Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
^ I'm sure our own Mr. Blackwell will be along at any moment and tell you that you MUST style that long hair, or you'll look like a pentecostal holy hair-piler.
What would Emily Post say about long hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:40 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I'm getting old. I turned 35 in August I have always had long hair. It's not super long but about 4 inches past my shoulders and it's very thick. My husband loves my long hair and doesn't want me to cut it. At what point is a woman too old for long hair? Does it look foolish after a certain age/make you look older? Shorter hair would be easier for me to maintain in that it easily takes me an hour to blow dry my hair. I am reluctant to cut it because I feel I won't look good with shorter hair.

Thoughts?
You are not getting old Lisa. Do whatever you think is best for you. The main thing is that your hair is healthy. Thick hair is actually great (I also have thick hair). You can do so many things with it. As you've stated the down side of long, thick hair is the length of drying time. If you are really considering cutting your hair, I would start slow with a gradual change. I decided one really hot day that I'd had enough of my long hair, and I got it cut to just above my shoulders. It took me a long time to get used too it, and it had it's own styling issues. If you are reluctant to do it, wait until you are ready.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
My hair has been longer than it is now, so short I could spike it, and every color there is, including fuschia.
Its been curly, its been straight.
I am just now getting a couple of threads of gray, so I am not sure if I am going to start coloring it in the future, I am au naturel now.
My hair is pretty easy to care for, except in the summer, as it has a tendency to frizz, but serum takes care of that.
My hair has a natural wave to it, I learned that it was futile to try to fight it, and flat irons do so much damage, why would I do that?
The only snarky comment I have EVER had about my hair is right here on this thread, go figure.
You go, Annie!
The only snarky comment I ever got was at the DMV when I was renewing my driver's license two years ago. I took out a mirror that I brought just for the occassion to check my hair before the picture. Why don't they put mirrors where they take your picture ?

Anyway......the lady made the comment, "Don't you think you would look younger with short hair?" I just smiled and said no.

Ohhhhhhhh.......what I could have said........she was overweight and had short, old lady hair........ya know the kind I mean........with the curly perm and no shape.

But hey........she was going to take my picture so I had to be nice.

I am not planning on coloring my hair either. My Mom was 65 when she died and her hair was brown with a light sprinkling of gray. You didn't even notice the gray until you got up close.

If my hair goes like my Mom's, I will just leave it be.

I am the envy of all my girlfriends because I am not gray at my age. They have been gray and coloring their hair since their late 30's----early 40's.

I feel blessed that I am not going gray and don't have to spend the time and expense getting it colored.

That said, if you have the right kind of gray hair, I think it can be stricking and beautiful.

I don't think I will ever go with short hair, I just don't think I would look good with it.

Gloria Steinem anyone? I hope I can pull it off like she has.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 AM

122 posts, read 207,703 times
long hair is beautiful,why cut them,because of age?I haven't think about it,because I can image when I old.
p.s:35 is really not old!!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
^ I'm sure our own Mr. Blackwell will be along at any moment and tell you that you MUST style that long hair, or you'll look like a pentecostal holy hair-piler.
Hey, I thought if someone says how their hair is great and says look at my picture that they were open to compliments and criticism. I know when it comes to fashion I will be blunt and honest with my perceptions and expect the same from others when I put myself out there.

I am sorry if honest opinions were not solicited but I have put lots of thoughts into these things in the past and would have given the same stock answer to anyone else if they asked about their hair or directed my attention towards it.

Also generally I do think the very long hair should be styled, maybe layer it, have it choppy towards the tips so it does not look all even....and it is no insult in my mind to say maybe someone's hair needs styling...neither do I think it is an insult to compare long straight hair to Pentecostal hair, especially when I have very fond memories of the women in the churches I grew up in.

Yes, I do think some of those women needed styling, but there is this whole spiritual (magical) reason for it, and to me I find it all endearing, and if someone is comfortable like that then my advice is just that, it does not have to be taken, but I will be careful to ask before offering any similar criticism here from now on since I know it is unwelcome in this forum but from me you will find no dishonest opinions when asked.

Sorry for being rude, that is what others thought, and of course while everyone will have a different opinion I agree with others that one has to be comfortable with their own style regardless of compliments or criticism.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
I agree nobody should feel pressured to cut their hair because of other's people's opinion, we should all be empowered to express our individuality. That said, I do think there is some truth that, at a certain age, most women do look older with long hair. However, there is nothing wrong with looking your age, at any age. People should feel free to embrace aging. The fact is, as we age everyone loses facial fat and bone loss resulting in loss of tone, some sagging, etc. Because it happens gradually, we tend not to notice it on ourselves until it's fairly hard to ignore. With loss of facial tone, long hair can draw attention to facial aging. I think that is why people think every woman over 35 or 40 should have shorter hair. But there are plenty of beautiful older women with long hair! Maybe its because they aren't self conscious about their age? So, don't succumb to societal pressure, if you like your hair long, that's all that matters.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:52 AM

That is pretty interesting nurider and is this why men appear to age slower than women? Because men usually have shorter hair?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:36 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Hey, I thought if someone says how their hair is great and says look at my picture that they were open to compliments and criticism. I know when it comes to fashion I will be blunt and honest with my perceptions and expect the same from others when I put myself out there.

I am sorry if honest opinions were not solicited but I have put lots of thoughts into these things in the past and would have given the same stock answer to anyone else if they asked about their hair or directed my attention towards it.

Also generally I do think the very long hair should be styled, maybe layer it, have it choppy towards the tips so it does not look all even....and it is no insult in my mind to say maybe someone's hair needs styling...neither do I think it is an insult to compare long straight hair to Pentecostal hair, especially when I have very fond memories of the women in the churches I grew up in.

Yes, I do think some of those women needed styling, but there is this whole spiritual (magical) reason for it, and to me I find it all endearing, and if someone is comfortable like that then my advice is just that, it does not have to be taken, but I will be careful to ask before offering any similar criticism here from now on since I know it is unwelcome in this forum but from me you will find no dishonest opinions when asked.

Sorry for being rude, that is what others thought, and of course while everyone will have a different opinion I agree with others that one has to be comfortable with their own style regardless of compliments or criticism.
Heres the deal, and I am going to be blunt as well.
Who told you that you had any taste?
I have yet to see any evidence that you have any, except for telling women what they should and should not do, without offering anything in the way of showing that you know what you are speaking of.
I make a living from having good taste, and a pretty good living at that.
AND, I can back it up.
My design work has been featured in several magazines and books.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 AM

So I read this very interesting article in W discussing the following as well as the history of changing attitudes regarding older women with long hair.

Quote:
And it goes without saying that one needs to dress appropriately to balance the look. “If you have long hair and you’re wearing age-appropriate clothing, it looks perfect, finished,” says Lauder. “But if you have long hair and very young clothing, it looks bizarre.”

Here, McMillan wouldn’t disagree: “If you’re going to have long hair, keep the outfit simple. A lot of women I see in Malibu, they’re overtanned, their long hair overstreaked. They think they’re twinsies with their daughters, and that’s not appropriate. When you’re in your 40s, you’ve got to keep it chic and simple. Do a long bang that swoops to the side with soft layers around the face, or a low ponytail like Carolyn Bessette. She was the perfect example of chic long hair.”

In fact, Lauder also cites the late Kennedy wife as a long-haired icon of hers. “I used to always rip out pictures of her and wanted to get my hair cut like that,” she confesses. “That’s who inspired me to cut layers.”
http://www.wmagazine.com/beauty/2008/02/long_hair

I also think "long, layered hair looks very feminine, pretty and soft" but layers also look good on short hair too.

Last edited by Merovee; 10-22-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
From today's New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/fa...rror.html?_r=1

Quote:
No one seems to have any problems when a woman of a certain age cuts her hair off. It is considered the appropriate thing to do, as if being shorn is a way of releasing oneself from the locks of the past. I can see the appeal, and have, at times in my life, gone that route. Some women want to wash the men (or jobs) right out of their hair. Others of us have to have at them with scissors. Again, I do not judge. Go right ahead, be a 60-year-old pixie.
So why do people judge middle-aged long hair so harshly?
It's your hair, so you can do whatever you want with it, but honestly, I think a lot of women with long hair think it looks better than it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care