Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:46 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times

Advertisements

Given that it would be when the crap hits the fan and I need it to hunt and Defend my family
B.A.R. [if not that then the Tommy M1A1, ok getting realist ,AR-4 In the new Caliber
ruger police service six .357.
If I get a shot gun ? there are very few better than
Saiga 12 by tromix
AA-12
PS it is not how many guns you have, it is how much ammo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
I'd say a 357 mag with a second cylinder for 9mm and 38 special with it. I would get a 22 magnum rifle. I could also shoot 22 LR,22 longs and 22shorts in it also.
Both could be used for defense and hunting. Maybe not the best choices but I could make due in a pinch. And have more choices of ammo if I ran across some.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I'd say a 357 mag with a second cylinder for 9mm and 38 special with it. I would get a 22 magnum rifle. I could also shoot 22 LR,22 longs and 22shorts in it also.
Both could be used for defense and hunting. Maybe not the best choices but I could make due in a pinch. And have more choices of ammo if I ran across some.
FYI shadow, .22. mag chambers do NOT chamber shorts longs and long rifles. They will split, dramatically. It does not work the same way as .38/.357 or .44/44mag. hence pistols like he Ruger Single Six have TWO cylinders...one for standard one for WMR. Don't try to shoot standards in a magnum chamber.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,175 times
Handgun, would have to be the Goldcup. Nothing tops it, imo

Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't specify. For that reason, there's no way you should have known. Anyway, they are 22 Long Rifle, made by Federal, and just under $14 per box of 550 rounds. I bought a few boxes, just to be sure I had enough.
I got to wondering if there a difference in number of duds between centerfire and rimfire. I'm assuming you have centerfire; my rifle is rimfire.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I got to wondering if there a difference in number of duds between centerfire and rimfire. I'm assuming you have centerfire; my rifle is rimfire.
I actually have several of each type, though what I was referring to in the post was rimfire. 22 Long Rifle is a rimfire round, which is what I referred to when citing ammo at $14/500 rds. I have never personally experienced duds in either rimfire or centerfire, though I have heard of problems with both. I would think it would be more likely with centerfire, if only for the reason that the primers are handled as a separate component, while they are part of the case with rimfire. I would imagine, though I don't know, that the primers of a centerfire cartridge would be handled more during manufacture, which is why I suspect this.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Handgun, would have to be the Goldcup. Nothing tops it, imo
I like the Goldcup. It's basically an enhanced 1911. The trigger is rather twitchy on them however and the stock sights on the series 70/80 (the Eliasons) were garbage. The trigger , with it's adjustable sear engagement can be turned in to far and cause doubleing and in one extreme case I witnessed the WHOLE mag to feed full auto. Lol, that happened in the middle of a timed fire string at a Bullseye match and the shooter was rather taken aback by the incident. Replacing the Eliason sights with a good set of Bo Mars is a good investment. These are about the best adjustable sights on the market IMHO. I have a set on my custom 1911 and they have won me a lot of Steel Shoots and a few Bullseye matches as well. The handgun I would keep as my "one and only" would be my 1911 .45. We are old and dear friends

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
FYI shadow, .22. mag chambers do NOT chamber shorts longs and long rifles. They will split, dramatically. It does not work the same way as .38/.357 or .44/44mag. hence pistols like he Ruger Single Six have TWO cylinders...one for standard one for WMR. Don't try to shoot standards in a magnum chamber.
If you're looking for a light load, use.22 W.R.F. It is to the .22 magnum what the .22 short is to the long rifle with the same rules. It's fine in revolvers and anything else but a semi-auto. You need the length in those if they're chambered for the longer round.

Some many moons ago Henry Stebbins recounted using .25 Bacon & Bliss as an understudy for the .22 W.R.F. I checked, too. It's oversize but it worked. Unfortunately, it was discontinued during World War I.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I actually have several of each type, though what I was referring to in the post was rimfire. 22 Long Rifle is a rimfire round, which is what I referred to when citing ammo at $14/500 rds. I have never personally experienced duds in either rimfire or centerfire, though I have heard of problems with both. I would think it would be more likely with centerfire, if only for the reason that the primers are handled as a separate component, while they are part of the case with rimfire. I would imagine, though I don't know, that the primers of a centerfire cartridge would be handled more during manufacture, which is why I suspect this.
Thanks, I had a hunch that was right, but just a hunch.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
The Remington 550 high velocity 22 golden bullets are long rifle.

I have to say that I've tried several difference brands for my 22 and dont' see a very big difference unless you spend lots of money on them.

These Remingtons have been good for the most part. I went to the range last week and could fired off 30 rounds without a problem, but then after 3 rounds, I had to eject it since it wouldn't fire. The rounds were unpredictable as to when they wouldn't fire. It's frustrating at times.

Does anyone use another brand of 22 long rifle that seems to give better performance?
In my experience, Remington was the worst, followed by Winchester and then Federal. Still, mine is a Heritage (low cost cowboy action replica)

If I could only have two guns, I'd keep my Ruger p345 45 acp: light enough for concealment, but heavy duty slide for lots of shooting and hot loads. Also, shoots DA and SA, has a decocker, round indicator, safety and will not fire if the magazine release is pressed (press it if someone is about to take your gun). Still, in a lengthy
survival/civil war type situation, I can see why a lot of men go with The 1911. Built tough, lots of spare parts floating around and a lot of people seem to know how to fix them.

Rifle wise I like the 30-06. Proven, relatively inexpensive and versatile. Of course, I do reload and cast. Otherwise, 30-06 will cost you a dollar a round at the range and I hear as low as 50 cents a round elsewhere, IF you can find it. I can do it for 20 cents or less (as little as 10 cents), mostly depending on the powder charge and type of powder. Make that 40 cents or less if I'm not casting and want a true factory bullet. Still, I could buy cast bullets and do it for 30 cents or less. Oh and for 45 acp, I do that for 6 or 7 cents a round Lots of different powders you can experiment with, to get different shooting effects too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting