Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times

Advertisements

I had three of these things. They shoot but I hate the cart. the gun, but they are cheap. I paid I think 99 dollars minus ten percent at a sport shot several years ago. I can't say they are no good at all, I just hate them. They kick like mule, are not fun to shoot for me at least, and sell for pennies on the dollar. LOL. I guess I got my money back when I sold it. I sure don't miss it and would walk on by a garage sale with one for 50 bucks. An SKS is different though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I am freaking out......... 7.62 x 51 is rather like .308 Winchester. 7.64 x 54 is 3 mm's longer than these other rounds and anyone who tried to run a 7.62 x 51 OR .308 Winchester, in a gun chambered for the 54 mm casing is going to have a real bad hair day, since the firing chamber will not be sealed or close to fully supported.

Basically you just built a BOMB.....
Many of you guys know better including the Mod... What gives anyway?

There are zillions of Russian Nagant's out there and so they are low dollar guns, but are pretty well built.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 AM

477 posts, read 900,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If someone does not want to pay for modern non-corrosive ammo - consider handloading...good grief, leave that vintage corrosive ammo alone.

If you *do* shoot corrosive ammo, the thing is, you have to clean the bore with a water based cleaner, or even just regular patches but wet with water, to clean the salts off the bore. You can clean it all day every day with Hoppe's or whatever and it will still rust.

I think you can get Russian made Wolf ammo that is probably Berdan primed, so requires Berdan primers (not sure where to get them) and a specific decapping tool if you want to reload the brass - but this is good quality ammo for somewhat cheaper. I think Norma makes the ammo too, very good quality and the brass is normal Boxer primed - but they are quite proud of it and price it accordingly.

For any centerfire, though, handloading is the way to go. If you cast your own bullets, you can shoot big-bore rifles (most at somewhat reduced power levels) for peanuts.
Nothing at all wrong with shooting the cheap corrosive ammo in these old guns. The cleaning is key, like mentioned. A better solution is to bring a bottle of windex (with ammonia) with you to the range and just spray some down the bore after you are done shooting. The ammonia neutralizes the salts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting