Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,969 times

Advertisements

I am curious. When you go to get color, cut and style, does your hairdresser take another client while your color is processing or are you the only client for the entire duration of your appointment?

And if your hairdresser takes another client while your color is processing, how long do you usually wait until you get back in the chair for washing and cut?

I'm not real happy about the length of time I sit under lights while other clients are taken. I know I could process in half the time and get out at least a half hour sooner if another client wasn't taken during my process time. And I don't know how it works, but I never overprocess. The process time seems to vary depending upon his client schedule. I could be under the heat for 10 minutes, or I could be under the lights for over a half hour or more). Sometimes he comes over and turns out the lights/dryer and goes back to the other client. Last time I turned the lights off myself because I was so hot and it had been so long.

I understand that time is money and he wants to fit as many clients in as possible to be efficient. And I want to be reasonable, but I get impatient when I have a zillion other things to do and feel like I'm sitting there unnecessarily.

I don't know anyone else whose hairdresser does this. I don't care what he does during my necessary processing time, but the thought of me sitting there longer than I need to is really irritating. Sometimes I am there for 3 hours.

So before I mention this to him, I would love to know what your experiences are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
I had to discontinue my stylist due to my job loss. But when I was going to him, I was his only client while my color was processing. The only exception to that was when he was out for a week due to surgery, and he was trying to make up for the loss of income. I can totally relate to that, and I really didn't mind it at all. Even now, if my color is processing, and he wants to cut someone's hair, or get someone else ready for a color, etc., it doesn't bother me. I've been going to him for over eight years, and I know him well. A color, cut, and highlights on my hair normally takes two hours.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:46 AM

165 posts, read 588,555 times
I've been going to my stylist for years. Very upscale and yes she takes other clients while I'm processing. I normally wait about 20-30 minutes. I do see your point. I just look at it like she's got to make a living too and what is she going to do for the 20-30 minutes I'm processing????? I would do the same thing. They always ask me if I need coffee or water and make sure I am comforatable. Again, I see your point. I sometimes wish they had a girl that went ahead and washed my hair while I was waiting on her. I see both sides of the coin on this one.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:58 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,318,662 times
It's only been about 1 1/2 years with my stylist-she has not had another client during my time-but I am out in the midwest in a small town. If I was back in NY I know my stylist would have another client. I just think it depends upon population.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,969 times
Quote:
I just look at it like she's got to make a living too and what is she going to do for the 20-30 minutes I'm processing?????
I totally don't mind that he does another client while I am processing for the length of time necessary for me to process. But my processing time gets extended to accommodate that client's cut or whatever. For example, last time, I sat under the lights while there was chatting and storytelling going on, half the time was socializing. The client was a man and didn't have enough hair to spend 45 minutes on! They were just chatting it up.

If he can book another client to match my processing time, that's just fine. But when my processing time is dictated by his client schedule instead, it irks me.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I rarely to never go to a salon for anything more than a trim. And then at that, am picky where. Theres a place here in town that will trim, and only trim, my hair for less than 15 bucks, and he does it the way I want it, not what everyone else thinks it should be. I colour my own for about 6 bucks...the cost of the box.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Yes, she takes other clients while I process, but it's okay because it's a small area and it's like a little party! We all sit and chit-chat while we're all having something done. Also, my nail lady is in the cubiucle next door and she pops in, or I go over there and we chit chat. AND ... the lady who does m facials and waxing is across from both the nail and hair ladies, and we chit chat too! All three are personal friends of mine, and some of their other clients have also become personal friends of mine too. This may not work for some people, but I enjoy it.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,526 times
That is pretty much the norm...if they have 20 or 30 mins while you process...why would they not take another client in that time?...time is money. You should expect that...

Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Mine takes other clients as well, sometimes it takes a little longer than others. I don't really mind, I just read a magazine and have a glass of wine.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Mine takes other clients as well, sometimes it takes a little longer than others. I don't really mind, I just read a magazine and have a glass of wine.
Yep, me to With my complicated color I never get out of there in less than 2 hours so, I would never expect her to not take other clients. I'm glad to know she's so good at multi-tasking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care