Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 11:56 PM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

20 or so years ago I had kind of gotten the long-range shooting, unfortunately for a short period of time. Then we decided to build our own home, so work/life and other hobbies (motorcycles) got in the way. Fast forward to now, and I'm retired and have time. Really gotten the bug to get back into it. 20 years ago I was shooting a Winchester Stealth in .308, a Win Coyote in 7WSM. A couple years later I got the bug to build an AR before some idiots in DC banned them. Ended up building one focused on accuracy-that I haven't run more than 50 rounds through.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to get out a bit past .308 ranges (past 1k) and selected a 6.5 Creedmoor for a combination of ballistic performance with mild recoil and good barrel life. Ordered a Howa 24" barreled action, a MDT XRS chassis and a Burris XTR 5-25 (discontinued model), waiting for them to come in. Looking forward to getting the parts to play with. Still need to pick up some ammo, as well as dies and reloading components-I haven't pulled the handle on my loading press in at least 15 years.

So, just curious-who else shoots this round, and how do you like it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 09:44 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I have one. A Remington 700 5R with a 24" 1:8 twist barrel. Replaced the trigger with a TriggerTech set at 1.5lbs (this is a range rifle). Leupold Mark5 5-25. It's fun to shoot with little recoil. My gun loves the Hornady ELD-M and ELD-X bullets.

That was one of my first load work-ups with the bullet seated pretty close to the lands. They had to be single fed- won't feed from the magazine. I've since loaded to mag feed and I don't get as tight of groups but certainly around 1/2-3/4" groups which is perfectly fine for steel. As for factory loads, I found the Hornady 140 or 147gr match ammo works well.

I took a small buck this fall with the ELD-X bullet- works as advertised!

Last edited by Threerun; 01-22-2024 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-27-2024, 09:17 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I have one. A Remington 700 5R with a 24" 1:8 twist barrel. Replaced the trigger with a TriggerTech set at 1.5lbs (this is a range rifle). Leupold Mark5 5-25. It's fun to shoot with little recoil. My gun loves the Hornady ELD-M and ELD-X bullets.

That was one of my first load work-ups with the bullet seated pretty close to the lands. They had to be single fed- won't feed from the magazine. I've since loaded to mag feed and I don't get as tight of groups but certainly around 1/2-3/4" groups which is perfectly fine for steel. As for factory loads, I found the Hornady 140 or 147gr match ammo works well.

Are they too long to fit in the mag, or is it some other issue?

And the second one looks like a great one, by the way. A SD of 9 is impressive.

Don’t you have some fancy powder measure?

Old 01-27-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
20 or so years ago I had kind of gotten the long-range shooting, unfortunately for a short period of time. Then we decided to build our own home, so work/life and other hobbies (motorcycles) got in the way. Fast forward to now, and I'm retired and have time. Really gotten the bug to get back into it. 20 years ago I was shooting a Winchester Stealth in .308, a Win Coyote in 7WSM. A couple years later I got the bug to build an AR before some idiots in DC banned them. Ended up building one focused on accuracy-that I haven't run more than 50 rounds through.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to get out a bit past .308 ranges (past 1k) and selected a 6.5 Creedmoor for a combination of ballistic performance with mild recoil and good barrel life. Ordered a Howa 24" barreled action, a MDT XRS chassis and a Burris XTR 5-25 (discontinued model), waiting for them to come in. Looking forward to getting the parts to play with. Still need to pick up some ammo, as well as dies and reloading components-I haven't pulled the handle on my loading press in at least 15 years.

So, just curious-who else shoots this round, and how do you like it? Thanks.
Sounds like you’ve put together a nice rig.

You didnt mention it, and you probably know it, but you are probably going to need a 20 moa scope base to get out to 1,000+.

The 6.5 Creedmore is a great cartridge. And in the world of serious lang range shooting, its biggest benefit might just be that it isn’t terribly fussy to reload. High quality brass is readily available. But if you look at the stats, it’s not a cartridge that’s winning. When you’ve shot out that original barrel, consider a different caliber. Lots of great information on all things long range can be found at the Precision Rifle Blog. Two. Other great sources of info the 6mmbr and Accurate Shooter websites. If you haven’t been there before, check them out.

Precision Rifle Blog

6mmbr

Accurate Shootet

Lastly, if you want to shorten the learning curve and significantly jumpstart your skill level, find some competition and join in. You will learn SO MUCH more than if you just go the range by yourself and shoot.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Nice shooting and load development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Sounds like you’ve put together a nice rig.

You didnt mention it, and you probably know it, but you are probably going to need a 20 moa scope base to get out to 1,000+.

The 6.5 Creedmore is a great cartridge. And in the world of serious lang range shooting, its biggest benefit might just be that it isn’t terribly fussy to reload. High quality brass is readily available. But if you look at the stats, it’s not a cartridge that’s winning. When you’ve shot out that original barrel, consider a different caliber. Lots of great information on all things long range can be found at the Precision Rifle Blog. Two. Other great sources of info the 6mmbr and Accurate Shooter websites. If you haven’t been there before, check them out.

Precision Rifle Blog

6mmbr

Accurate Shootet

Lastly, if you want to shorten the learning curve and significantly jumpstart your skill level, find some competition and join in. You will learn SO MUCH more than if you just go the range by yourself and shoot.

Good luck!
I got the barreled action and chassis in yesterday, they are together. Scope sitting in it's box, waiting on rings and base. I have a set of Seekins rings coming and one of his muzzle brakes in my kit-I used to work with Glen maybe 20 years ago. Also ordered 50 (loaded) rounds of Lapua 123 grain Scenars. Would have preferred heavier bullets-but there was a big jump in price! Bought these for the brass, and they will do fine for barrel break-in. Got some 4831SC and Varget sitting around-got to see what loads I can work up (not sure the SC is appropriate, but Varget looks good). Need to pick some bullets to try.

Thanks for the links, I'm checking them out now. CM is a place to start, I don't have a huge amount invested in this rifle. Might have to look at something different next time. Would consider a Havak Hit, due to the changeable barrel. One of the selling points for me is the barrel life of the CM. Considered a 6.5 PRC, but supposedly barrel life is about half.

Old 01-27-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:

I got the barreled action and chassis in yesterday, they are together. Scope sitting in it's box, waiting on rings and base. I have a set of Seekins rings coming and one of his muzzle brakes in my kit-I used to work with Glen maybe 20 years ago. Also ordered 50 (loaded) rounds of Lapua 123 grain Scenars. Would have preferred heavier bullets-but there was a big jump in price! Bought these for the brass, and they will do fine for barrel break-in. Got some 4831SC and Varget sitting around-got to see what loads I can work up (not sure the SC is appropriate, but Varget looks good). Need to pick some bullets to try.

Thanks for the links, I'm checking them out now. CM is a place to start, I don't have a huge amount invested in this rifle. Might have to look at something different next time. Would consider a Havak Hit, due to the changeable barrel. One of the selling points for me is the barrel life of the CM. Considered a 6.5 PRC, but supposedly barrel life is about half.
What scope base did you get?

And if you get even moderately serious, you’ll find that re-barreling is low on your list of expenses.

Old 01-27-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Are they too long to fit in the mag, or is it some other issue?

And the second one looks like a great one, by the way. A SD of 9 is impressive.

Don’t you have some fancy powder measure?
Seated off the lands yes- too long to fit but incredibly small groups. Seated to just feed from the mag groups open to about 1/4-1/2”.

I do have a great powder measure https://autotrickler.com/pages/autotrickler-v4

Old 01-27-2024, 01:25 PM

Quote:

H4350, 6.5 Staball- powders in that burn range do well. 4831sc may be too slow

Old 01-27-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
What scope base did you get?

And if you get even moderately serious, you’ll find that re-barreling is low on your list of expenses.
I got a Nightforce 20 MOA base, Optics Planet. Waiting on it now.

Old 01-27-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
H4350, 6.5 Staball- powders in that burn range do well. 4831sc may be too slow
Yeah, H4350 is one I've been reading lots of good things about. I need to dig in more and learn the specifics about it vs Varget. Got most of a large (8 lb?) bottle of both the Varget and SC. Agree on the SC in particular. Will grab some 4350 next time I find some. Any particular recommendations on bullets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting