U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: J-ville, FL
218 posts, read 406,809 times
Reputation: 329

Advertisements

Please, don't get the impression that I work in a high end salon. I don't I wouldn't fit in with those people. But I by no means work at a Clip Joint. Just a little humble salon. If these offend you....then you're the offender.


1. Don't bring your four year old in and ask them which "style" they want, you know they'll change their minds when the cut is done, and now the stylist has a SCREAMING child in her chair.

2. If your stylist or salon coordinator calls to remind you of your appointment, please, extend them the same courtesy, and call when you are going to be late or have to cancel. It's hard to fit someone into that 1hr+. slot last minute.

3. We love you, and we love your children, but we also love our other clients as well, if you have an unruly child, get a babysitter, your roots aren't worth ruining everyone elses relaxing experience, or find a family friendly salon.

4. Keep your head still!!! Stop moving. You'll make your stylist cut their finger for the 1,000th time! Would you like some complimentary "red" color for your hair?

5. If your stylist is courteous enough to put her cell on silent and place it in their drawer......you do the same. Especially at the shampoo bowl, you'd be pretty upset if we soaked your $300 phone.

6. When you call to make and appointment and find that we are booked solid, don't ever say these arrogant words," She/He knows me. She/He WILL fit me in." Consider our other clients, that booked in advance to have our undivided attention, don't take from their time.

7. A Bar Mitzvah is NOT an emergency. A funneral (in which you feel bad enough and would rather not looks at "roots")...is

8. It's not "just a trim". We went to school and have dedicated our lives to this profession. It requires our time, knowledge, and skill, and that's not free.

9. We love our loyals, those that are good to us, we'll go the extra mile! (due to the economy, I haven't charged my loyals full price in two years)

10. Don't put your feet on our stations,umm ew, and you're not at home.

11. Tips 15%-20%.....and in cash please!!!

Keep in mind, you can not sue us for a bad hair cut, maybe for a chemical issue....but **** us off and we hold the power, literally, in our hands! Love Y'all!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 AM
 
1,496 posts, read 2,225,346 times
Reputation: 747
thank you.You said makes sense, I'll probably be careful.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
532 posts, read 1,065,358 times
Reputation: 566
Cute list. All seem common sense...but with some people you just never know! :P
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 06:27 AM
 
Location: J-ville, FL
218 posts, read 406,809 times
Reputation: 329
Yes, you would think it's common sense! But, I have those situations in my chair! And #10 is a BIG one for me! Glad you like!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,571 posts, read 35,164,133 times
Reputation: 28454
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
Please, don't get the impression that I work in a high end salon. I don't I wouldn't fit in with those people. But I by no means work at a Clip Joint. Just a little humble salon. If these offend you....then you're the offender.


1. Don't bring your four year old in and ask them which "style" they want, you know they'll change their minds when the cut is done, and now the stylist has a SCREAMING child in her chair.

2. If your stylist or salon coordinator calls to remind you of your appointment, please, extend them the same courtesy, and call when you are going to be late or have to cancel. It's hard to fit someone into that 1hr+. slot last minute.

3. We love you, and we love your children, but we also love our other clients as well, if you have an unruly child, get a babysitter, your roots aren't worth ruining everyone elses relaxing experience, or find a family friendly salon.

4. Keep your head still!!! Stop moving. You'll make your stylist cut their finger for the 1,000th time! Would you like some complimentary "red" color for your hair?

5. If your stylist is courteous enough to put her cell on silent and place it in their drawer......you do the same. Especially at the shampoo bowl, you'd be pretty upset if we soaked your $300 phone.

6. When you call to make and appointment and find that we are booked solid, don't ever say these arrogant words," She/He knows me. She/He WILL fit me in." Consider our other clients, that booked in advance to have our undivided attention, don't take from their time.

7. A Bar Mitzvah is NOT an emergency. A funneral (in which you feel bad enough and would rather not looks at "roots")...is

8. It's not "just a trim". We went to school and have dedicated our lives to this profession. It requires our time, knowledge, and skill, and that's not free.

9. We love our loyals, those that are good to us, we'll go the extra mile! (due to the economy, I haven't charged my loyals full price in two years)

10. Don't put your feet on our stations,umm ew, and you're not at home.

11. Tips 15%-20%.....and in cash please!!!

Keep in mind, you can not sue us for a bad hair cut, maybe for a chemical issue....but **** us off and we hold the power, literally, in our hands! Love Y'all!
Hmm...I've never done any of these things. However I don't always tip 20%. I only tip when it's deserved.


Here are some pet peeves from the other side of the equation:

1.) When I show up with time to spare for my appointment, the least you could do is be on time yourself. I know you're out back having a cigarette or otherwise doing something else because you're not at your chair cutting hair. I was on time...extend me the same courtesy.

2.) When washing my hair in that sink please put a towel on that hard porcelain cutout. Last time I had my hair cut I had to ask the stylist several times to do this and I eventually put my hand behind my head to try to cushion it. I ended up with a bruise on the back of my head and a sore neck. And a migraine.

3.) When cutting my hair please don't PULL it. It hurts when you do that. If I say "ow" you are pulling too hard. And if I say "ow" repeatedly, you just blew your tip.

4.) When cutting my hair please pay attention to what I told you when we discussed the initial style. If I say "no layers" I mean it. If I say "cut off x number of inches" then I mean it. If I say "inverted bob" I mean it. I am paying you to cut my hair the way I want it cut, not the way you want it cut. If you think something else would look better then please feel free to propose it to me...but you ultimately need to follow my instructions.

5.) I am practically blind without my glasses. I always mention this at the beginning. As you are clipping and cutting, I can't see what you're doing so at no point during the experience am I able to raise a hand and say "STOP!" I can't see what you're doing. This bears repeating: I can't see what you're doing. So it might help to just kind of...you know...tell me...or maybe let me pop my glasses back on halfway through to make sure that we're all on the same page.

6.) I really really dislike stylists who don't like to talk while I'm in the chair. I prefer my stylists to be chatty. If you're not friendly and you just sit there stone-faced and cut my hair and act like conversing with me is a big pain in the butt, I won't be back. And I won't recommend you to others.

7.) I don't like the last-minute switcheroo. That has happened a couple of times at different salons. I wasn't told about it until I showed up for my appointment and waited for a good 10-15 minutes. "Oh, so and so isn't here today...I will try to find someone else for you, OK?" No, not OK. You should have called as soon as you knew so and so wouldn't be here today. How about this...I just take my business elsewhere? Great.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:30 AM
 
175 posts, read 696,877 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
6.) I really really dislike stylists who don't like to talk while I'm in the chair. I prefer my stylists to be chatty. If you're not friendly and you just sit there stone-faced and cut my hair and act like conversing with me is a big pain in the butt, I won't be back. And I won't recommend you to others.
I hate that, sometimes I feel like talking sometimes I almost fall asleep, Not everyone wants their ear yaked off
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,571 posts, read 35,164,133 times
Reputation: 28454
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
I hate that, sometimes I feel like talking sometimes I almost fall asleep, Not everyone wants their ear yaked off
I think the stylist should kind of let the client guide the conversation but some of them are so stone-faced and hard to talk to that they're almost hostile. I don't like it when someone is cutting my hair and I get the feeling that they think that I'm annoying. Usually those stylists do a poor job on my hair, too.

Maybe some stylists aren't outgoing or chatty but I think what they have to realize is that their vocation isn't just cutting hair; it's dealing with people. Some of them really fall down there, especially the younger ones. It's almost like they resent you for making them cut your hair.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 AM
 
Location: J-ville, FL
218 posts, read 406,809 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Hmm...I've never done any of these things. However I don't always tip 20%. I only tip when it's deserved.


Here are some pet peeves from the other side of the equation:

1.) When I show up with time to spare for my appointment, the least you could do is be on time yourself. I know you're out back having a cigarette or otherwise doing something else because you're not at your chair cutting hair. I was on time...extend me the same courtesy.

2.) When washing my hair in that sink please put a towel on that hard porcelain cutout. Last time I had my hair cut I had to ask the stylist several times to do this and I eventually put my hand behind my head to try to cushion it. I ended up with a bruise on the back of my head and a sore neck. And a migraine.

3.) When cutting my hair please don't PULL it. It hurts when you do that. If I say "ow" you are pulling too hard. And if I say "ow" repeatedly, you just blew your tip.

4.) When cutting my hair please pay attention to what I told you when we discussed the initial style. If I say "no layers" I mean it. If I say "cut off x number of inches" then I mean it. If I say "inverted bob" I mean it. I am paying you to cut my hair the way I want it cut, not the way you want it cut. If you think something else would look better then please feel free to propose it to me...but you ultimately need to follow my instructions.

5.) I am practically blind without my glasses. I always mention this at the beginning. As you are clipping and cutting, I can't see what you're doing so at no point during the experience am I able to raise a hand and say "STOP!" I can't see what you're doing. This bears repeating: I can't see what you're doing. So it might help to just kind of...you know...tell me...or maybe let me pop my glasses back on halfway through to make sure that we're all on the same page.

6.) I really really dislike stylists who don't like to talk while I'm in the chair. I prefer my stylists to be chatty. If you're not friendly and you just sit there stone-faced and cut my hair and act like conversing with me is a big pain in the butt, I won't be back. And I won't recommend you to others.

7.) I don't like the last-minute switcheroo. That has happened a couple of times at different salons. I wasn't told about it until I showed up for my appointment and waited for a good 10-15 minutes. "Oh, so and so isn't here today...I will try to find someone else for you, OK?" No, not OK. You should have called as soon as you knew so and so wouldn't be here today. How about this...I just take my business elsewhere? Great.
Exactly, there should be a team effort comming from both sides of the chair. And I am the same about tipping.....at a resaurant, if the service is bad (i have to ask several times for a refill on my drink ect.) the tip will reflect that.

Time to spare? So early...If you appointment is at 11:30, I will get you at 11:30....You show up at 11:20......Sorry, if Im in the back getting a bite to eat, cleaning color bowls from a previous client, folding towels to use on you, or peeing......so sorry, we're not all out back smoking

I know several stylists that do #4. They are under the mindset of, "stylist knows best."......not always true....we aren't going to go home with you to style your hair for you everyday, no, you have to.

All I can say about your# 5 is....when you say you want an inch off ask them to show you what their idea of an inch is, it may be WAY off from yours. I have a very special lady that comes to me with the most gorgeous long hair, I can't even imagine cutting it short! When we trim her, it's so little we call it a "pretend trim"(and no I would never charge full price for something that took me 3 minutes, I do have to sleep at night!).....I use that term alot, you can try it. Good idea, pop on the spectaculars so you can make sure all is in check, if your stylist has an issue with that, she's no good.

In reference to #6, I don't always chat it up, if it is a precision haircut, my mind is focused....id rather focus completely on your hair than maintian a conversation on how many stitches your dog had to have. But while applying color, or doing a basic cut with layers.....let's yakity *** all afternoon

Yes, we have those cushy neck rests for our clients at the shampoo bowl, becuase, ouch, they can be a PAIN IN THE NECK! LOL.

As for you #7 That is a huge no no. Girl, Im so upset when I can't take one of my clients! They should not do that to you, p!$$ poor costumer service on their part!

I truely love my job. The feeling I get when I turn my lovely lady around in the chair and I see her face light up because of something I did! Man, I live for that. I hate calling my clients "client".....they are so much more than that. I get to make people feel good for a living! I wish I could have you in my chair! Id show you how it's really done!

Last edited by saywha; 09-30-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 AM
 
Location: J-ville, FL
218 posts, read 406,809 times
Reputation: 329
Omg Ladies!!! If they are silent to the point of hostile....tell the manager.....Im like,"hello, you signed on to be a stylist, you deal with people everyday.....start talking". You need to feel completely at ease in their chair, please tell me they offer something drink and read while you are processing!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM
 
Location: J-ville, FL
218 posts, read 406,809 times
Reputation: 329
BTW Im 22 and Fabulous!!!! ......Those were just some pet peeves that we've all dealt with. My main client base is boomers, I love 'em I feel like they are all my mom! They're just tips so everyone can enjoy their salon experience! . But, I will say, I love kids! I love 'em, they're great! I HATE TO CUT THEIR HAIR! 8&up is all Ill do. Say what you want, it is what it is.

Last edited by saywha; 09-30-2010 at 08:27 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top