Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 04:23 PM

880 posts, read 564,126 times

Advertisements

Fellow City-Data friends... I'm considering the purchase of a shotgun. I know literally nothing about shotguns, but I would like to purchase one for a couple of reasons.

I see gun laws potentially getting more and more restricted, and I'd like to further exercise my right. I'm not really a gun hobbyist, and don't really want to get all crazy with add-ons and stuff, but I think I would like the "typical" shotgun that you see in the movies where you load multiple shells from the bottom into a fixed magazine that sits beneath the barrel. I'm not really interested in a double-barrel or one of those old-tyme shotguns.

I don't even know what make/model to get (or what's available), but interested in something that's a common caliber of shotgun that has a decent range (something that I could potentially use out on my grandfather's old land in the middle of no where). I don't hunt, and I'd like something with a decent range (in whatever way that works). I don't know the terms, so I apologize. I guess "buckshot" is the standard kind of shell. I'd be looking to shoot bottles and targets at whatever distance is appropriate.

I recently purchased a Ruger 20/22 for my daughter. It's bright pink, and is a .22 caliber. I did so because I learned that my daughter was being taught in school that guns kill, and all the other stuff that I'll save for the politics forum. I figured it was my opportunity to get my daughter "comfortable" with guns so she doesn't view them any different than a hammer, a steak knife, or a nail gun.

The shotgun for me would be good for both home protection, and to exercise my right of ownership.

Would really appreciate any thoughts / comments on what would be a good shotgun to get. I don't know any of the makes / brands. Cost isn't a determining factor. Would prefer to buy American.

To clear the air and save people a lot of time, I'm versed in gun safety, storage, and proper handling. I deployed to Afghanistan and carried a 9mm side arm for 6 months (though I usually kept it in my locker unless I was traveling / leaving the base). So safety training and proper handling I'm good with.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 21,981 times
I own a Remington 1100 12 gauge magnum semi-automatic. I have had it for over 25 years and have shot thousands of rounds through it. It has never jammed. I take good care of it; it is cleaned and wiped down after each use.

https://www.remarms.com/shotguns/autoloading/

For shooting around your granddad's back forty, use number 6 (hunting - pheasant), or smaller (skeet/trap loads - 7.5 or 8), shot. Buckshot is too expensive to be target shooting.

You are going to get a bunch of recommendations and responses. It may be best if you have a local gun shop that also has a shooting range to rent a couple of their shotguns to help you make your final decision.

Also, if you daughter is of proper age, maybe look into a local 4-H club that offers shooting activities.

https://4-hshootingsports.org/

Last edited by ImprovedCylinder; 04-24-2022 at 05:36 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 06:49 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,492 times
For shotguns, I like both Remington 870s and Mossberg 590s; but since you already have a 10/22, if I were in your shoes, I would lean towards a Remington 870 (either the Home Defense or the Marine Special Purpose model), primarily because they have the same type of push-button safety located on the trigger guard as the 10/22 does - having the same controls on both weapons would make training and muscle-memory easier.

Ruger 10/22:

Remington 870:
Attached Thumbnails
What is a good shotgun to purchase?-1022.jpg   What is a good shotgun to purchase?-870.jpg  

Old 04-24-2022, 07:00 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Are Remingtons even available new now since the firearms end went bankrupt and the company was sold off in pieces?

I would steer clear of any semi-auto for a number of reasons, mostly due to the OP's lack of any experience and knowledge and the need for enhanced maintenance.

Not really having a good idea of what the use is being contemplated (yes, I know home defense and maybe hunting were mentioned. A hunting shotgun is awkward indoors and one set up for home defense isn't optimum in the field).

I'd tell you a pump. Browning, Winchester, Benelli, Mossberg. No, a bad guy won't run away when he hears you rack the slide but he will know you're armed and he'll likely have to kill you now.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 04-24-2022 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: cleaned up spelling

Old 04-24-2022, 07:18 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,470 times
Yes, 870s are available. You will probably be able to find a variety of barrels for any 870 you purchase.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:42 PM

46,263 posts, read 27,078,580 times
As any other shotgun/pistol/rifle, you can get advice, however, as you can see in as little as 3 posts, you already have different opinions.

Go out and hold any shotgun you can get a hold of, I like the Remington 870/1100/1187 they just fit me right, Mossberg does not, neither does Winchester.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:49 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
As any other shotgun/pistol/rifle, you can get advice, however, as you can see in as little as 3 posts, you already have different opinions.

Go out and hold any shotgun you can get a hold of, I like the Remington 870/1100/1187 they just fit me right, Mossberg does not, neither does Winchester.
One thing I've found about Mossbergs is they're lighter than many other pumps and therefore transmit more felt recoil.

The weight difference is enough you can feel it when you compare shotguns.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:11 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Always best to try and get the feel for a shotgun before you take the plunge. I'd say find a gun shop with a used rack and a decent gunsmith and get a feel for them. You may prefer a Rem over a Mossy over Winny- it depends on you.

I swear you could blindfold me, turn me around 20x and I could still hit a flushing pheasant with my Browning Silver. Now my new to me 12ga Citori? No. We're having marital issues at the moment. 16 for 25 on one round of clays, then 24 for 25 the next. It's going to take some time for me to figure that one out.

Try them if you can. A good fitting shotgun is really important.

Last edited by Threerun; 04-24-2022 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 08:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Always best to try and get the feel for a shotgun before you take the plunge. I'd say find a gun shop with a used rack and a decent gunsmith and get a feel for them. You may prefer a Rem over a Mossy over Winny- it depends on you.

I swear you could blindfold me, turn me around 20x and I could still hit a flushing pheasant with my Browning Silver. Now my new to me 12ga Citori? No. We're having marital issues at the moment. 16 for 25 on one round of clays, then 24 for 25 the next. It's going to take some time for me to figure that one out.

Try them if you can. A good fitting shotgun is really important.
This!! If you have a range near you that rents firearms, jump at it. Most of us don't buy a car just by looking at it. Its not only an investment, but a means of self defense.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:15 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Mossberg, Remington, Beretta/Benelli are the big 3. Cant go wrong with any of them.

Get 12 gauge pump. Not sure if still is, but most will have the combo gun base model. Which is they give you are self defense barrel which is 18.5in, and then a bird barrel like 26in or more. You can change out barrel depending on the occassion.

But since you are new to shooting, have you thought about something less recoil like a pistol calibre?

edit, forget pump action, everyone is going autoloading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting