U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 26,016,179 times

Advertisements

Until I was about 8 years old, my hair was a very light blonde color... as I got older, it darkened down to a sandy blonde by the time I was 15. Only the hair on my head though... hairs on my arms are still really light blonde if that makes sense? lol.

I am wanting to lighten my hair back to a lighter blonde without it being too much trouble. I did a search and read about lemon juice/water mixture, but not sure... seems to get about an 80% good rating. More people recommend using the lemon juices. Some have recommended "sun-in", but I dont have time to soak in the sun. I have very short hair if thats any help and wondering what I should do? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,139,015 times
Get a highlight done...

Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 AM

Thanks. I had already used the "sun in". Sprayed it in on Tuesday night and used the blow dryer, but it seemed to a little lighter on Wednesday. Wednesday evening (about 8 hours ago), I put more on my hair and used the blow dryer... may have went overboard, because its really lighter now... but how I wanted it, but not sure if I did it too quickly. lol. I am guessing now I dont use anymore until it starts to grow back out and needs it at the roots or do I keep using it every couple of days? Directions are not clear on that.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM

2,546 posts, read 4,501,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Until I was about 8 years old, my hair was a very light blonde color... as I got older, it darkened down to a sandy blonde by the time I was 15. Only the hair on my head though... hairs on my arms are still really light blonde if that makes sense? lol.

I am wanting to lighten my hair back to a lighter blonde without it being too much trouble. I did a search and read about lemon juice/water mixture, but not sure... seems to get about an 80% good rating. More people recommend using the lemon juices. Some have recommended "sun-in", but I dont have time to soak in the sun. I have very short hair if thats any help and wondering what I should do? Thanks.
Sun-In and lemon juice/water mixture are the worst things you can put in your hair. And Sun-In works indoors too (with a hairdryer). But they are very damaging to the hair.

Go to a salon and just get highlights put in. Tell them to give you light blonde highlights. That's simple.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM

2,546 posts, read 4,501,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks. I had already used the "sun in". Sprayed it in on Tuesday night and used the blow dryer, but it seemed to a little lighter on Wednesday. Wednesday evening (about 8 hours ago), I put more on my hair and used the blow dryer... may have went overboard, because its really lighter now... but how I wanted it, but not sure if I did it too quickly. lol. I am guessing now I dont use anymore until it starts to grow back out and needs it at the roots or do I keep using it every couple of days? Directions are not clear on that.
Okay, since you're already using Sun-In, don't use it very often. I'd say 1 time a week or every other week. But just spray enough and then quit. Don't use to much at 1 time.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks. I only used it two days and its where I want it now... its now the same color as the hairs on my arms. lol. Never sure why my hair on my head turned light brown, but that was it. Like you said, maybe once a week to keep it consistant. I may even "dilute" the sun-in with some water to make it weaker.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:14 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,563,630 times
I agree. No over-the-counter/home remedy stuff on your hair. Lemon juice will lighten but will also damage, and it takes a long time.'

If you don't want to get full-on highlights, I would try balayage: it is just as expensive as highlights but is [supposedly] more natural looking and will give you the affect of natural highlights.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM

8,413 posts, read 37,720,169 times
Highlights also damage. You have to follow up any treatment like that with deep conditioning. Pick up a couple "ion" deep conditioning packs at a sally's or Aura Cherry Bark conditioner. (also at sallys)

I would go with lemon over chemicals anyday. At least lemon on won't make you hair thin out and not come back like chemical process can. I think it looks better if you take strait lemon and do highlights. When you go all over it can get too orange/brassy sometimes.

I would touch up by making highlights to avoid really dry ends and color banding near the roots. You can do that with the sun in if you spray in into a cotton ball and streak with that.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:02 PM

3,402 posts, read 12,858,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would touch up by making highlights to avoid really dry ends and color banding near the roots. You can do that with the sun in if you spray in into a cotton ball and streak with that.
Holy crap, pitt - you've just altered the very existence of my life. COTTONBALLS!!! why didn't I ever think of that!!!

I can't wait to go home and streak stuff.. constructively!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 AM

lol... thanks for the replies. Well I am a guy (didnt mention that) and have really short hair. I have it cut at least once per month so its basically new hair every month. I have not needed to put anymore on it... I guess since my hair was dirty blonde anyway.... I just wanted it to be the same color as the hair on my arms (which are light blonde). lol. Never could figure out how a person could end up with darker blonde hair (sometimes light brown) on their head, but keep the lighter hair on their arms. I have noticed this on many people, so I am not the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care