Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 01:52 PM

439 posts, read 958,145 times

Advertisements

Hi..

So how bad is it or not to go to a gun store to trade in a gun for another model? I see alot of used guns in the stores these days and assume they are either on consignment or have been traded for another.

Since the market is really hot right now, inventory being low I might be able to make a deal.... Better than sitting in my drawer.

Reason is weight and concealment. Popular brand and they are moving even used on a popular Ebay like website. I would try to sell it there myself however being private party and no reputation might not get any traction.

Also are gun shows a good place to trade?

Thanks.

Last edited by Rudydog1; 02-14-2021 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Forgot question

Old 02-14-2021, 02:58 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Sell it privately if lawful in your area and have the transfer done by an FFL, since you mentioned concealment I presume it's a handgun. Trading in usually is a good deal for the shop and something less than good for you. Check gunbroker dot com sold listings for a general idea of what folks are willing to pay. Haven't seen any gun shows since the pandemic hit. Best of luck to ya.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:38 PM

439 posts, read 958,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Sell it privately if lawful in your area and have the transfer done by an FFL, since you mentioned concealment I presume it's a handgun. Trading in usually is a good deal for the shop and something less than good for you. Check gunbroker dot com sold listings for a general idea of what folks are willing to pay. Haven't seen any gun shows since the pandemic hit. Best of luck to ya.
Yes the mentioned gunbroker site is where I would really like to list it however I do not see any newbies. I live in Arizona so private party is ok.

The gun show scheduled here in Tucson was cancelled, not surprised with the environment/government here, hoping the Phoenix ones will go on as scheduled.

My brother in law is looking and of course I told him I could give him a good deal and private party however his friend is a retired police officer and wants to take him under his wing and to some shops

One question, you mentioned having the transfer done by an FFL, will they do a background check on the person?

Thanks..

Old 02-14-2021, 04:08 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I've bought and sold three or so rifles and handguns through that site past couple years. All went fine. There is a place in my part of WA state for such...discussions...as well: two other deals through that went great, using a Seattle FFL as the lawful intermediary per law. That too was past couple years.

They do tend to, uhm, "accumulate" over time at my residence so a little buy-and-sell seemed in order to even things out a bit. Not sure if anything is forever in my world. Exception perhaps being a custom 1911 Commander Luke Volkmann built for me back in '11...but otherwise...

Old 02-14-2021, 04:40 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Yes the mentioned gunbroker site is where I would really like to list it however I do not see any newbies. I live in Arizona so private party is ok.

The gun show scheduled here in Tucson was cancelled, not surprised with the environment/government here, hoping the Phoenix ones will go on as scheduled.

My brother in law is looking and of course I told him I could give him a good deal and private party however his friend is a retired police officer and wants to take him under his wing and to some shops

One question, you mentioned having the transfer done by an FFL, will they do a background check on the person?

Thanks..
Indeed you can sell or trade firearms in Arizona without having to go through a licensed dealer. However it is still illegal to knowingly sell to a prohibited possessor as described by federal law. Or in a person to person sale to a resident from another state. In which case you have to ship the firearm to an FFL licensee within the buyers home state where they will perform all of the necessary background checks and paperwork according to both federal and state laws.

I believe that they have to do a NICS check along with the buyer filing out Form 4473. If you decide to sell privately you might want to request that the buyer have a valid Arizona drivers license along with an Arizona concealed weapons permit. Then make a copy of both for your records. If that's not possible you can write down the ID numbers on both along with their name and the date that you sold the gun. If they refuse then I wouldn't sell the gun to them.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 02-14-2021 at 04:53 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 07:26 AM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
To get a somewhat close idea of a gun value, check out the Blue Book of Gun Values. What ever your model is, a gun store will give you half that value, max. Gun dealers at gun show will give you considerable less than that. Best thing is to sell it yourself. You get the most usually on Gun Broker site. It’s insane some of the values they get for crap guns. I think it’s late nite drunk bidding.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:49 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Check out armslist.com

It breaks it down by State and area. If you sell/trade face to face, as I have done, I require them to have an Alabama license and preferable a concealed permit. I know many may not like that, but it's what I require.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:34 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
I'm going to be that person I've traded in 3 hand guns to my local gun shop. Each time my value was greater than what I paid for it at same shop. One of them only by 5 dollars,but hey... One I purchased used, all others were new.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:43 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
I had a Sears single shot shotgun which was so old it had no serial number (pre-1963). The spring never got fixed right so it fired maybe 65% of the time.

They had a gun buy-back in Chicago so I gave it to Father Pfelger and the program gave me a credit card with $200 on it!

Old 02-18-2021, 02:21 AM

4,899 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Selling it to a gun shop would be my last choice since they will low ball you most of the time... It’s a business and they need to pay the bills... There’s no profit for them to buy a $500 pistol for $500 and sell it for $500.

Personally, since I live in Washington State, I put my guns for sale on consignment. “I” don’t mind paying the 10% to 15% fee since there is a clear and legal disconnect with me and that firearm.

Point and case. About two years ago, while I was at a local gun shop, a guy came in with a pre-ban Colt AR-15A2 rifle with a factory Colt scope on it AND it was a semi rare Government model with the 20” USGI profile barrel, and looking to sell it. The shop’s main guy looked at it and put on his poker face and told the guy that these are hard to sell since EVERYBODY wants the new and cool M4 carbines and not interested in these “old” rifles.

This poor guy was offered $400, but he got them up to $450 and sold it... Just the Colt scope would easily sell for $200 to $250 alone!! I was hoping these guy would walk out of the place, cuz if he would have, I’d make a real offer of $1,000 and do the legal transfer at another gun shop. Basically, the guy was robbed. IMHO, if the shop would have offered him $700-$800, that would be fair since they could easily sell that rifle for $1300 and sell the Colt scope for $250-$300, which is still a very nice profit. I bet those guys at that shop that day were hi-fiving each other on that “kill.”

But, it’s a free market, so it is what it is and the poor guy took their offer, when he could have walked out of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting