in there as well as a late 1940's Wedgewood 6 burner stove. The two burners on the left side are a wood stove, the 4 on the right gas. I have two of those.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:55 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think California is the only place I have heard of that has bad shortages. They already made ammo purchases a PIA. All my Ca friends are extremely well stocked and haven't set foot in a gun store in years. We do go to gun shows for fun and socializing, but buy little except for little odds and ends. I bought a set of tweezers with a magnifying glass on the end of it.
Things are pretty insane in Austin. Was at Academy yesterday and most remotely common calibers were gone (ball and hp). What's even more odd is that, unlike the Obama fueled runs, it's not just ammo and AR's, it's ALL firearms. They only had two non-.22 pistols left in their display counter and the majority of the rifles were also gone, mainly just some Yildz shotguns and small .22 kids rifles left.

I don't know what kind of apocalypse folks are expecting, but by these reactions, the zombies must be right around the corner.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Well all of mine are on the original compressors with original coolant. Keep the condenser area clean and oiled. They are very robust. The condensers can use mineral oil in a pinch. You can find door seals and general hardware items anywhere. Lights are still available etc.. I have 3 IH fridges in total- they all work. They are so simple that if my pride and joy fails I can simply remove the compressor and lines in one shot and replace it with another in good working order- maybe half a day. If I had to - you can retrofit modern compressors to run the unit. It's not that hard.

Modern refrigeration relies on high pressure/speed condensers with the crappy refrigerant, thus they tend to simply burn out. The old pancake compressors are low speed/low pressure with R-12. You can hear the refrigerant flow through the lines.

Ironically, my old IH fridge draws waaaaay less current than my 5 year old Whirlpool fridge. Granted the Whirlpool is larger, but the difference is amazing. We are remodeling our kitchen and I am putting the IH fridge in there as well as a late 1940's Wedgewood 6 burner stove. The two burners on the left side are a wood stove, the 4 on the right gas. I have two of those.
I love it! They certainly don't make things like they used to. My wife and I love all the old stuff. If I could afford it I'd have one of those old Victorian homes with a big old carriage house converted to a garage for my cars and truck. Our house was built in the late 1970's and it's got a nice size garage but it's nothing like those old homes. Back then everything had character and design even the old appliances. We do have an old wooden ice box though, the equivalent of a modern refrigerator before there was electricity.

Yeah I guess with a little ingenuity you could retrofit an old refrigerator with modern equipment. I built one street rod, so I know where your coming from. Sorry I sold it, I've still got two other antique cars that I've restored to original condition. They both have there original drivetrains and 6 volt electrical systems. Of course I had to rebuild them all. For all intents and purposes they are new cars. One of my friends was giving me the business of how he couldn't stand those old flathead engines of the 30's and 6 volt electrical systems.

I was like yeah, yeah I know they're not as fast or efficient, they crank over slower and the lights are not as bright as a modern car. But they do start up and run, they don't accelerate as fast but I can still get them up and cruise at highway speed except on the interstates where the speed limit is 75. That's pushing it. But how often do I do that? I can cruise all day at 55 to 60mph and I don't need thousands of dollars worth of diagnostic equipment to find what's wrong to fix them. I'd still like to have my old street rod back, but I've become more interested in preserving the cars historical value. I've been to a lot of car shows where people have thanked me for not rodding out those old cars.

Had I kept the street rod I had plans of making what they call a resto-rod. I'd put the original style interior back in, change out the Cragar's for original style wheels and hub caps but leave the 350/370 Chevy engine, 4 speed Muncie and posi drivetrain intact. I'd want the car to look just like when it left the factory in 1940 except for when you opened the hood.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Things are pretty insane in Austin. Was at Academy yesterday and most remotely common calibers were gone (ball and hp). What's even more odd is that, unlike the Obama fueled runs, it's not just ammo and AR's, it's ALL firearms. They only had two non-.22 pistols left in their display counter and the majority of the rifles were also gone, mainly just some Yildz shotguns and small .22 kids rifles left.

I don't know what kind of apocalypse folks are expecting, but by these reactions, the zombies must be right around the corner.
Same here where I am in Arizona. Although I haven't been to any of the gun stores lately. I did call one of my favorite stores to order a coupla' magazines. I bought a Wilson Combat grip frame for a Sig P320. "forty". Little did I know that it would not work with the 12 round magazines only the 14 round. My friend who is the manager gave me the low down. Fortunately for me he had no problems getting me the 14 round 40's that I wanted. 9mm and .45 magazines forget about it. He said that there was very little ammo left. No .223/5.56 at all. As a gun enthusiast I'm well stocked to begin with. So it's had no affect on me.

According to him a lot of them were first time buyers unfamiliar with the NICS system and filling out Form 4473. I guess some people are now going to understand how important the 2nd Amendment is? Hopefully they will vote accordingly. No, I don't foresee any apocalypse on the horizon. This country's survived a lot worse. I'm optimistic that this will be over in the foreseeable future. I went out grocery shopping and the shelves are starting to be re-stocked although they've placed limits on some items. Last week they were practically cleaned out of non-perishables and paper products.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:08 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I was told, chicken is $10 a pound at Freddies. Chicken. Oyts!

Old 03-31-2020, 01:10 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
We will never learn. This and toilet paper.
OK I understand hand sanitizer, but I am a bit puzzled how hoarding ammo will deal with the cornovirus?

Non compliant physical distancing - when there is space available - of course....

Oh and everyone armed and ready means the unruly, looters, lawless et al. are orderly or go elsewhere. Recall the Korean owned establishments in L.A. during early 90s Rodney King riots.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:12 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
1953 still going strong
I would clean it out and get it to the Simthsonian ASAP, you’re probably sitting on a small fortune!

Old 04-02-2020, 08:33 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Oh and everyone armed and ready means the unruly, looters, lawless et al. are orderly or go elsewhere. Recall the Korean owned establishments in L.A. during early 90s Rodney King riots.
I imagine that things could get unruly at retail food establishments. But it is not those folks who are buying guns -- it is more of the survivalist fringe. I cannot think of an instance where looters attacked occupied dwellings.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:09 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Home invasion is always a threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting