Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 11:22 AM

434 posts, read 942,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm going to be that person I've traded in 3 hand guns to my local gun shop. Each time my value was greater than what I paid for it at same shop. One of them only by 5 dollars,but hey... One I purchased used, all others were new.
I would assume like car dealerships, the sales folks goal is to make a profit on both ends in this type of transaction. It would be interesting to know what their profit margins are. During this political and pandemic times, it is truly a sellers marker. Armed with some knowledge as to how much my gun is selling for and how much the new one is I could use the same logic as the car dealership shop hop to see whom will be realistic.

Bottom line is the gun is in my night stand, loaded to use in emergency however I would rather be able to comfortably conceal carry it, my others are a LCR 38S+P and an ailing 380 which has been sent in to see if it can be fixed

Here in Tucson there are many gun shops...maybe I will venture out and test the waters and see if I can find an honest dealer to make my trade. I do not feel comfortable selling private party on line. Thank you for your imput!!

Old 02-19-2021, 09:53 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,196,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
I would assume like car dealerships, the sales folks goal is to make a profit on both ends in this type of transaction. It would be interesting to know what their profit margins are. During this political and pandemic times, it is truly a sellers marker. Armed with some knowledge as to how much my gun is selling for and how much the new one is I could use the same logic as the car dealership shop hop to see whom will be realistic.

Bottom line is the gun is in my night stand, loaded to use in emergency however I would rather be able to comfortably conceal carry it, my others are a LCR 38S+P and an ailing 380 which has been sent in to see if it can be fixed

Here in Tucson there are many gun shops...maybe I will venture out and test the waters and see if I can find an honest dealer to make my trade. I do not feel comfortable selling private party on line. Thank you for your imput!!
Admittingly, you be going at this with greater knowledge than I did. I never looked online as it was something I needed to do in the moment, especially the last one in July.

My preference is dealing with a locally owned business. Also, I know with this shop if I've purchased used, it has been looked over for any major issues.

It's different strokes for different folks Good luck!

Old 02-19-2021, 04:51 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
Number one advice - clear the weapon before you trade it in!

Yeah I know, we all know better. I just remember all these videos I see at pawn shops where it's traded in:
Owner: "Is the weapon unloaded?"
Customer: "yes of course, magazine is removed, see"
....Customer hands over gun to owner, owner racks slide and a bullet comes out.

Don't be THAT GUY.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:18 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,632,978 times
Quote:
Yes the mentioned gunbroker site is where I would really like to list it however I do not see any newbies. I live in Arizona so private party is ok.
There are several guns-n-ammo trader groups on MeWe, and a few web pages like https://www.azgunbuy.com/ or https://backpagegun.com/firearms/phoenix

Are you a member of https://azcdl.org ?

Old 02-20-2021, 01:23 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,632,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Indeed you can sell or trade firearms in Arizona without having to go through a licensed dealer. However it is still illegal to knowingly sell to a prohibited possessor as described by federal law. Or in a person to person sale to a resident from another state. In which case you have to ship the firearm to an FFL licensee within the buyers home state where they will perform all of the necessary background checks and paperwork according to both federal and state laws.

I believe that they have to do a NICS check along with the buyer filing out Form 4473. If you decide to sell privately you might want to request that the buyer have a valid Arizona drivers license along with an Arizona concealed weapons permit. Then make a copy of both for your records. If that's not possible you can write down the ID numbers on both along with their name and the date that you sold the gun. If they refuse then I wouldn't sell the gun to them.
Eh, if a seller asked to see my ID and CCW, that's one thing. Making copies or a record is a no-go. That's my PII. If someone tries to "require" that, I'm walking away with my money.

Ask to see it. That's your due diligence. I would not recommend trying to keep records... that isn't going to go anywhere good. Records are subpoenable. I would not want to wind up facing any kind of a request to dig up info like that or try to explain why I couldn't years later. "I asked to see an ID, I saw they were of legal age, I had no reason to believe they were a prohibited person, that's all I know." Trying to do more possibly puts you in a position where you've bought additonal liability.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:45 PM

3,171 posts, read 1,654,508 times
Quote:

One question, you mentioned having the transfer done by an FFL, will they do a background check on the person?

Thanks..
Yes, they'll do a 4473 for a small fee, typically 25 to 35 bucks. In some states with sales tax, a unscrupulous shop may attempt to collect sales tax which may or may not be unlawful but I'd just halt the transaction and find another more reasonable FFL. as always, its best to keep everything legal. Knowing the actual law in your state is paramount.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:14 PM

434 posts, read 942,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
There are several guns-n-ammo trader groups on MeWe, and a few web pages like https://www.azgunbuy.com/ or https://backpagegun.com/firearms/phoenix

Are you a member of https://azcdl.org ?
Great info, thank you

Old 02-20-2021, 03:24 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,270,171 times
Quote:
Eh, if a seller asked to see my ID and CCW, that's one thing. Making copies or a record is a no-go. That's my PII. If someone tries to "require" that, I'm walking away with my money.

Ask to see it. That's your due diligence. I would not recommend trying to keep records... that isn't going to go anywhere good. Records are subpoenable. I would not want to wind up facing any kind of a request to dig up info like that or try to explain why I couldn't years later. "I asked to see an ID, I saw they were of legal age, I had no reason to believe they were a prohibited person, that's all I know." Trying to do more possibly puts you in a position where you've bought additonal liability.
It's a free country, that's up to you. It wouldn't matter to me if you walked away with your money I just would NOT sell you a gun in a private sale, PERIOD!!! I don't want your money that bad.

If I was the original purchaser and sold that gun through a private sale and that gun was later on used in a crime it would be traced back to me. There's no and's, if's or but's about that. I'd want at least some proof that I sold the gun to someone who was not prohibited by law from owning a firearm. Not just on my say so. I don't see how I can be held liable for keeping my own records? If in fact I provided proof that the purchaser had a valid drivers license from my home state along with a valid concealed weapons permit.

If the cops call me in for questioning about a gun that I originally purchased and sold that was later on used in a crime. I'd give them the name of the individual that I sold my gun to along with their drivers license and concealed weapons permit numbers. They could then look it up and find out that the individual that I sold my gun to, indeed had a valid drivers license as proof that I sold the weapon to a resident of my home state, and that they indeed had a concealed weapons permit as proof that they were not a prohibited possessor as described by federal law. I'd also want to be free of any civil liability.

You'd better believe that you'll end up being sued for negligence by either the victim or the victim's family. "Well, I sold it to some guy a few years back who showed me his drivers license and weapons permit." That would be your only defense? Good luck with that. How else could you prove that you knowingly sold the weapon to someone who was not prohibited by law from owning one? You will be questioned and you will need an attorney. That you can count on. It really isn't much different then leaving firearms around unsecured where someone who shouldn't get ahold of them does and later on commits a crime or causes an accident with it. Or a bartender who serves someone alcohol that later on gets into a serious accident. Even if the person didn't appear to be drunk.

What you do is your business, what other people do is their business, what I do is mine. For what it's worth as you asked someone earlier. I am a life member of AZCDL it was one of the first things I did upon moving here.

Quote:
Legal Risks Bartenders Face for Over Serving Alcohol
https://www.alcohol.org/laws/over-serving/
May 08, 2020 · As an alcohol-serving establishment, businesses can be especially vulnerable to the legal risks of over-serving their patrons. While bartenders can be particularly effective in limiting the damage that an intoxicated person may potentially cause by cutting them, they may also face legal and civil charges as a result of over-serving.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 02-20-2021 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-20-2021, 08:05 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,850,967 times
Quote:

Agreed with Ex New Yorker here. I will not sell you MY GUN if you would not let me take a picture of your driver's license and CCW permit. In fact, to save all of us unnecessary aggravation i would place the following words in my ad "MUST LEAVE PHOTOCOPY OF DRIVER'S LICENSE AND CCW PERMIT FOR THE PURCHASE ".

There will be buyers who are not willing to show their driver's license and CCW. But I don't have to sell it to them neither. Not saying your unwillingness raises suspicion but that's not the way I roll. I want to have the conscience and THE EVIDENCE that i sold MY GUN to someone who's legal to own them.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:33 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,270,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Agreed with Ex New Yorker here. I will not sell you MY GUN if you would not let me take a picture of your driver's license and CCW permit. In fact, to save all of us unnecessary aggravation i would place the following words in my ad "MUST LEAVE PHOTOCOPY OF DRIVER'S LICENSE AND CCW PERMIT FOR THE PURCHASE ".

There will be buyers who are not willing to show their driver's license and CCW. But I don't have to sell it to them neither. Not saying your unwillingness raises suspicion but that's not the way I roll. I want to have the conscience and THE EVIDENCE that i sold MY GUN to someone who's legal to own them.
Thank You!!!

When selling a gun privately you can't be too careful. I know that it would be on my conscience if I gun I sold privately was later on used to commit a crime let alone murder someone. At least I would know that I did everything in my power to ensure that I did not sell it to someone who was prohibited by law from owning it.

Sure you could sell your car to someone who later on gets drunk and into an accident. But with guns it's different as there are just too many people who want to exploit every incident possible in order to pass even more useless legislation that only affects their lawful use. I certainly do not want to see any gun registration scheme that would be necessary if private sales without going through a licensed dealer were made illegal.

By the way taking a photo of the drivers license and CCW of a potential buyer is a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting