Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 10:35 AM

515 posts, read 255,840 times

Advertisements

I am officially done with Gunbroker - anyone else had issues? In the last year I have received 2 firearms with material defects from large A+ sellers. One looked like a floor model with blemishes, the other had a front site damaged but the pictures of the listing were stock photos as in many listings. The buyer protection is worthless especially if the seller does a lot of business via Gunbroker. I submit claims and they are ignored because I am not a big fish. The claim might be forwarded then it sits for weeks or months then they might ask for a piece of information and sits longer and never does anyone from Gunbroker do anything about it. The only correspondence I get is a request for something where they say 'you have a couple days to respond or your request will be cancelled' which doesn't apply to them or the seller.

The FFL I get the firearms sent to allows me to look at the gun before accepting but I am always terrified of losing it outright attempting to reject it. Not sure what happens if I refuse the gun at the FFL but based on other online interactions via Gunbroker it is too much of a risk to let it go IMO.

From now on I am getting my firearms from elsewhere where I can see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 11:35 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,688,984 times
I've bought a few firearms and some other things from gunbroker. I have also sold a few via gunbroker. I've not had any real problems. Personally I stay away from listings where little information is provided about the condition of the firearm, and I prefer to look for things NOT sold by a dealer-I prefer private party. I then engage with a conversation usually by phone.

When I have listed firearms I put in a complete descriptions often with target results taken at the range. Shotguns of course not. I encourage folks to reach out to me if they want details.

What I don't like about gunbroker are the changes made to the checkout process- it seems cumbersome to me. The last few firearms I've purchased came from Montanaguntrader.com - all face to face.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:34 AM

140 posts, read 111,769 times
Gunbroker just isn't worth the hassle for me anymore. I'm in FL where there are plenty of guns, and if I can't find it locally, I'll wait a week or so, and chances are that it'll pop up, usually cheaper and with far less hassle than Gunbroker,.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:29 PM

628 posts, read 313,190 times
OP,

Never dealt through Gunbroker, but your decision certainly makes sense.

The vast majority of my purchases in the last few decades have been through one local gun store (LGS). I admit that it helps that I am in my seventies and already sort of have what I need, and am now working on the wants, or was in my fifties and sixties.

In dealing with my LGS, I not only know what my purchase looks like, I even know where it shoots to if it's a used gun. To me, this is definitely worth something, yet it has never shown up up in the purchase price. I think my LGS owner buys well.

I could tell some long stories, but the bottom line is that I have saved thousands of dollars by buying locally.

Old 01-25-2023, 04:36 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
I've only dealt with them a few times.....never had an issue.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:59 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
I buy all my guns locally.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:13 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Buying firearms online is a PITA. Wasn't GB but on the drop down for FFL they had a local Big 5. I bought on a Sunday (mistake). The next day I got called saying it's not a valid FFL. SO why is it on your website? Took us a week to sort it out.

Almost cost me some more cash.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:25 PM

127 posts, read 143,263 times
Gunbroker Sucks! I will peruse as a buyer, but seldom any real deals there once you factor in all the extra fees. As a seller, it is absolutely terrible!!! No support. Impossible to communicate with anyone who runs the site. As a buyer and more so as a seller, you are truly on your own.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:27 PM

127 posts, read 143,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySipowicz View Post
Gunbroker just isn't worth the hassle for me anymore. I'm in FL where there are plenty of guns, and if I can't find it locally, I'll wait a week or so, and chances are that it'll pop up, usually cheaper and with far less hassle than Gunbroker,.

In general I agree with you. Curious what sites you have found to be the best in Florida. So many are loaded with scam sellers. Others have too narrow a reach. Armslist is OK, but comes with a fee to list and limited search ability.

Old 01-28-2023, 02:01 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
I have looked on there, but I can usually find the same guns cheaper at our local gun stores. You just have to shop around. I bought a new S&W $100 cheaper than what the locals wanted by just driving 20 miles from town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting