Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:26 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,558,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Oh Gosh Nannie reds are tricky. I often have to go back over my white roots which glow with red dye. I just brush a light neutral brown dye over the bright areas and blend with a comb. It will tone down that glow. Of course this is for an auburn shade, so that it will blend with the back. One of those roots only kits may do the trick.
Good advice -thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,933,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I am getting some grey hair, so i've decided to dye my hair, but have never done it myself. Anyone here dye his/her own hair? Is there a good, safe product/kit out there ? How long does it normally take? What pre-planning do i need to do? Also, i've cut my hair pretty short recently, so is it easier to let it grow first before dying my hair? Thanks.
As hair dyes are toxic, I no longer use mainstream brands. I like Naturecolor: View Colors (http://www.naturcolor.com/color.htm - broken link)

It can be found in Whole Foods, other health stores, and online.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,010,812 times
Quote:
I am getting some grey hair, so i've decided to dye my hair, but have never done it myself. Anyone here dye his/her own hair? Is there a good, safe product/kit out there ? How long does it normally take? What pre-planning do i need to do? Also, i've cut my hair pretty short recently, so is it easier to let it grow first before dying my hair? Thanks.
I used to do my hair at home but I found that it was being badly damaged. My advice is to go to a hairdresser if you can afford to. They will make certain that your hair is not damaged. Just my opinion.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,933,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I used to do my hair at home but I found that it was being badly damaged. My advice is to go to a hairdresser if you can afford to. They will make certain that your hair is not damaged. Just my opinion.

20yrsinBranson
Depends on the dye... Try the one I just posted.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,401,433 times
I use Henna by the "hennahut". You can google it. This works great if you want red/reddish hair. The color I use is mixed with natural indigo (plant color), no chemicals, so completely safe and it is not the "orange color" people expect from henna. It is a burgundy red... I love it and it makes you hair very shiny.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM

27,240 posts, read 27,302,889 times

Anyone can do it, really pretty easy. Ive been doing it for years and have used lots and lots of colours, reds, blacks, blondes, but if youve never done it before, maybe its wise to get someone to do it for you.
I use the Clairol stuff, runs about 4 bucks a box, done.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,265,964 times
Just use ANY store bought kit. Should be very easy to cover the gray. Just look on the package to see how long the effects last. Seriously you cannot mess this up, unless you spill stuff on the carpet.

One thing about henna - it coats your hair and never comes off, and this could make recoloring it with a dye difficult. So unless you are gonna stick with henna and have no plans to use a chemical dye, I would not start there. If you decide on henna it is a great option too.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,239,642 times
Quote:

My advice is to be sure that you can stick with it once you start.

I've been dying my hair for so long that I really don't know just how gray it is. But two weeks later it needs touched up again. My husband cannot believe how fast my hair grows.

Anymore I often wish I'd never started. It's a big chore now. But I have long hair and do not wish to whack it off. Nor do I have the balls to just let it grow out like one of my friends did (she made herself go through the half-n-half look and it was awful ~ she looked like a street urchin).

I dye my own and use Clairol. I like it but have noticed that it's beginning to sting my scalp a bit during process, so I'm thinking about changing to something else.

You may want to try out non-permanent colors before deciding on the right look.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM

344 posts, read 990,722 times
I've wondered about the new "touch-up " dyes. If I apply it to just my roots, will there be line where I touched it up and where I didn't? How can there not be a line?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,810,743 times
I have used Loreal Preference for years and it is the only one I like. Excellence is also good but leaves a richer, somewhat darker shade. Just have to determine whether your hair is a warm or cool tone, that makes all the difference in how things will turn out (trust me on this). If you have darker hair, this can be tricky. Ash tones on gray will not turn out very well, can go somewhat green.

I would start out with a semi-permanent color at first to see what color really works for you...it fades out after about 4 weeks.

I would definitely go in for a consultation with a colorist and see what they say...but they should be able to tell you what tones would work best. No obligation to have them color your hair (but I wouldn't recommend telling them you want to color your own hair).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care