Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2024, 10:33 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Reputation: 4175

Advertisements

An article from just a few years ago:
Analysis of 104 documented cases of handguns used against bear attacks, by caliber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2024, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Reputation: 24902
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Glock 20 10mm- 180gr bear round- 1,311 fps - Glock model 20 4.6-inch barrel

3-inch S&W J Frame .357- Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard cast LFN = 1302 fps

No firearm data- assume standard 1911 -45 ACP +P OUTDOORSMAN - 255 gr. Hard Cast FN (925 fps/M.E. 484 ft. lbs.)

Heavy .44 Magnum Ammo 305 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. @ 1,325 fps/M.E. 1,189 ft lbs (this is what I would use in a S&W .44mag. You can get more powerful IF you use certain approved handguns)

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=48
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2024, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Reputation: 18855
Something else to keep in mind of having a gun vs bear spray.
https://www.hunter-ed.com/national/s.../201099_93100/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2024, 03:29 PM
 
46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Reputation: 11114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Something else to keep in mind of having a gun vs bear spray.
https://www.hunter-ed.com/national/s.../201099_93100/
Bear spray, this IS only a joke:

https://www.newsweek.com/wildlife-de...-viral-1709575
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2024, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Reputation: 5344
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Does anyone want to talk me out of this? If not Glock 20 then Glock 40 or XDM-Elite 10mm. This is to supplement spray in bear & cat country in contexts where a long gun isn't feasible.

Carry what you are comfortable shooting. I have a Glock 19 for two legged threats and a 18" barrel 12 gauge pump shotgun for bigger threats. Although I've pulled both out on several occasions, I've thankfully never had to actually pull the trigger so I can't vouch for effectiveness. My wife won't carry a gun and so she is armed with bear spray. Fortunately, she hasn't had to use it either.


We've been around a lot of bears. I've had way more problems with moose than bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2024, 06:27 PM
 
2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Reputation: 3673
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

Park rangers are advising hikers and campers in national parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance, so they won’t be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them, which might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors are told they should also carry a pepper spray can just in case they encounter a bear. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear’s sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear droppings so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur.
Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2024, 06:53 PM
 
46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Reputation: 11114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Park rangers are advising hikers and campers in national parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance, so they won’t be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them, which might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors are told they should also carry a pepper spray can just in case they encounter a bear. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear’s sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear droppings so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur.
Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
PLEASE tell me that you DID NOT read the link, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....tell me you did not read the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2024, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Idaho
240 posts, read 236,073 times
Reputation: 175
Rented a Glock 40 tonight and thought it was fine. They wouldn't let me shoot hot loaded rounds but the stuff I was shooting didn't feel much different that the 9mm I previously shot out of a smaller gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2024, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Reputation: 24902
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Rented a Glock 40 tonight and thought it was fine. They wouldn't let me shoot hot loaded rounds but the stuff I was shooting didn't feel much different that the 9mm I previously shot out of a smaller gun.
Well that’s good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2024, 10:47 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Reputation: 4175
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Rented a Glock 40 tonight and thought it was fine. They wouldn't let me shoot hot loaded rounds but the stuff I was shooting didn't feel much different that the 9mm I previously shot out of a smaller gun.
To be fair, alot of available 10mm is so downloaded, it's essentially .40 S&W in a longer case.
For anyone buying 10mm: be very careful on what ammunition you purchase, if you want to get the full benefit of having a 10mm in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top