Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 AM

12 posts, read 29,533 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed that short hair for young women seems to be out of style. At my daughters High School 99% of the girls have long hair. At my other daughters College 95% of the young women have long straight hair.

Long hair on girls and women can be really pretty but it gets kind of boring when nearly everyone has the same hair.

Another thing I notice is curly hair is also out of style. Everyone who has naturally curly hair has to straighten it to fit the fashion of the times.

Do young women in High School or College have short hair in your community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 AM

236 posts, read 860,030 times
Some girls at my school have short hair. It's not a big thing here either. I personnaly don't like short hair on girls. Yeah, we don't really curl our hair either. Unless it's picture day.

Nice long flippy hair. Flip it like you're in a LoReal commercial.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
I love long hair women, it's normal, it's more female ^_^

Old 02-13-2011, 05:50 AM

12 posts, read 29,533 times
If you reply PLEASE don't turn this thread into a discussion about the glories of long hair. I think many people have already discussed this topic on city data a thousand times. I am just curious if in your community if you have noticed that about 99% of the young woman have long straight hair. (What happened to all the girls who use to wear a short pixie and looked great? Did society and the fashion world make them have extentions or grow their hair out as slaves of the current fashion trend towards long hair?)

Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 AM

34 posts, read 105,068 times
It doesn't necessarily have to be about fashion. When you have long hair, you have a lot more options to work with-wear it up, wear it down, curl it, straighten it, braids, or go ahead and chop it off if you're bored with everything else. But with a pixie cut, that's pretty much it. And if you ever want to do something different then you're going to have to wait it out through some really awkward growth phases.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
not too mention, few women or girls look good with really short hair. you really have to have the right facial structure to pull it off. long hair is flattering for almost every face shape- plus, as mentioned gives more options.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
not too mention, few women or girls look good with really short hair. you really have to have the right facial structure to pull it off. long hair is flattering for almost every face shape- plus, as mentioned gives more options.
Totally agree that you have to be able to pull it off.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Very short hair also requires more frequent, and usually therefore more costly maintenance than longer hair. When I wear my hair long, I can really stretch out the time between cuts. Can't do that with a short style and still have it look good. I find shorter hair to be much higher maintenance than is preferable to me. I'm guessing others do, too, which is why the majority of women I see have a more midlength hair. Very long hair, though, is fairly uncommon. The most common thing I see is somewhere between chin and shoulderblade-grazing length, esp. in my age range (early thirties). The teens I see tend to keep it a little longer, but shoulder length still seems most common. I can see why...doesn't need frequent trims to look presentable, versatile, can be easily pulled up into a ponytail or knot for active pursuits (most teens I see, other than the ones I work with, are local high school sports players, who I see at the community center gym, where they're likely to have their hair pulled up while they exercise). A midlength works well for that.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:04 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Regular Guy View Post
If you reply PLEASE don't turn this thread into a discussion about the glories of long hair. I think many people have already discussed this topic on city data a thousand times. I am just curious if in your community if you have noticed that about 99% of the young woman have long straight hair. (What happened to all the girls who use to wear a short pixie and looked great? Did society and the fashion world make them have extentions or grow their hair out as slaves of the current fashion trend towards long hair?)
Yes, I've noticed it. The hair is usually just hanging there and not cut in any real style. It must be tough on hair stylists who like to be artistic and create unique styles. I think a nice shorter style that is maintained (and what is wrong with that?) looks great on young women. It is hard to make long straight hair look well groomed unless it is naturally thick and in perfect shape. A lot of the girls I see don't seem to care very much and it looks stringy, but that is also seems to be what is in - the bedhead, don't care, look.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes, I've noticed it. The hair is usually just hanging there and not cut in any real style. It must be tough on hair stylists who like to be artistic and create unique styles. I think a nice shorter style that is maintained (and what is wrong with that?)
Nothing's wrong with it. It just takes additional time and money. If somebody doesn't WANT to spend the extra time or money, or it doesn't fit her lifestyle to do so, growing one's hair longer is often the more convenient option.

I personally think it's pretty easy to keep longer hair well-groomed and in good condition. Wash and condition as needed, but no more than is needed (most longer hair doesn't need to be washed daily, and doing so can dry it out and increase breakage, depending on other variables), keep it brushed, and avoid heat styling when possible. Still will need trims every couple of months for split ends, just from normal wear and tear. But this pretty low-maintenance method works pretty well for keeping hair neat and in good condition.

If somebody's hair is "stringy," it's likely because it's dirty/too heavy a hand with product, or because they were unfortunately not blessed with a nice hair texture. Length isn't going to change any of that, though. Some fine hair can look, better super short than longer, but it will also depend on a lot of other factors whether that's a flattering look. Some women will have a hair texture that lends itself well to a short, pixie look, but unfortunately, the bone structure of their face makes the look unflattering, just the same. Likewise, thick, very vividly textured hair, cut into a shorter cut, can look bushy or like an animal pelt, which isn't always a great look either.

I'm not pro or against short hair, or long hair (I do think the in-between hair can be a little boring, but I'm not for or against that, either). But I do recognize that there's a significant myth out there in the world of hairstyling that claims that the shorter the hair, the easier the maintenance. I didn't find this to be the case, at all. To me, the easiest maintenance of all is hair that is long enough that it can be swept off my face and pulled back and secured, and that doesn't require trims more than six weeks apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care