Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 PM

274 posts, read 679,116 times

Advertisements

Do these transplant companies deliver on their promise? My husband insists that he plans to get a hair transplant to cover/add to his receding hairline...they take hair follicles from the back of the head and "transplant" them to the front. I'm worried that once the back catches up with the front, he'll have this ROW of hair not going anywhere and the back will be bald. A TRUE lose, lose situation. Does anyone know about this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:08 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Does anyone know about this stuff?
No, though based on my admittedly limited knowledge of this, I am not sure that this is the best way for men to restore their hair.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,014 times
Just saw a reality show on Bravo last night where one of the men (a doctor) had it done and his recovery looked very painful!!! His face and eyes were so swollen and he looked miserable. Not sure if this happens to all people or if he just had a bad reaction!

Your thoughts on what happens if the other areas start to thin or go bald.........I wonder about that too! How is someone going to look 10 years from now. Having a full front on top and thinning in the back around the edges would look kind of funny :-)

Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
From what I know about the procedure, he will have a massive scar across the back of his head.

Tell him to grow a pair and shave it all off and be done with it.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:59 PM

274 posts, read 679,116 times
hahahah That's what I told him! this is too funny.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
A friend of mine spent thousands (I think it was $10,000) on transplants, plus he uses minoxidil cream he needs to rub on his head every day for the rest of his life. He looks like a guy with thinning hair.

He shouldn't throw his money away.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 AM

331 posts, read 548,011 times
It depends how much hair your husband has lost. If he's only lost some in the temple regions and/or has thinned moderately on top, then a FUE (look it up) transplant from a reputable surgeon can give him back the head of hair he had as a teenager. It he's close to being full cue ball, then a hair transplant cannot give him anything that is worth the money, in my opinion.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:51 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,769,221 times
Get Rogaine at WalMart and save your money.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 AM

194 posts, read 252,345 times
A custom wig, using his own hair is not only cheaper but doesn't suffer the same problems as a hair transplant in my view (ie the hairs have to ''take'' and/or it may all fall out again because of the underlying problem)

Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Do these transplant companies deliver on their promise? My husband insists that he plans to get a hair transplant to cover/add to his receding hairline...they take hair follicles from the back of the head and "transplant" them to the front. I'm worried that once the back catches up with the front, he'll have this ROW of hair not going anywhere and the back will be bald. A TRUE lose, lose situation. Does anyone know about this stuff?
An older physician one worked with had hair transplants in his "younger" days and when a young MD sought his advice on the matter he advised the guy against the procedure.

Yes, today things are better than hair transplants of the past but you have to really work to get results. That is as you've said using various products and or taking certain medications to keep the newly shifted hair growing where it has been moved. Many of these both prescription and over the counter medications have had side effects including causing men to be unable to raise their troops so to speak.

Oh and finally the doctor showed the young kid his own now pretty much bald head. You could see the (now faint) scares from the donor site and where the hair was implanted. Long story short the longer a man lives there is still a pretty good chance his hair even the transplanted shifted ones will still fall out.

If you look at many male actors in Hollywood such as Tom Cruise think you'll find a bulk go for good well made hair pieces over transplants. These are men with tons of money and could in theory afford the best, so that should tell you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care