Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 03:16 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have a CVA Kentucky rifle and pistol that I built from kits when I was 11 years old. It's how I learned to finish wood and do bluing. My Dad taught me. My first 22 rifle that I still have is an old Springfield 87A made in 1941 that my Dad got me for Christmas when I was 12. It had been rode hard and put away wet. Somebody had carved their initials in the stock (which is a beautiful piece of black walnut) and it needed rebluing. The deal was is that I had to refinish it to my Dads satisfaction before I could take it out. And to his satisfaction meant just that. LOL. But that's how I learned and the rest is history.

Ive built a couple BP revolvers from kits as well. Most notably an 1861 Navy and 1860 Army both 44s. I defarbed them while they were in the white and hand stamped US martial stamping on the frames. I didn't have a rampant Colt stamp or I would have done that as well. I varnished a miniature queen of spades playing card into the grips on the 1860 and a jack of hearts on the 61s. The 61 is brass framed and the 60 is steel.

A buddy of mine has a steel framed 36 cal 61 I'd love to get my hands on. It needs some repair work but is still a solid piece. I dig on me some BP kit building. And love to shoot them just as much. And they have a niche in my survival gear along with my traditional longbow. I could keep my Lil' Bit and me well fed with my traditional tools. And in an up close down and dirty fight my handmade Bowie I forged out of an old leaf spring out of a 1950s Chevy Apache pickup and my tomahawk I made from an old roofing ax counterbalanced with an old brass plumb bob those revolvers are a right handy part of the team. As is the Kentucky pistol actually. Their effectiveness and power are undisputable and the noise and smoke they put out has an...intimidation factor. And a good bit of charisma too.

True blue American character. There's just something about old school tools that appeal to me. Growing up as I did on tales of Davey and Daniel along with Bridger and Johnson and the legends of the American Revolution and the Way West. It's more than just a hobby for me. It's a way of life. And my son is carrying that on and passing it down as well. The most of city folks just really don't get it. As chained to their modern tech as they are totally dependent on it going into full blown anxiety attacks if they forget their phone.

I still refuse to carry my phone on my person when I go fishing. It just seems to defeat the purpose of going fishing to even think about a phone ringing. And to think I used to think it would be cool to have Star Trek style technology and just call for a beam out no matter where I might be. I've ...rethought...the coolness factor of that.
While I like the idea of that, where I generally fish, there is a very real chance of running into a Grizzly or an ornery moose. My wife would be very upset with me if I went out there without my phone. I've explained to her that I am generally quite a distance away from any location where I can get a cell signal, but she has prevailed on this issue, and I take my phone.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:43 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
While I like the idea of that, where I generally fish, there is a very real chance of running into a Grizzly or an ornery moose. My wife would be very upset with me if I went out there without my phone. I've explained to her that I am generally quite a distance away from any location where I can get a cell signal, but she has prevailed on this issue, and I take my phone.
LOL, yeah my Lil' Bit has heartburn with me not having my phone too. Worst I might run into is a mountain lion critter wise. We have bears to bu they don't generally hang out in the bottom land by the river. We don't have big critters that you need a 45 70 to stop here. A weird thing I've learned about cats, for all the power they have they die pretty easy.

I've seen them dropped dead in their tracks with a 22. Last one I had to track down my buddy killed with a 20 ga and #6 shot. Still that's really not here nor there. You're right about the communication factor. As are our ladies. They only insist on the electronic leash because they care. We do have to compromise our...man principals in certain areas. But still..fishin'.? Where we go to the trout stream and put a bobber and bait on the hook so the fish don't bug us? LOL, it seems almost ...sacreligious. But this is the world we live in now.

It's not the 1970s 0r 80s anymore. (sigh) I miss the days where I could disappear into the hills and mountains with a good horse a good rile and a bag of grub. But of course I was young and immortal back then. Not so much any more.....

Old 02-28-2021, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 452 times
Very nice looking pieces everyone...

I trust you all keep them safe when your not around

Old 02-28-2021, 10:39 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceefd View Post
Very nice looking pieces everyone...

I trust you all keep them safe when your not around
Thank you

Yes they're well protected.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:57 PM

Something different. Threerun was talking about a Marlin .357 'Remlin' lever action over $2,000 on GB. This is a much more reasonable priced lever-action .357 magnum

Marline 1894C .38/.357 magnum level action

Old 08-08-2021, 11:09 AM

Resurrecting this thread from the dead!

Well, I did it. Yesterday I put down a deposit for a Rossi R92 lever action in 454 casull. Since I already have a Ruger Alaskan and a Super Redhawk with 454, it's a natural progression to get the carbine as well.

It has stainless steel action & 20 inch barrel that holds 9 rounds of 454. The store said it will take 6 months or more for Rossi to deliver, I guess I'll just need to be patient

Old 08-08-2021, 11:59 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Nice rifle - enjoy it!!

Old 08-09-2021, 06:33 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Well, I did it. Yesterday I put down a deposit for a Rossi R92 lever action in 454 casull. Since I already have a Ruger Alaskan and a Super Redhawk with 454, it's a natural progression to get the carbine as well.

It has stainless steel action & 20 inch barrel that holds 9 rounds of 454. The store said it will take 6 months or more for Rossi to deliver, I guess I'll just need to be patient
Shooting Times October 2021 issue has an article devoted to that very same rifle. Steve Gash praises it to high heaven. I’m glad to see Rossi offering it again. I like to pair my revolvers with a lever action too. My Ruger Tolkat has been needing a companion arm for too long, it’s time to do something about it.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:10 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Shooting Times October 2021 issue has an article devoted to that very same rifle. Steve Gash praises it to high heaven. I’m glad to see Rossi offering it again. I like to pair my revolvers with a lever action too. My Ruger Tolkat been needing a companion arm for too long, it’s time to do something about it.
It’s “Toklat.”

Old 08-09-2021, 11:21 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It’s “Toklat.”
Always on the job! What took you so long? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting