Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Do you conceal carry holsters or wear proper apparel for going on a jog, or exercising at the gym, or even playing a team sport? If so, what do you wear?

I was watching some vids on YT, and this scene from The Sopranos popped up. Its from first season. Mikey Palmice who is an antagonist goes out for a jog. Only to have Moltisanti, and I think Pauly Walnuts drive up and start shooting, chasing then killing Palmice.

I thought to myself how silly it be for some gangbangers to go outside so vulnerable. But then realized how difficult it be to carry a weapon concealed in that situation. You can carry along a backpack, and hide a gun there, but deploying will be slow, and if get ambushed likely not be fast enough.

If there is a civilian market for conceal carry for normal everyday activities, there must be one for working out too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ER2osCFwWE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 08:05 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Well, it depends on what you want to carry, and how hot it is where you will jog or work out. A butt pack works, of course, worn with it around front. I have one with a snap opening to the big pocket where the gat will presumably be. That said, those in the know will recognize a butt pack, like a photographer's vest, as a very likely sign you are packing heat.

Concealment, particularly if one is scantily clad, and speed of draw are kind of in constant tension.

The smaller the gat, the easier it is to conceal, but the harder it is to shoot accurately, and likely as not, that miniature gat will be a 380 or smaller, not exactly Thor's hammer. The short barrel will not make full use of the limited power of the round, and a short sight radius will militate against precision placement of the shot.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
I havent tried one but have seen vids showing the belly band option that looks like it could work well for outdoor active use.
I’ve also read for those who wear gym shorts, that putting on a standard carry belt and holster against your body and then pulling on shorts can work.
Personally if I were to try anything it would be a belly band.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:44 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
In an environment where you will sweat a lot, consider a stainless gat. Rust never sleeps.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:13 AM

7,647 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I am probably the only person ever mugged TWICE while jogging. I mean what kind of idiot mugs a jogger? Anyway they travel in groups I can tell you that. 4 the first time,in Newport News, VA, two the second in Guatemala during historic peace talks, both back in the 80's.

First time I was carrying a .38 snubbie in the pocket of a sweat jacket, I showed it and kept running. Second I had a 1911 in a leather shoulder holster with two extra mags. Yeah, that was comfortable... LOL - and yes I sweated all over everything. Just being in central america you have to oil guns once or twice a day if you don't want surface rust. My Gold Cup was pitted worse than Manuel Noreiga's face in two years. But it ran. Back then stainless pistols were just taking hold. I don't think Colt even made a SS 1911 back then.

Nowadays, you can carry a Ruger LCP in a Concealment Express clip on kydex in a pair of gym shorts just fine. I don't like the elastic bands, too hot and tight, but some do. They would work with a larger gun like a Glock 43 or LC9, I think. YMMV. Fanny packs are probably the most frequent and easiest option. Unless you need your gun in a hurry.

In both my incidents having my gun readily available was a benefit. Both cases defensive display was adequate. In Guatemala they were bird dogging me in a pickup, if I had shot the idiots it would have been an international incident I'm sure. There were security forces for like six countries, CIA and god knows who else, with several heads of state holding meetings. We were there providing armored vehicles. I shouldn't have been jogging outside of the town area but I figured nobody would be stupid enough to attack anyone with like 300 cops and a battalion of soldiers nearby. They didn't try to rob or kidnap me, I think they were just local hillbillies and wanted to mess with the city slicker. Boy were they surprised when I pulled that full size gat out from under my shirt. It was 35 years ago and still makes me laugh writing about it.

And my best advice, run downhill.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 AM

Ever see a pouch that you just wear outside, and you can just keep gun in without showing any silhouette?

Old 06-29-2020, 07:02 PM

565 posts, read 470,236 times
I have a fanny pack that says Radio Shack on it. It screams dweeb more than it screams gun. Perfect option for some occasions.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:42 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
There are a few options.

You can wear a belly band with a micro carry pistol such as a Sig Sauer P 238 380 ACP, Sig Sauer P365, S&W 442, Interarms Walther PPK/S, or even a North American Arms 22 WMR/Magnum. Test your retention as you exercise. The con is the salty moisture which can corrode a gun’s finish.

Bear in mind you need your firearms license, driver’s license and a phone.

A fanny pack specific for concealment helps with a draw more than a conventional fanny pack since You can access the gun quickly.

There are sling bags, man purses or other bags that you can put your gun into but I highly recommend making sure the trigger is protected against inadvertently firing off a round. It needs a trigger guard cover. You will need to experiment with these. Plus you can’t leave the bag unattended. I know of many stories of people leaving their gun somewhere which is always a bad thing.

If you’re working out in a gym I cannot foresee requiring a firearm but I used to think the same of churches... so there’s that. It just takes one bad breakup of a gym patron or employee to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:56 PM

This is what I can find on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaS6UBXcFSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZ1Vp3LfKc

Old 04-11-2021, 12:06 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

First time I was carrying a .38 snubbie in the pocket of a sweat jacket, I showed it and kept running. Second I had a 1911 in a leather shoulder holster with two extra mags. Yeah, that was comfortable... LOL - and yes I sweated all over everything. Just being in central america you have to oil guns once or twice a day if you don't want surface rust. My Gold Cup was pitted worse than Manuel Noreiga's face in two years. But it ran. Back then stainless pistols were just taking hold. I don't think Colt even made a SS 1911 back then.
I bought a stainless Gold Cup in 1991, which should give you an idea of when they came out. That's a little large to carry concealed, I now have a Springfield XSD that someone gave me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting