Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,844 times

Advertisements

I have two misdemeanors for possession of marijuana under an ounce, which is BS beacsue I only had a joint both times, flipin north town cops. no violent crimes or DV's. I dont want to waste the money if i might not pass. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 12:05 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,850,713 times
That may, and likely will, qualify as prohibitive criteria. From the FBI's website regarding the NICS system and prohibitive criteria:

Quote:
An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year; or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year; or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,862,823 times
i'd say the fact that you apparently didn't learn the first time is enough reason... but daddy is right

Old 10-06-2009, 12:10 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times
I had to maintain an interstate hazardous materials endorsement in my mid-twenties for work. My background test turned up "fail" 4 months after the endorsement was approved. Apparently if you are or have recently been under review by any regulatory agency that can/will flag your profile.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 702Si View Post
I have two misdemeanors for possession of marijuana under an ounce, which is BS beacsue I only had a joint both times, flipin north town cops. no violent crimes or DV's. I dont want to waste the money if i might not pass. thanks.
I have a conviction for possession that I got when I was 18. It's never been an issue.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,128,929 times
I believe Daddy is correct and here is a few paragraphs from the FBI website that will assist you in determining who cannot qualify for a weapons permit.

Quote:
Federal Categories of Persons Prohibited From Receiving

A delay response from the NICS Section indicates that either you or another individual with a similar name and/or similar descriptive features (name, sex, race, date of birth, state of residence, social security number, height, weight, or place of birth) has been matched with either state prohibitive criteria or one or more of the following federally prohibitive criteria:
  • A person who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year or any state offense classified by the state as a misdemeanor and is punishable by a term of imprisonment of more than two years.
  • Persons who are fugitives of justice—for example, the subject of an active felony or misdemeanor warrant.
  • An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year; or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year; or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.

Last edited by Synergy1; 10-06-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,112,402 times
Looks like if your most recent pot issue was more than a year ago and your record is otherwise clean you are OK, if not you need to chill out till the most recent bust is more than a year old.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM

23,231 posts, read 29,071,258 times
Has anyone have any idea if this was an issue back in the 20's, during Prohibition, employers discriminating against those caught drinking, or in possession of alcoholic beverages?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,010,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Has anyone have any idea if this was an issue back in the 20's, during Prohibition, employers discriminating against those caught drinking, or in possession of alcoholic beverages?
What does prohibition and employer discrimination have to do with marijuana and a gun permit?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,850,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I have a conviction for possession that I got when I was 18. It's never been an issue.
If you only had the one then 12 months afterward you were good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Looks like if your most recent pot issue was more than a year ago and your record is otherwise clean you are OK, if not you need to chill out till the most recent bust is more than a year old.
Read the OP again. Multiple arrests (not necessarily convictions) within 5 years are a disqualifier, and the OP has 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting